Homemade Laundry Detergent Without Borax

Category Laundry
Many laundry detergent recipes list borax as an ingredient, however there are many other recipes that do not. This is a guide about homemade laundry detergent without borax.

Has anyone got a recipe for homemade laundry detergent that does NOT include borax? I CANNOT find it in my country. I have an automatic front loader. Washing soda and laundry bar soap is easily available here. Any suggestions please? Most detergents here in Malta are imported and they are very expensive. Thanks.

Answers

Best Answer

Cettina: borax is nice to add to your recipe because it boosts the cleaning power of soap but it's not necessary. You can do without or substitute the following: baking soda(deodorizing) or white vinegar(fights mildew and mold and brightens colors -- but never use vinegar and bleach together, they produce toxic fumes). Hope this helps!

Best Answer

Try this recipe:

1 cup of shredded laundry soap
1/2 cup washing soda
1/2 cup all fabric bleach OR oxyclean

Mix all the ingredients and use 1 tablespoon for light loads or 2 tablespoons for heavy loads. This is a dry detergent form recipe and it will not suds up but, it cleans great!

You don't have to use borax in the homemade detergent. You could use all fabric bleach instead or even oxyclean.

I don't know what borax is coz it's unavailable here, so I didn't know if I could leave it out. Yes, we get imported fabric bleach from Italy here so can I use the same amount (more or less) when I make up the recipe instead of borax? Washing soda and Oxyclean are both readily available here. Can I substitute any of these instead too?

If anyone has any suggestions for a recipe I could use that they have found works, I would be very grateful. I can get laundry soap easily here, again imported from Italy or U.K. ANY HELP WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED. I live on a tiny island in the middle of the Mediterranean Sea and the water has a lot of limestone in it. I don't know if that's relevant or not.