Recipes Using Wasabi

Category Condiments
wasabi horseradish and paste
Often called Japanese horseradish, this hot condiment is prepared from the plant stems. Being difficult to cultivate, wasabi is rarely found outside of Japan, and is often prepared with horseradish, mustard and green food coloring. This page contains recipes using wasabi.

I thank Pookarina/Julia for this one! She knows how much I love hot and spicy, so a few weeks ago she sent me a link for an international internet store that sells just about every kind of hot and spicy sauce and other hot and spicy items from around the world you can imagine.

While perusing the site I came upon an item called Wasabi Bombs which are wasabi coated peanuts. Intriguing, but I certainly can't afford the price of the bombs plus shipping. Yearning became the mother of invention ;-)

I searched the web for Wasabi nut recipe ideas and combined a few recipes.

Here's the combination I came up with and like the best. So far I've used it for peanuts and almonds and the next ones that I want to try are cashews, macadamia, pine nuts, and pistachios. I use wasabi powder in this recipe, because it stays fresher longer in the original container than wasabi paste does.

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a roasting pan with foil, lightly greased.

Stir the wasabi powder and water together to make a paste in a large bowl, add cornstarch and stir just until blended.

Whisk in egg white until foamy, add nuts and toss well to coat. Spread nuts in a single layer in roasting pan and bake, gently turning two or three times, for 30 to 40 minutes or until nuts are roasted and dry.

Allow to cool before serving. The nuts will stay fresh in an airtight container for about a week.

By Deeli from Richland, WA

No more boring taters! Try this Japanese spice to "spice up those spuds a notch". You can find it in most supermarkets these days, just ask which aisle. These taters are a great companion for steak but also nice with fish and poultry.

Wasabi is not just for Sushi anymore. There are many, many uses for Wasabi including main dishes and yummy salad dressing. :-)

Ingredients

Directions

Peel and cut potatoes in to quarters and boil until tender. Drain and mash well. Add butter and stir until butter is melted. Add remaining ingredients and mix well.

I like to make up an extra batch to save time for later enjoyment because mashers refrigerate/freeze well to reheat at a later time.

By Deeli from Richland, WA