Problems with Neighbors' Cats

Category Cats
Neighbor Cat on a fence
You neighbor's outdoor cats can be quite a problem. This is a guide about problems with neighbors' cats.

Just wondering if anyone could get me some ideas for how to keep cats from peeing on everything outside. They are not my cats. I have heard that moth balls help but it didn't for me. Please I need help.

Charlena from Cincinnati, OH

Best Answer

Try sprinkling a mix of 4 parts flour, 1 part cayenne pepper on your flower beds. The smell will keep the cats from pawing the area.

Best Answer

My advice is to check your city guide lines. Where we are from you are only allowed to own so many animals within city limits. You can also check with your SPCA and have them look into the problem. If the cats are not being taken care of (I don't know if they are or not), they will be removed and cared for until they can find them a good home. I have also heard the idea of putting full water jugs around your yard, but have never had it work. Have you talked with your neighbor about the problem? Maybe together you can work on a way to solve it.

Best Answer

OK, this is what I have done. In our old house we had a pool that the neighbor's cat loved to sun near. He would lay all over our towels, rub his fur off on the fence, etc. I talked with the neighbors and they just thought it was funny. . . even when I told them that my husband and oldest daughter were terribly allergic and this triggers and asthma attack.

So, I did two things. One, I got an empty aluminum can, filled it with a few pennies, put duct tape over the hole, and would throw it near the cat. The noise would scare it off. When that stopped scaring it. I purchased one of those boat blow horns. Yup, scared the crap out of the cat and I then had a scared cat and that was that. He no longer came over to my home. No animal was injured, no one had asthma attacks anymore and all was well. The family moved shortly thereafter!

Best Answer

I left this feedback for another question but it will work for cats or other animals pooping in your planted areas anyway. Since we did this we haven't had ANY animals using our garden for a latrine.

We used to have problems with rabbits, coons, and armadillos getting to our garden produce and container tomatoes. We were told about laying bird or deer netting down all around our garden. The critters don't like to walk on the netting and it doesn't harm them other than to scare them away. We just leave the netting down and cut holes thru to plant our garden. Lowes has a 7'x100' roll for about 13 bucks.

Something else I heard about but never tried is to buy an ultrasonic pest control. You plug it in and lots of critters can't stand the noises it emits while it won't bother you. I looked at them but didn't want to risk $20 on it but you might be desperate enough.

Best Answer

Do not use black pepper. It is toxic and can be fatal. Use small amount of cayenne. Or better yet, try talking to the neighbor.

Best Answer

Cats hate lemons. Put dried peels and lemon citronella in your yard, flowers, etc. I hope that helps.

I have two neighbors that love leaving their cats and kittens outside all the time. If they are not meowing the cats are peeing on my windows, doors, anywhere they can. I try to be a responsible pet owner and keep my cat inside or on a leash like our dog when they are outside. I've tried several powders and sprays to keep them away and so far nothing seems to work.

Now because of the outside cats/kittens my cat is starting to pee everywhere. I don't know what else to do. I am at my wits end and I don't want to have to get rid of my cat because of other pet owners and their carelessness. Please I would love some advice on what I can try or do to fix this problem. I would try the motion sensor water sprinkler, but being in an apartment complex we have none, at least ours doesn't. Please help!

Best Answer

If you live in an apartment, you need to talk to your landlord about this problem. If the cats are peeing on your apartment they are probably peeing inside their own as well. This may be something the owner would like to know about.

Hi folks , I am having MAJOR problems with my neighbors cats ( live in a manufactured home community) and they let cats run wild. I own no cats, yet my entire driveway and yard is FILLED with cat poop. I can't walk to my car without being assaulted! I am tired of cleaning my driveway EVERYDAY and I want my 1yr old daughter to be able to play in her yard without all the poop land mines.

Nicole

Answers:

Problems with Neighbors Cats

First, are you sure it is your neighbor's cats you're having a problem with? I have never heard of cats pooping all over. Cats normally dig a hole before they poop and cover up afterwards. What you describe sounds more like a dog to me.

Cat repellent sprays and gels are available from many plant nurseries, pet stores, and some hardware stores (Shake-Away, Cat Stop and Scat are a few names). You can also try making up your own repellent using a number of scents that cats dislike. We suggest trying the following:

• A mix of ground black pepper & chili
  • Scatter citrus peel (oranges & lemons) around the garden
  • Place pine cones around near garden borders
  • Plant geraniums, marigolds and petunias, cats apparently dislike those plants
  • Grow spiky plants near areas you want to keep cats from (base of trees that attract birds)
With thanks to the Community Biodiversity Network for these hints.

(09/22/2004)

By FlaKathy

Problems with Neighbors Cats

I put chicken wire down in the gardens in between the plants, and the cats do not like to dig in wire.Our neighbor had the same problem and we put big rocks in between the chicken wire and planted in the wire, so there was no space to dig and squat. The plants grew up and there was no room left. The stuff in the drive way is dog doo. We also had a squirt bottle handy , when a cat came wandering. Just water in the bottle works.

(09/25/2004)

By Susan from Hamilton

Problems with Neighbors Cats

I've never tried this myself, but apparently you get some plastic soft drink bottles and fill them with water, then place them around the yard. That's it! For some reason this is supposed to keep intruding cats and dogs away. Hope it works! (10/12/2004)

By Cathy

Problems with Neighbors Cats

Wow, that's a big problem! I read 33825-4730's response and I believe he/she may be right when he/she talked about cats burying their waste, and that it may be dog's going in your yard. As for the cats, I used to have alot of cats hang around my yard as well. I just bought a large outside dog to scare off the cats, they haven't showed up since then.
(11/10/2004)

By Steven S

Problems with Neighbors Cats

We have one of those odd cats. We have a fenced in yard. I have seen our orange female fixed cat poop and pee all over the yard doesn't even try to bury it. There is even a covered litter box outside. We have 3 cats in this area. One climbs the fence and leaves when she chooses and uses the box. another uses the box ( we can see it from the kitchen sink window) the orange one goes anywhere just squats and poops and walks away. Its killing the lawn and makes for an annoying minefield. We used cat repellent powder didn't do any good because cats "normally" smell the ground first and thats how the repellent works well our cat doesn't smell the ground so repellents don't work. We can't spray her because we aren't going to sit outside all day and watch the cat hoping she goes to do it we have to work. We are at our wits end. (01/19/2005)

By Joe

Problems with Neighbors Cats

Hi, I do a lot of cat rescue work and I know what you mean about people who let their cats run wild. Those cats are probably unaltered as well, which contributes to the problem of overpopulation and also nuisance behavior and noise.

To start with, you might talk to the management of the complex about requiring that their tenants spay/neuter their cats. That will cut down on the population. As for the cats who are already there, there may be a cat group in your area that will spay or neuter them for free. Check the internet for listings. Having said that, there are some things you can do to discourage cats from coming into your yard. Sprinkling citrus peels around (they hate the smell), putting a sprinkler out there or spraying them with the hose may also deter them. It's hard to imagine them pooping in the driveway - cats bury their poop so either there's just no place for them to go or possibly it's a small dog... but they will get into your yard and flower beds. The main thing is to remember that it's not the fault of the cats - it's the irresponsible owners. Good Luck. (05/03/2005)

By Ginger