Remedies for Back Acne

Doctor examining upper back of torso with acne
Acne is bad enough to deal with when it is on your face, but on your back it is exceeding worse. You can't reach or clearly see the outbreaks to treat them. This is a guide about remedies for back acne.

How can you clear back and chest acne? I have bad scarring and acne on my back and chest. My face is fine with very mild acne. I have tried multiple scrubs for my acne, along with acne pills (which were supposed to clear my back and chest acne, but didn't!) and also acne cream.

All of my friends go swimming in bathing suits together. They invite me, but I have to forfeit and come up with a lame excuse of why I cannot go. All of this acne junk has made my self-esteem go way down. Please help me.

By Aliya

Best Answer

Over-scrubbing with a harsh, sharp, granular exfoliator can actually make the problem worse. Try a gentle glycolic (8%) or salicylic acid cleanser or gel. It takes time though so just keep at it and use it twice a day. Also, some shampoos and conditioners can worsen acne or trigger outbreaks that resemble acne. Try a mild, sulfate-free or silicone-free shampoo/conditioner like Ever Pure from L'Oreal.

Best Answer

You have lots of different advice for the acne, but I would suggest that you wear a light t-shirt over your suit when you go swimming. Lots of people do this for a variety of reasons, and if anyone comments, you could say you do it for protection against the sun, that you burn easily and are sensitive to sunscreen, or that you get a rash from the sun. There is no need to miss out on swimming because of acne.

I've had bad acne on my face for over 3 years. Then a couple of months ago I got acne on my back and chest. I'm going to a waterpark with my family and I don't want to wear a bikini. So I'm gonna wear rash guard. I just recently started using Acne Free Severe, I've heard it's just like Proactive which is the thing that started the acne on my back and chest. Does anyone know anything that can get rid of it overnight or in a couple of days?

By Alexis

Best Answer

There is nothing that gets rid of acne overnight or in a few days. If you have had it for years, and it is getting worse, you should go to a doctor. There are many prescription products that work very well. Home remedies do not work; if they did, no one would have bothered inventing a prescription or over the counter product. If you can not afford to go to a doctor (in Canada, this would not be an issue), go to your local pharmacist and ask for advice. They can be most helpful and will guide you to the products that are available over the counter. Some of these, used as directed and faithfully, will work if your acne is not too severe.

I have horrible acne on my back. It's so annoying during the summer, but I've tried everything I can think of. Any suggestions? Thank you.

By Hope123

Answers:

Remedies for Acne on My Back

I would buy those Stridex type pads that have salicylic acid as their main ingredient and have your partner wipe your back down with them 3 times a day. If these are too drying, you could replace them with an astringent (sold at a drug or grocery store) and round cotton pads. Your goal is to get rid of bacteria (which causes acne). Swimming in a chlorinated pool will also help. Some people get relief from a bit of sunshine, but with some it only exacerbates the problem. (The sun always helped me.) Be sure to wash the area or wipe the area down with astringent pads after your short stay in the sun and never lay in the sun with any meds on your back because they may react with the sun.

Another very helpful thing is GSE (Grapefruit Seed Extract). You buy it at a health food store. It's a natural antibacterial which kills germs. Be sure to first dilute it in water! (or you could burn your skin). You'll only need about a dozen drops in 6 - 8 ounces of water because it's so concentrated. It costs around $12 for a small bottle of the GSE liquid. Don't buy the powder, or take any oral capsules. Buy only the Liquid GSE. Apply it (mixed with water) with the round 100% cotton make-up removal pads (from the dollar store or any drug store). Do this in place of the Stridex pads 3 times a day.

It also helps to mostly wear white 100% cotton T-shirts and bleach them every time you wash them. The bleach gets rid of any bacteria.

As far as soap goes. I'd recommend using a quality dandruff shampoo (like Head and Shoulders-Gentle) to wash only your back with because dandruff is caused by a scalp fungus. Dandruff shampoos kill this fungus and may help your back (many people get back or body fungus in the summer). GSE can also be added to your regular liquid soap to wash your back with. Adding GSE will turn your soap into a natural antibacterial soap. Do NOT use a store-brand knockoff dandruff shampoo (like a Safeway brand) because these made differently and are way too harsh and very drying.

Try not to take any oral acne medication (from the dermatologist) because taking daily meds can cause a whole range of other problems. Taking daily tetracycline and erythromycin (for acne) caused my partner to have many other health problems including colitis. (06/02/2009)

By Cyinda

Remedies for Acne on My Back

When you're in the shower the warm/hot water opens your pores. In order to avoid those pores from getting clogged with oil, lean forward in the shower when you wet, wash, and rinse your hair. That helped a lot. I also use peroxide on my back; it dries up the spots. Drink plenty of water and shower regularly and wear your hair up off your neck and back. Good luck.
(06/02/2009)

By faithnotfear

Remedies for Acne on My Back

Try putting milk of magnesia on the acne after a shower/bath when your skin is clean and dry. Rub MoM on, let dry and get dressed. I read about this in the "People's Pharmacy" column in my local newspaper today. There is also a website, peoplespharmacy.co where you can look this up under home remedies. (06/03/2009)

By Omanana

Remedies for Acne on My Back

Acne is one of the manifestations of candida, lovely stuff, candida. I've had adult acne for over 40 years and I have recently found that white vinegar, rubbed in well and left to dry and do it often. I keep a small squeeze bottle with the vinegar in it around in places, so I remember. The candida can't handle the lower Ph and it leaves a slight residue, which keeps killing it. Most important time to use it, though, is 1st thing in the morning, after showers and before going to sleep, but for it to really get at it, do it about 5-6x a day. (06/03/2009)

By c t

Remedies for Acne on My Back

I had this problem for years. Turned out I was allergic to milk and milk products.
Now I get my calcium other ways and my skin is so much clearer. I also break out in small painful white pimples when I eat eggs so I avoid them. Weird, but true. (06/04/2009)

By Coolcook

Remedies for Acne on My Back

My husband had really bad red bumps on his back like acne and I bought him the Neutrogena bar soap (not the pump kind) and it made a huge difference. I mean I could tell a difference in a week. You should try that. (06/04/2009)

By jesikarena

Does anyone know of a good treatment for acne on your back? I get painful pimples on my back more often than I get them on my face nowadays! Just wondering if there's any soap/body wash out there someone has tried and it worked. Or any home remedies?

