Preventing Soggy Pie Crust

Enjoying the perfect piece of pie is always the goal. This guide is about preventing soggy pie crust.

April 29, 2008 Flag

To prevent crust from becoming soggy with cream pie, sprinkle crust with powered sugar.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 9, 2009 Flag

I just took a homemade baked apple pie from the freezer. After cutting it I see that the bottom crust is soggy, as if not baked enough. It was thoroughly baked. How can I keep this from happening again? Especially when I want to do more fruit pies? Thanks for the help.

By Joan from Girard, PA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I used to freeze unbaked apple pies. After defrosting, I would pop them in the oven. They always tasted very fresh.

I've heard that you can crush a cup or two of corn flakes (cereal) and put them on the bottom crust before adding your fruit filling. Not sure if it works or not, but it makes sense to me. Also, I think Mulberry204's suggestion would work well also.

Try putting butter on the bottom crust before filling it. I find that helps. It makes a barrier for the liquid.

I have 2 apple trees, 2 cherry trees, and 4 pecan trees. Every year I bake/freeze apple or cherry pie. I prefer to save my pecans and crack as needed to bake pecan pie, because I think that freezing an already baked pecan pie gives it a taste that just isn't as good as fresh.

Back to your question. I never have soggy bottom pies when I thaw them out for serving. I think this is because I don't make a fresh apple pie--I cook my filling first & add it to my homemade pie shell while it is still boiling hot (the trick is to not add as much of the thickened juices as usual--just enough to make the pie not seem dry), then top with my top crust, cut the vents, and bake as usual. After cooling completely, I freeze it without wrapping. Once frozen solid I wrap the whole thing in heavy duty aluminum foil; label, date & put it back in the freezer.

When I take the pie from the freezer I put it in a 350 oven and bake it until it is thawed and is nice and brown. Let it cool and the crust was always good.

Beat an egg and use a brush to brush the crust before you add the filling. You can do this on the bottom crust and top crust.

Food and Recipes Food Tips Baking PastriesOctober 22, 2013
An apple pie with a delicious looking pie crust.
Pie Crust Tips and Tricks
Pie Crust Recipes
Pie Crust Recipes
Photo of vanilla wafer cookies which can be used to make pie crust.
Cookie Pie Crust Recipes
Sandwich with a packed lunch.
Keeping Sandwiches From Getting Soggy
🎉
🎄