Refrigerator Is Freezing Food

Category Refrigerator
Sometimes you may find that your refrigerator has begun to freeze the food inside. This guide contains troubleshooting tips if your refrigerator is freezing food.

Why is my refrigerator freezing everything?

Answers

Could be many possibilities but impossible to provide an answer to your question with no information. A refrigeration service can provide an answer.

Could be too much 'stuff' in the fridge or the freezer. I had this happen with my bottom drawer freezer. I removed a lot of 'stuff' and cleaned - never had another problem! Good Luck!

The most likely reason is that you have the temperature control turned up too high. There is a dial in most fridges with numbers from 1 to 9, or similar. Mine is a dial in the front with dots going from cold to colder. Check this out and see where yours is set. Usually about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way around the dial is good. If this is not the problem, you could try calling a troubleshooting number. I see that my fridge has a sticker on the inside that gives a 1-800 to phone when there are problems. I would do that before I called in a repairperson. You might also consult your owner's manual, if you haven't misplaced it!! LOL

Anonymous

Make sure there is space around the outside of the refrigerator so it can "breathe". Vacuum the back coil area annually. We almost replaced the French door stainless steel unit we have because it had started freezing veggies in the crisper. The were items - platters and such on top and a ceiling tile stashed on the side. We pulled it out from the wall. After several hours found the green peppers in the crisper began to defrost. Hallelujah!
Air has to be able to pass - 3" or it will cause freezing. Saved me $2000!!

I have a GE reridgerator is frezzing everything inside

Everything freezing put it on 45f

Anonymous

My food is freezing in the referegerator

my temp in the refrigerator is on 27. when i put it back up to 37 it goes back to 27. what gives?

The refrigerator portion of my side by side GE Profile is freezing. The temp is on 27, it will not stay on 37 when I reset it. It keeps going back to 23. What gives? It is freezing all the food in the fridge portion. The freezer section is fine.

My LG fridge model # LRTN22320Bk is suddenly freezing my food in the fridge part. It was turned up only to 5 when this occurred. How can I fix this problem and how can I prevent this from happening again?

The food in the fridge is starting to freeze even though it's not in the freezer, what can I do?

By Mary from Toronto

Answers

There may be many reasons why your fridge is not working correctly. The problem may be easily fixed or may be a costly solution. The best plan is to request an evaluation from a fridge repair company. The service person will examine the fridge and then recommend possible solutions. You can then decide whether it is better to fix the fridge (if possible) or replace.

I have that problem when I pack too much in my freezer, and don't have much in the refrigerator. Usually redistributing what is in the freezer (and throwing some out or eating it) fixes it. I think it has to do with how the air circulates. Also my bottom refrigerator shelf is the coldest. If I put lettuce there it always freezes. It does fine on the top shelf.

Check your freezer. There are some vents in the back usually on the top shelf. If they are covered then it will cause the fridge part to freeze.

Have you checked the controls in the refrigerator to make sure you have not accidentally turned it up so that it is colder? Before you call a repairperson, I would advise doing the simple things that others have suggested. See if the freezer is overloaded, check the vents to see if they are dusty and clogged, and check the dial that controls the temp.

My fridge freezer was freezing food in the fridge compartment. My milk had turned into ice.

Thinking about the problem I noticed that the F/F wasn't turning off at all. It was continually on. I remembered that I had the same problem with my microwave and thought the same fix would work. It did.

Locate the circuit board/pcb with all the controls on. After you have unplugged your the appliance. On the PCB you will see various components. Some are capacitors (the round tube like ones) of various sizes. You are looking for the relatively large square or slightly oblong bits. You may well have only one on. You're looking for a relay. If you aren't sure that it is a relay, note the numbers on the top and google them until you've identified the correct one(s).

When you've located the relay get a teaspoon. Tap the relay on all 4 of the sides and on top. A few firm taps but less power than you would use on a boiled egg.

Put the F/F back together again and plug in. It may well solve your problem as it did with mine.

The relay is a switch and eventually the switch gets worn out by constant use (just like a light switch at home). It fuses on and that's why the machine is on continually. The teaspoon breaks the now permanent connection.

Order a new relay - an exact match for the one on the board - so that next time it goes (and it will) you can solder a new one back on.

If it does switch on and off then it's likely to be another problem, such as the thermistor sensor.

My refrigerator is freezing everything, is there a way we can fix it ourselves?

By Denise from Fresno, CA

Answers

I don't know if this will help but try these steps. Unplug fridge and pull it away from wall. Empty it. Take out drawers. Start with the back and clear away all dust, especially crusty dust. Look for any little holes that might be air holes. Carefully probe with a crochet hook for dust clog. Check with flash lights if you can. Try to clean any obvious vents/air holes. Look in freezer. Clean it scrupulously, look for vent holes that might be clogged with ice. Let defrost. Look inside fridge for holes at back of drawers, along back walls, or little sliding hole covers. Make sure there's no gunk in holes. Use Qtips to clean out. Read instructions along wall of fridge for proper settings. Check dials and see if you can pull them off, and clean away any grime or sticky food residue..check seals on doors, and clean with qtips or cloth wrapped around chopstick.
Is the door really closing? If not, is it the seals, are they sticky? Are the shelves and drawers misaligned and keeping door from closing?
Take off front of fridge cover, down at the bottom. Look for drip tray. Wash, and inspect underneath with flashlight for clogged tubes, pipes, etc.

I think sometimes just a little tinkering helps. Or, maybe not, but you will have done all you can yourselves. Also google, repair your own refridgerator, and causes of refridgerator freezing. Air flow is very important, and those little vents and vent covers get clogged/closed/open easily.

