Problem With Varathane Floor Finish

I had a floor redone down to the bare wood and the floor guy put oil base stain with a water based varathane (Varathane Diamond Polyurethane) on top. It's grainy and there are some rough spots like the grain has been raised. Is this a product mix problem? a prep problem? or both? I am concerned about mixing oil and water, but he said it was fine and I believed him. Now I am unhappy and my floors are a mess. Any ideas?

Lightly sand floor and put one more thin coat on. You can start this process by thickly pouring cooking soda on entire floor and pouring enough water on soda to make a thick scrubbing paste.
Scrub the paste with large sponge.
Rinse floor clean with mop and cold water. Let dry then sand lightly, then proceed. Whala a new floor to die for.
An old gentleman showed us this when we did our old chicken coop floors. (03/16/2005)

By Crazy Horse

Problem With Varathane Floor Finish

Anytime you use a water based product to seal wood there is a tendency in some woods for the grain to raise, like hair on an arm. Lightly knock the hair down with as high a grit sand paper you can find, then clean floor and recover with another coat of water based polyurethane. The water based product was suggested to you because of the low or little VOC's that will off gas from your floor over the next while. (09/19/2005)

By unknown

Problem With Varathane Floor Finish

I do it all the time and it is fine as long as he let the stain dry long enough. What you have is called grain raise which is caused by the water in the finish and is normal. The floor should have been buffed and another coat applied this would of helped. (4 coats are best 1 stain, 3 top coats with buffing in between) There is a product made for applying over stain that doesn't give grain raise and is compatible with water base urethane, it sounds like he does not know about it. This does not make his job wrong it just helps to avoid this kind of problem. It sounds like he needs to just buff floor and apply another coat. That's what I would do. Good luck. (03/13/2008)

By Tim Restore A Floor and Install service LLC

Problem With Varathane Floor Finish
sweeping a floor
Floor Sweeping Tips
Homemade Wood Floor Cleaner Recipes
Homemade Wood Floor Cleaner Recipes
dirty garage floor
Removing Oil Stains from Garage Floor
A wood table with a varathane finish.
Varathane Finish is Still Tacky