Preserving Ornamental Gourds

Proper preservation of ornamental gourds can keep them looking good for a long time. This is a guide about preserving ornamental gourds.

Ornamental Gourds
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Purchase small gourds to use this year and then allow them to dry for next year. Small gourds take several months to dry so better get started now.

several gourds

CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How do I preserve ornamental gourds so they don't rot and you can use them for over a year? Is this possible?

By Julie from Chicopee, MA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Ornamental gourds are marvelous for making decorations. My son is a gourd artist and has won prizes for his work, which is mostly Native American designs. He even made a very life-like papoose from a large one. They can be carved with a knife or dremel, and painted.

Good luck

Pat

Read More Answers...

A basket with brightly painted gourds.

Let your fall gourds dry after October and Thanksgiving use. Clean and paint back to what they looked like when they were first used. You will have gourds for years to come to use with out rebuying.

Connie - Ballwin, Missouri

We happen to have an old swing set in the backyard. So this year, I took the gourds off the vine, and took a hammer and long nail and punched 4 holes in the bottom of the gourds. Took twine and attached it to the stems and hung the gourds on the swing set and let the sun dry them. They are drying just fine. Last year I put them in my basement and had a mess on the floor as they dripped from the holes in the bottom, and lost quite of few from rot.

By Pat from Solley, MD

Crafts NatureMay 17, 2013
Snowman Gourds
Making Snowman Gourds
Growing Gourds
Growing Gourds
Painted gourds.
Painting Gourds
Painting Gourds
Crafts Made With Gourds
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 25, 2016 at 12:52:01 PM on 10.0.0.154 in 677 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.