Browsing: Preventing Soggy Pie Crust

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Preventing Soggy Pie Crust

Enjoying the perfect piece of pie is always the goal. This guide is about preventing soggy pie crust.

A piece of apple pie with crispy crust.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

April 29, 2008 Flag

To prevent crust from becoming soggy with cream pie, sprinkle crust with powered sugar.

August 9, 2009 Flag

I just took a homemade baked apple pie from the freezer. After cutting it I see that the bottom crust is soggy, as if not baked enough. It was thoroughly baked. How can I keep this from happening again? Especially when I want to do more fruit pies? Thanks for the help.

By Joan from Girard, PA

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try putting butter on the bottom crust before filling it. I find that helps. It makes a barrier for the liquid.

I have 2 apple trees, 2 cherry trees, and 4 pecan trees. Every year I bake/freeze apple or cherry pie. I prefer to save my pecans and crack as needed to bake pecan pie, because I think that freezing an already baked pecan pie gives it a taste that just isn't as good as fresh.

Back to your question. I never have soggy bottom pies when I thaw them out for serving. I think this is because I don't make a fresh apple pie--I cook my filling first & add it to my homemade pie shell while it is still boiling hot (the trick is to not add as much of the thickened juices as usual--just enough to make the pie not seem dry), then top with my top crust, cut the vents, and bake as usual. After cooling completely, I freeze it without wrapping. Once frozen solid I wrap the whole thing in heavy duty aluminum foil; label, date & put it back in the freezer.

When I take the pie from the freezer I put it in a 350 oven and bake it until it is thawed and is nice and brown. Let it cool and the crust was always good.

Beat an egg and use a brush to brush the crust before you add the filling. You can do this on the bottom crust and top crust.

Read More Answers...
Food and Recipes Food Tips Baking PastriesOctober 22, 2013
An apple pie with a delicious looking pie crust.
Pie Crust Tips and Tricks
Pie Crust Recipes
Pie Crust Recipes
Photo of vanilla wafer cookies which can be used to make pie crust.
Cookie Pie Crust Recipes
Sandwich with a packed lunch.
Keeping Sandwiches From Getting Soggy
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 21, 2016 at 4:09:01 PM on 10.0.0.143 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.