Kenmore Refrigerator and Freezer Not Cooling

Category Refrigerator
Refrigerator
When your fridge and freezer stop cooling it can quickly become an expensive fix. Not only is there the cost of repairs, but there may be food spoilage as well. This page looks at some causes and solutions for a Kenmore refrigerator and freezer not cooling.

I turned the power off for about 5 or 6 hours to get work done and when the power came on the fridge slowly stopped working. Tuesday the power was off for a few hours today everything in the freezer is thawed out. I have no clue what to do or if it's fixable. Please point me in the right directionor tell me what I can do to fix it myself?

Answer Was this helpful? 2
Best Answer

Two things:

When this happened to me, I was on the verge of buying a new one, but I pulled off the toe plate only to discover a half inch layer of dust and such. 'Pulled it off, vacuumed it and everything restarted -- this came with the house, so I had no clue either.

One other thing; If by some chance you cannot do anything much for it, then cook up all the thawed food and wrap and mark it for re-freezing. This will buy you about three days to salvage it if there is no immediate freezer space or availability, then store it in a refrigerator if you can - ask friends and family to store it for you as you work out how to deal with this situation.

I believe you can even rent freezer space locally - check the yellow pages, a butcher shop/meat market, or search on Google.

Also check if your insurance will cover any of this. It might. Once resolved, refreeze all your now pre-cooked meals - be sure to note what each one is and to date it.

If you can afford it, there are small freezers available at Walmart or online at Amazon for about $130.00 or so. Might be a good investment to augment other issues and such, might give you more options for some things such as taking advantage of sales, pre-holiday baking, etc.

I hope this offers you some help. Best wishes to you. Please let us know how you fare.

Why is my Kenmore refrigerator not cold on both the freezer side and the refrigerator side?

Answer Was this helpful? 2

Answers

Refrigerator not cooling on both sides. Fan is running on coil side and heater rod partially on at bottom.

I have a Kenmore refrigerator freezer side by side the fan inside of the refrigerator is running but the fan in the back is not the compressor is not running out so what can be the problem ?

Why isn't my refrigerator and freezer not cooling

My refrigerator run a lil while and then clicks off any suggestions what it might be

My cool system is not working

I have a Kenmore bottom freezer. The refrigerator portion is not getting cold but the freezer is working fine. What could be the problem?

Not hetting cold

A door was not shut all night,next morning frdg. Was very low temp.i have tried every thing .got freezer to working but fridge. Won't cool.

Show me how to reset my refrigerator brand is Kenmore elite that it's not freezing or getting cold

My keen more elite 2004 is not cooling or freezing has be sitting for 3 weeks work great when turned off

Freezer not cooling

Anytime your fridge stops cooling or your freezer stops freezing.

#1 make sure you have power to unit.

#2 remove rear plate and front toe plate

#3 vacuum and wipe as much dust up as you can. The coils need to be free of dust. The freezer coil in front is back a bit so you need to get on the floor with your vacuum hose and get right in there to clean it well.

This worked for me. Fridge was not cooling and freezer was way too cold. Good luck!

I just moved from Georgia to Tennessee. Now my refrigerator will not cool, either side. The model number is #35350221000, 2000 year.

By Frankie

Best Answer

If the fridge was transported correctly (upright, not on its side), more than likely your nearly 15yo fridge is telling you it's time for a new fridge.

You can have it repaired but the part will fail again (most likely the compressor but could also be the temp regulator, those go too after about ten years) sooner rather than later.

Wish I could tell you something different but I've been there-done that and after wasting $300 (over 3 months) trying to keep the old wheezer going I finally had to give it up and buy a new fridge.

My Kenmore refrigerator stopped cooling and freezing. It makes a high pitched "click" noise when turning on and off.

By Leo from Van Nuys, CA

Best Answer

I would contact Sears with this problem. 5 Years is not that old. What is the freezer part set at? Is it possible it got turned in the wrong direction?

My Kenmore 21.9 cubic ft. side-by-side refrigerator model #106.53332300 stop working. I can see that all lights are working, but it is not cooling and not freezing. If I unplug and plug back again, it will work for a few days, but then stop again. We already changed the start relay. What else could it be?

Thanks in advance!

