Refrigerator Doesn't Stay Cold

We have a spare refrigerator in our basement that is used regularly since our kitchen refrigerator is small. I am having problems with the one in the basement. I have both refrigerator and freezer controls turned to the coldest settings. The freezer is fine but the refrigerator is under the recommended temperature for a refrigerator.

I am only using it for a short time for fresh veggies, fruit, and some beverages. My husband is quite handy at fixing, but can't diagnose the problem. Honestly, I think he just wants to get rid of the refrigerator. I want it keep it because I know we really do need it. He is not the one trying to figure out how to keep our foods cold every day so it doesn't really matter to him. I think if we did get rid of it then he would understand.

Could someone suggest a web site to use or have an answer to what may be wrong with the refrigerator? My sister thinks she has the solution. This has something to do with the electrical connection. She seems to think that there is too much electrical usage on the one line and the refrigerator needs more "juice" to run properly. We rent the house so we really don't have much control with this.

On the one electrical line we have our washer, an upright freezer, and some lights and other things along with this refrigerator. I don't quite know if this could be true. I forgot to mention that during the winter months, the refrigerator runs cold but I still have it set on the coldest setting. So basically when the outside temperature is cold, I can use the refrigerator safely. Our basement is more of a cellar and doesn't have any heat other than the heater when it runs.

By Mkymlp from USA

Answers:

Refrigerator Doesn't Stay Cold

Electricity is not the problem, you only have one plug and unless it is very unusual, only one compressor so I would look to the temperature control. It is also possible that the air opening where the cold air comes out is somehow blocked.

If you have to keep both parts on the coldest setting, it is time to replace. What you save in energy will more than make up for the price of a used unit. Our local appliance stores sell good, used appliances for $50 or less rather than have to recycle them. My friend bought a like new washer for $10 and it works great. (04/25/2009)

By zoodad

Refrigerator Doesn't Stay Cold

Do you clean behind and under the fridge? Dust may have accumulated on the coils. How old is your fridge? It may be time to get a new one. (04/25/2009)

By OliveOyl

Refrigerator Doesn't Stay Cold

I would suggest checking to see if it needs freon or a similar type gas. Sometimes just being a little low can upset the way it will cool. (05/03/2009)

By lostinthe

Kenmore Refrigerator
Kenmore Refrigerator Not Cooling
Refrigerator
Refrigerator is Not Staying Cold
Saving Money on a Refrigerator, A new side by side refrigerator and freezer in stainless steel.
Saving Money on a Refrigerator
View of the water line.
Flushing a Refrigerator Water Line
Refrigerator Door
Testing a Refrigerator Seal
🎉
🎄