Puppy is Aggressive Towards Other Dog

My male 3 month old Chi Pin puppy Ozzy is aggressive towards my 3 year old Chi Pin male Buddy. Buddy is very sweet and obedient and we believe he does not want to hurt the puppy. Buddy looks and sounds like he's fighting back, but he has never hurt Ozzy.

The puppy does listen when I tell him no, but goes right back to attacking Buddy. Does anyone have any advice for how to handle this? I don't want to end up screaming at him, but he has already caused Buddy's eye and lip to swell.

jklovdogs from Lafayette, LA

Puppy is Aggressive Towards Other Dog

I think they are determining who will be the Alpha. Until one of them rolls over on their back to submit it will continue. It's a normal dog thing, but can be distressing. You might call your vet for advice or I'm sure someone on here will have some advice. Good luck. (03/20/2009)

By Wendopolis

Puppy is Aggressive Towards Other Dog

I love that someone with toy dogs took a pic of what they're really like instead of showing them sitting in a dress.

Often a nervous dog is forced into the role because owners are not being effective leaders. It sounds like the pup might be claiming you as property and guarding you by attacking the other dog.

Scaring off a dog is not the same thing as firm discipline. Never raise your voice because the second you do; you have lost all control and respect from your dogs. Calmly, but firmly is how you need to speak. Even better is to correct them with a short, firm sound right before they do bad things and no other speaking.

Don't pick up the pup to stop them, because that is rewarding their bad behavior. You may even try leaving the room to see if that stops your pup. You may have to repeat your actions numerous times, but you must always stand firm no matter how long it seems to take. Stand firm just a few times and the pup will learn their place, which is obeying you, not claiming ownership of you.

Keep up with allowing them plenty of play time, also. Tired dogs are well behaved dogs who sleep. Non exercised dogs have numerous behavior problems and are always looking for something to burn off their nervous energies. (03/21/2009)

By dh8

Puppy is Aggressive Towards Other Dog

Go to animalbehavior.net. Free to join. Very informative. (03/22/2009)

By maggie3956

Puppy is Aggressive Towards Other Dog

Use a water spray bottle turned to a stream. Are you sure he's being aggressive and not just playing? (03/22/2009)

By joycehorner

Puppy is Aggressive Towards Other Dog
Aggressive Dog
Dog is Aggressive Towards Other Resident Dogs
Aggressive Puppy
Training an Aggressive Puppy
Aggressive dog bearing it's teeth and growling.
Dog is Aggressive Towards Children
Toddler Being Aggressive
Toddler Being Aggressive Towards Younger Sibling