I am not super vigilant about it, but in my old age, I have learned it pays to try to know your appliances and treat them with love and respect. They need maintenance, but most people completely ignore maintenance and throw away stuff at first problem.

Anonymous

Check your temperature control before trouble shooting for problems because it's most likely just set too high. It depends on each refrigerator, but I keep my current one set at "5 and if I set it at "6" then the food on the top rack freezes. I've had others that needed to be set at "4" or "6" so you'll need to experiment.

If these other posts don't help, then check out repairclinic.com as they have many solutions for repairing appliances yourself. I'm heading there now for my washing machine. Good Luck.

I don't know if this might help solve your problem or not but my fridge freezes things when the air flow vents become blocked with stored items. The air from the freezer circulates through the vents to cool your refrigerator. If I store an item in front of the vent it prevents the free flow of the cooled air thus freezing items in the refrigerator. Mine has the vents right at shelf height (poor design!!) so blocking them is easy to do without realizing it. I went to WalMart's kitchen storage area and bought a 3-pack of the white long narrow kitchen drawer organizers that have the holes in the sides, maybe a dollar or so for the 3-pack. I took one and turned it upside down in front of each of the vents to prevent a stored item from blocking the flow. Seems to help :) Good Luck!

If the lowest part of the refrigerator temp. is 41 degrees how can it freeze food?

By Charlie c

Answers

What is your question? Are you asking why food freezes in your frig when the temp says it is only 41? Or are you asking how it can freeze in the freezer section when the main part is only 41? It is impossible to answer your question at the moment. Please clarify.

After looking at the title, I think your question is that food is freezing, but the temp says only 41. Two things come to mind. One, that the thermometer is not working properly. Second, that there are sections of the frig that are colder than where the thermometer is. I have found that food jammed up near the top, where the freezer is located on older frigs, is often colder than near the bottom. Most are like that. If things are freezing all over, like your milk, for example, turn the thermostat up a slight bit. You can have them set too cold.

My fridge won't stop running and it's freezing food.

By Jen

Answers

That doesn't sound good! Before you call the repair guy, google your fridge's brand name and see if they have an online troubleshooting forum.

What can I do with fruit, etc. frozen in my fridge?

By Elizabeth H

My fridge is freezing up, only in one side of the fridge. Could it be costing me more money on electric?

By Miss D Beaumont

I have a side by side Amana. There are two drawers on the bottom and if I put food in there it freezes. The rest of the refrigerator is fine temperature wise.

By AKK from Boston, MA

It is no longer under warranty, 4yrs, and the business that sold it, is no longer. I live in a small town. I ordered the part and changed the damper. It was tricky, but not rocket science. Everything is back on, but it has gone back to the teens again. I am beyond frustrated at this point. I had taken all the steps prior to part ordering, in order to fix. Nothing. Now what?

By Joanne

My side by side Amana freezes food on the bottom shelf only. Not in the drawers under it or the shelves above.

By L.M.

My refrigerator is freezing my food.

By Styron from NC

Answers:

Refrigerator Is Freezing Food

Personally, I would check your temperature control before trouble shooting for problems because it's most likely just set too high. It depends on each refrigerator, but I keep my current one set at "5 and if I set it at "6" then the food on the top rack freezes. I've had others that needed to be set at "4" or "6" so you'll need to experiment.

(11/06/2009)

By Deeli

We have a second fridge downstairs. It freezes everything I put in there unless it is a very hot, hot day. We have had it checked to see if it needed repairs and it does not. Is there anything I can do to prevent this? It certainly defeats the purpose of having an extra fridge when I have to throw out frozen items.

Thank You.
Sharon

Answers:

Refrigerator Is Freezing Food

If this fridge is the newer, non-freon type, then what you have is poor design. I have the same situation in the back on the top and bottom shelves of my Kitchenaid, purchased because ours broke when the freon fridges had just been banned.

If still under warranty, complain loudly to the store manager, the manufacturer, until it is replaced (could be something simple). A friend of mine bought a Kenmore fridge with every problem you could think of and Sears replaced it for free after 3 repair calls.

Otherwise, make the best of a bad purchase and be sure to separate the food so that there is plenty of air flow from the vents and turn the dial to a warmer setting. (08/30/2005)

By Holly

Refrigerator Is Freezing Food

Is the fridge in a garage? If it is not in an air conditioned area, it might be compensating for the hot air by over-cooling the food. (08/31/2005)

By elpasolady

Refrigerator Is Freezing Food

If your fridge is freezing the food in the chilling compartment as well as the freezer, it means one thing--its thermostat isn't shutting down the compressor when the set temperature has been met. You stated that you had it checked by, I assume, a professional service technician. Being a retired tech myself, I'm surprised that he didn't check this out and discuss it with you.

Check the temperature in the freezer! If it is less than 10 degrees F., turn the thermostat to "warmer". If the temp in the freezer is 10 degrees F., leave it alone and go to the temp. control in the fridge, which is a damper that controls cold air flow from the freezer compartment. Close this damper until your temperature in the upper part of the refrigerator is 38 to 40 degrees F. If these efforts don't shut down the compressor and correct your problem, then the answer is simple. Your thermostat is bad and needs to be replaced. It isn't expensive, and should cost you less than the labor for a tech to install it. Good luck! (08/31/2005)

By Les

Refrigerator Is Freezing Food

I think the first response sounds like the best solution. I have one that does the same thing so I'm planning on checking the thermostat! (02/22/2007)

By Tom