Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Preserving Ornamental Gourds

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Ornamental Gourds

Proper preservation of ornamental gourds can keep them looking good for a long time. This is a guide about preserving ornamental gourds.

Solutions: Preserving Ornamental Gourds

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Refurbishing Gourds

A basket with brightly painted gourds.

Let your fall gourds dry after October and Thanksgiving use. Clean and paint back to what they looked like when they were first used. You will have gourds for years to come to use with out rebuying.

Connie - Ballwin, Missouri

Tip: Hanging Gourds Outside To Dry

We happen to have an old swing set in the backyard. So this year, I took the gourds off the vine, and took a hammer and long nail and punched 4 holes in the bottom of the gourds. Took twine and attached it to the stems and hung the gourds on the swing set and let the sun dry them. They are drying just fine. Last year I put them in my basement and had a mess on the floor as they dripped from the holes in the bottom, and lost quite of few from rot.

By Pat from Solley, MD

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Preserving Ornamental Gourds.

Question: Preserving Ornamental Gourds

How do I preserve ornamental gourds so they don't rot and you can use them for over a year? Is this possible?

By Julie from Chicopee, MA

Most Recent Answer

By Pat [11]10/06/2010

Ornamental gourds are marvelous for making decorations. My son is a gourd artist and has won prizes for his work, which is mostly Native American designs. He even made a very life-like papoose from a large one. They can be carved with a knife or dremel, and painted.
Good luck
Pat