Recycle Yarn From Old Sweaters

Instead of paying $10 or more for a good skein of yarn, I recycle old sweaters from Goodwill/Salvation Army! There is a great tutorial listed online at:

So far, I have paid $3 for a total of 3 sweaters and gotten 10 large sized balls of yarn in total. The key is to look for a sweater with the correct seam (as listed in the tutorial) and be very careful when seam ripping. But if you do it right, it will be a great source of new yarn. Once it has been knitted or crocheted, no one will ever know the difference!

By Concetta from Westmont, IL

Answers:

Recycle Yarn From Old Sweaters

I do the same thing! Great way to get lots of great 100% wool yarns too! I love to save money. I get yarn from my local dollar stores and 99cents stores too. I'd rather pay a buck for novelty yarns than 6 dollars at Micheal's. Not always the same stuff all the time, but when I find what I like, I get every color and all I can carry! Don't forget to look at yard sales too, great prices!
(04/23/2007)

By ficklephonebug

Recycle Yarn From Old Sweaters

LOLOL! Me too. I started about 10 years ago (after several mistakes of buying some with unfinished edging) and now have a cache of yarn in every imaginable color! This is a great way to save and recycle. It's important to remember to keep the yarn loose when you re-roll, and opt only for sweaters that still feel "live". Look for elasticity in the yarn. U*u*U (04/23/2007)

By Doggy

A knitted item with a ball of yarn being unraveled from it.
Recycle Yarn From Old Sweaters
Recycle Sweaters into Scarves
Recycling Sweaters into Scarves
knitting needles
Using Eyelash Yarn
Sweaters
Removing Lint from Sweaters
Trellis Yarn Necklace
Making Trellis Yarn Jewelry
🎄
🍂