Removing Lint from Sweaters

Category Clothing
Sweaters tend to collect lint and require attention to remove it and keep them looking good. This is a guide about removing lint from sweaters.

Is there anything that I can put in my dryer to remove lint from dark clothing (black, blue, and red sweaters)? I don't dry the sweaters in the dryer, but I can't get the fine lint off using a clothes brush after they are dry. It seems to make them look faded.

Kristy from Oxford, MS

Answers

I accidentally washed my new black sweater with a small light blue throw rug and the sweater came out covered in small light blue lint balls. The lint is clinging to the sweater and would take hours and hours to remove by hand. A lint roller did not work, nor did an electric fabric shaver. I tried washing a second time with only dark clothes and it looked a bit better but no significant improvements.

Any other suggestions? Do those lint remover balls you use in the dryer work well? Thanks so much!!

Kristen in Kentucky

There is a product you can buy called the "Sweater Stone." I bought one over 10 years ago for around $6 and it still works great! Anyway, it is black, the size of a bar of soap and has a pumice like surface. It works a zillion times better (and faster) than those electric de-fuzzers. It is the only thing that has ever worked for me in desperate situations. You can usually pick them up at outdoorsy stores like REI or Adventure 16. Good Luck!!

this may help as "future reference" :
turn sweaters inside-out & the fuzzies will be on the under side !

I had something similar happen to me. I had to use a single-edge razor blade, held at an angle so it wouldn't cut into the garment, and it worked great.