Answers

Have you checked the back of your unit and cleaned the dust off the coils. Check to see if there is dust on the motor unit. If this doesn't help and you have already changed the start relay you will need to call Sears. Make an appointment with the repair man to check your motor on your freezer.

I had a similar problem and it was the compressor. You will probably need a repairman.

Since a refrigerator is a primary appliance, I would call Sears Service and ask what you can check before you have to have a service call.

I have always found that Sears (in my area) tries to help before telling you to make an appointment for service. Here is a link for contact but you can Google Sears Service Center with your zip and probably locate a center in your area.

https://www.kenmore.com/contact-us

My Kenmore refrigerator and freezer is not getting cold; just blowing air. I cleaned and vacuumed the back panel, removed all the dust, as much as I can, including the fan, coils, and all the stuff in the back panel. I also cleaned the inside too. I made sure I'd leveled it front, back, and side.The fan is working, the damper is working, it's just blowing air. I need help to fix it. Thank you.

By August B.

I am not sure about getting frigs repaired. There is likely something wrong with the coolant. I don't think this is a home handyperson sort of a fix. Call a repairperson or buy a new one (I bought a new one).

I have a Kenmore refrigerator, model #2220695. Neither the fridge nor the freezer cool and it is a clicking on and off.

By cm

I have a Kenmore top freezer refrigerator, model #25371822102. It all started a couple of weeks ago when the ice maker no longer cycled out the ice. The ice was in the tray, but it wasn't being ejected.

A few days ago I noticed the freezer was gradually becoming warmer, everything inside started thawing and now the compartment is barely colder than room temperature. Also at this point the refrigerator compartment is even warmer than the freezer.

I opened the back and cleaned out a fairly small amount of dust and noticed that the compressor was pretty hot. Night before last, I opened the back panel inside the freezer and noticed the pipe up to and around the thermostat were encased completely in ice. The rest of the evaporator was the same temp as the freezer compartment with definitely no frost. I thawed the ice, wiped up the mess and put everything back together.

Now we're still in the same spot: no freezing, very little cooling, and the ice is forming on the thermostat again (but not the rest of the evaporator). The fan is running and I can hear the buzzing, familiar to the normal operation (but admittedly it does sound faint). What could be causing this?

By Aaron

I need your advice fast. I have a Kenmore side-by-side refrigerator-freezer in my kitchen; it's maybe five years old. The top part of the freezer is cold, but does not freeze. The bottom part of the freezer freezes. The refrigerator is not very cold at all, so I've started storing milk, etc. in the top part of the freezer. Anyone know how to fix all this? I can't afford to buy a new fridge. Thanks so much for the advice.

By AnnahFM from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Answers:

Refrigerator Not Cold and Freezer not Freezing

My suspicion is that the coils are clogged up with household-dust debris. Unplug the ref/freezer and slide the unit out from the wall. Remove the back impregnated covering of the compressor, fan, etc. (generally about 4-8 screws), and vacuum as much of the debris as you can. Now take an air compressor and blow the remaining bits out into the floor area. Yes, there will be a mess to vacuum up later, but your refrigerator/freezer should return to normal cooling capacities. If you live in an area that is subject to unusual dust accumulation, or you like to have the windows open all the time this should be done at least every 2-3 years. (10/24/2009)

By Cajun62234

Refrigerator Not Cold and Freezer Not Freezing

Something happened like this to us when we rented a condo during the summer. The refrigerator was not cold and the freezer seemed to work. We called the owners of the condo and they sent a repair man out. It needed a new thermostat. The refrigerator was also a Sears Kenmore and not that old. It's worth fixing rather than buying a new one. (10/26/2009)

By SueBee

Perhaps it just needs some coolant put into it. Call an appliance repair man to come look at it. Spending less then $50 sounds better to me then food poisoning from food that isn't stored at the right temperature. (10/27/2009)

By Paula Jo

Had the same problem with my half and half fridge/freezer. Apparently the repair guy said that all I needed was to clean all the dust and gunk from behind the fridge/freezer and he topped the compressor up with more gas, or whatever it is they put in the compressor, and now its working like a dream. The cost was negligible, too. I would call in a reputable repair guy and ask for an estimate. (11/02/2009)

By cett