Refrigerator Is Freezing Food

Category Refrigerator
Sometimes you may find that your refrigerator has begun to freeze the food inside. This page contains troubleshooting tips if your refrigerator is freezing food.

The food freezes when touching the sides of my fridge?

Answers

Best Answer

Check and make sure the temperature is set where it should be. Then, check and make sure that the vents are not covered--the inside vents, where the cool air circulates. Lastly, clean the coils--use the vacuum to get all the dust off of them.

Best Answer

Check your refrigerator temperature reading. If temperature is fine, you may have to check your freezer temperatures too.
Ensure your food is not near the refrigerator vents.
Sometimes if your refrigerator is empty, it can freeze your food too - you may need more food/items in the fridge to eventually circulate.

Best Answer

The vents between the fridge and freezer are a lot of times in the sides. If your refrigerator temp is set at too low(cold) of a temperature, it can let in too much cold from the freezer.

Or if the vents are blocked and don't have the proper flow they will do the same. So... Check your temperature. Clean as necessary.

Why is my refrigerator freezing everything?

Answers

Could be too much 'stuff' in the fridge or the freezer. I had this happen with my bottom drawer freezer. I removed a lot of 'stuff' and cleaned - never had another problem! Good Luck!

The most likely reason is that you have the temperature control turned up too high. There is a dial in most fridges with numbers from 1 to 9, or similar. Mine is a dial in the front with dots going from cold to colder. Check this out and see where yours is set. Usually about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way around the dial is good.

If this is not the problem, you could try calling a troubleshooting number. I see that my fridge has a sticker on the inside that gives a 1-800 to phone when there are problems. I would do that before I called in a repairperson. You might also consult your owner's manual, if you haven't misplaced it!! LOL

How can I adjust the temperature setting on my Kenmore side by side refrigerator freezer Model 106.51132 210? The eggs in the fridge are freezing. I can feel air coming out of the vents.

Answers

Best Answer

You will need to press the 'Freezer Temp' or 'Refrigerator Temp' pads to change the settings. This will cause the program in the refrigerator to cycle through those settings. With each press of the pad the setting number will lower and will recycle on to the highest number available.

They have a small video on YouTube you can watch if you can't make this work. www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFzTGKVo79g

This is another of my 'It's really not that important, but it would be interesting to know' questions.

I like to keep my refrigerator set as low as possible without anything freezing. While adjusting the temperature for that setting, my eggs always freeze. I don't understand.

I keep my eggs in the carton. They are on a shelf usually right beside the milk. Why will my eggs freeze at a temperature not low enough for other things to freeze?

Now, I keep my eggs in a vegetable bin at the bottom of the fridge. Not as convenient, but they don't freeze.

The refrigerator portion of my side by side GE Profile is freezing. The temp is on 27, it will not stay on 37 when I reset it.

It keeps going back to 23. What gives? It is freezing all the food in the fridge portion. The freezer section is fine.

My LG fridge model # LRTN22320Bk is suddenly freezing my food in the fridge part. It was turned up only to 5 when this occurred. How can I fix this problem and how can I prevent this from happening again?

The food in the fridge is starting to freeze even though it's not in the freezer, what can I do?

By Mary from Toronto

Answers

There may be many reasons why your fridge is not working correctly. The problem may be easily fixed or may be a costly solution. The best plan is to request an evaluation from a fridge repair company.

The service person will examine the fridge and then recommend possible solutions. You can then decide whether it is better to fix the fridge (if possible) or replace.

I have that problem when I pack too much in my freezer, and don't have much in the refrigerator. Usually redistributing what is in the freezer (and throwing some out or eating it) fixes it. I think it has to do with how the air circulates. Also my bottom refrigerator shelf is the coldest. If I put lettuce there it always freezes. It does fine on the top shelf.

Check your freezer. There are some vents in the back usually on the top shelf. If they are covered then it will cause the fridge part to freeze.

Have you checked the controls in the refrigerator to make sure you have not accidentally turned it up so that it is colder? Before you call a repairperson, I would advise doing the simple things that others have suggested. See if the freezer is overloaded, check the vents to see if they are dusty and clogged, and check the dial that controls the temp.

My refrigerator is freezing everything, is there a way we can fix it ourselves?

By Denise from Fresno, CA

Answers

I don't know if this will help but try these steps. Unplug fridge and pull it away from wall. Empty it. Take out drawers. Start with the back and clear away all dust, especially crusty dust. Look for any little holes that might be air holes. Carefully probe with a crochet hook for dust clog. Check with flash lights if you can. Try to clean any obvious vents/air holes. Look in freezer. Clean it scrupulously, look for vent holes that might be clogged with ice. Let defrost. Look inside fridge for holes at back of drawers, along back walls, or little sliding hole covers. Make sure there's no gunk in holes. Use Qtips to clean out. Read instructions along wall of fridge for proper settings. Check dials and see if you can pull them off, and clean away any grime or sticky food residue..check seals on doors, and clean with qtips or cloth wrapped around chopstick.
Is the door really closing? If not, is it the seals, are they sticky? Are the shelves and drawers misaligned and keeping door from closing?
Take off front of fridge cover, down at the bottom. Look for drip tray. Wash, and inspect underneath with flashlight for clogged tubes, pipes, etc.

I think sometimes just a little tinkering helps. Or, maybe not, but you will have done all you can yourselves. Also google, repair your own refridgerator, and causes of refridgerator freezing. Air flow is very important, and those little vents and vent covers get clogged/closed/open easily.

I am not super vigilant about it, but in my old age, I have learned it pays to try to know your appliances and treat them with love and respect. They need maintenance, but most people completely ignore maintenance and throw away stuff at first problem.

Check your temperature control before trouble shooting for problems because it's most likely just set too high. It depends on each refrigerator, but I keep my current one set at "5 and if I set it at "6" then the food on the top rack freezes. I've had others that needed to be set at "4" or "6" so you'll need to experiment.

If these other posts don't help, then check out repairclinic.com as they have many solutions for repairing appliances yourself. I'm heading there now for my washing machine. Good Luck.

I don't know if this might help solve your problem or not but my fridge freezes things when the air flow vents become blocked with stored items. The air from the freezer circulates through the vents to cool your refrigerator. If I store an item in front of the vent it prevents the free flow of the cooled air thus freezing items in the refrigerator. Mine has the vents right at shelf height (poor design!!) so blocking them is easy to do without realizing it. I went to WalMart's kitchen storage area and bought a 3-pack of the white long narrow kitchen drawer organizers that have the holes in the sides, maybe a dollar or so for the 3-pack. I took one and turned it upside down in front of each of the vents to prevent a stored item from blocking the flow. Seems to help :) Good Luck!

My fridge is freezing up, only in one side of the fridge. Could it be costing me more money on electric?

By Miss D Beaumont

If the lowest part of the refrigerator temp. is 41 degrees how can it freeze food?

By Charlie c

Answers

What is your question? Are you asking why food freezes in your frig when the temp says it is only 41? Or are you asking how it can freeze in the freezer section when the main part is only 41? It is impossible to answer your question at the moment. Please clarify.

After looking at the title, I think your question is that food is freezing, but the temp says only 41. Two things come to mind. One, that the thermometer is not working properly. Second, that there are sections of the frig that are colder than where the thermometer is. I have found that food jammed up near the top, where the freezer is located on older frigs, is often colder than near the bottom. Most are like that. If things are freezing all over, like your milk, for example, turn the thermostat up a slight bit. You can have them set too cold.

My fridge won't stop running and it's freezing food.

By Jen

Answers

That doesn't sound good! Before you call the repair guy, google your fridge's brand name and see if they have an online troubleshooting forum.

What can I do with fruit, etc. frozen in my fridge?

By Elizabeth H

I have a side by side Amana. There are two drawers on the bottom and if I put food in there it freezes. The rest of the refrigerator is fine temperature wise.

By AKK from Boston, MA

It is no longer under warranty, 4yrs, and the business that sold it, is no longer. I live in a small town. I ordered the part and changed the damper. It was tricky, but not rocket science. Everything is back on, but it has gone back to the teens again. I am beyond frustrated at this point. I had taken all the steps prior to part ordering, in order to fix. Nothing. Now what?

By Joanne

My side by side Amana freezes food on the bottom shelf only. Not in the drawers under it or the shelves above.

By L.M.

My refrigerator is freezing my food.

By styron barfield from NC

Answers:

Refrigerator Is Freezing Food

Personally, I would check your temperature control before trouble shooting for problems because it's most likely just set too high. It depends on each refrigerator, but I keep my current one set at "5 and if I set it at "6" then the food on the top rack freezes. I've had others that needed to be set at "4" or "6" so you'll need to experiment.

(11/06/2009)

By Deeli

Load More

Home and Garden Repair Appliances RefrigeratorAugust 15, 2012
🐛
😷
🌻
📓
😎
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf369244.tip.html