Thanks!
Amber from Westminster, CO

Answers:

Remedies for Acne on My Back

I read recently that increasing fiber intake can help clear up acne. It might be worth a try. Make sure you're drinking plenty of water, too. For immediate relief, I'm not sure. You could try boiling some onion skins in water, then patting the (cooled!) water on your back. I've never tried it for acne, but works great for other rashes. I'd try it on a small area first and see if it helps. Good luck! (01/12/2007)

By Alice

Remedies for Acne on My Back

If you are really serious about tackling it, Accutane works well for acne on your torso. (01/12/2007)

By Katie A.

Remedies for Acne on My Back

Try Vitamin A and Zinc, they will clear up your acne and will make it a thing of the past. Be patient at first.
(01/12/2007)

By PICO

Remedies for Acne on My Back

I have the same problem and what I do is wash the affected area with a benzoyl peroxide soap then apply aloe vera gel twice a day. (01/13/2007)

Remedies for Acne on My Back

You might think about changing soaps, detergent, etc. As a child, I had bad acne on my back because my mom changed detergents frequently. I was allergic to many of the detergents and soaps that she changed to.
I still have to choose the soaps, shampoos and detergents very carefully. (01/13/2007)

By Ange8th

Remedies for Acne on My Back

Tested and guaranteed; You can get rid of acne on back/face or any part of the body by mixing 2 tsp of baking soda to 2-3 glasses of cold tap water; after cleansing, use it as a final rinse on affected area. Do not use towel for drying. Let it dry off naturally. Use 2-3 weeks or till acne completely disappears. If you get acne on body, try changing your laundry detergent. (01/14/2007)

By Nasira

Remedies for Acne on My Back

I just saw a segment on the Today show where they said that drinking milk can cause acne. I gave up milk and my skin is much better, I just have to be sure to get my calcium elsewhere. It is worth a try. I have also used Proactiv in the past with great success. They have a body cleanser in addition to the face products. (01/16/2007)

By Sharon

Remedies for Acne on My Back

Cures can be temporary unless the original reason for the Acne is addressed. As a Cosmetologist I recommend:

Begin first improving your diet. Increase Fresh Veggies, moderate fruits/low sugar, eliminating fried and fast foods/chips/nuts/rich cookies/chocolate/cheese/gravies/ and dips.

Take a good multi-vitamin/mineral, Calcium/D, Vit. E, Zinc, daily (with lots of water throughout the day.)
Exercise at least 15 min. day, get 10 min. sun daily. Get plenty of sleep. Bathe three- five times week. Change towels often, using paper towels to pat dry if Acne is draining or sore. Know that Acne content likely gets onto linens, pillow, face cloths, and fingers, so make certain hands are washed in antibacterial liquid soap first before touching face or back.

Shampoo hair in the sink, not shower, with PH balanced shampoo, using warm, not hot water, because Acne contents can be both contagious and caused by dust mites, both of which can wash onto the back. If hot water is used in a shower, it washes away the normal protectant body oils leaving the skin exposed to contagion and any dust mites that may be washed out and fall down onto the back/face.

If Acne is draining try using only a fresh paper towel gently each time you gently wash your face. Do not wash often, nor scrub, nor use HOT water.

If healing, not raw open sores, use white face cloths each time you clean the face, bleaching the cloths in the washer when cleaning linens separately from other clothes to avoid spreading. Do NOT pop the pimples if at all avoidable. If you do, remember that it is highly contagious with bacteria, fungus or virus that will make more pimples, especially on freshly washed skin.

A good treatment of each cleaned, blow dried pimple is to dab each one with a clean q-tip, dipped in Hydrogen Peroxide, turning the q-tip to a new place on the cotton each time it touches the pimple. Air dry. Also, crush an aspirin between two spoons, mixing the powder with neosporin, applying to dry pimple with fresh q-tip, turning to new place on the cotton and not touching the Neosporin tip with the contaminated q-tip, but rather mixing the two on a new baggie or piece of foil. Cover whole Acne area with paper towel layer until mixture is absorbed by the skin, about 1 hour.

Change bed pillowcase often, covering during the day to keep it clean for your use. Lay on paper towels if pimples are draining or sore. Clean dust mites as often and from all surfaces with pledge or Endust, or alcohol and paper towel so as not to recycle them in the washing machine to other clothing. Alcohol spray will kill dust mites on upholstery for several days to a week. Try not to ever sit on any surface unless fully clothed to protect all skin.

Keep bed made up with clean linens, and protect from dust mites by covering with bedspread. Use only gentle liquid soaps with only warm water, never hot water, even in a shower. Never touch the skin surface with anything dirty or dirty hands.

Remember that pet hair has high amounts of dirt and dust mites on it, even if just groomed. Wash hands after petting, and never allow a pet to get on your skin, especially after cleaning.

Hope this works and that you choose to take on these new habits to get and stay healed. Good luck and God bless and heal you. : ) (01/27/2007)

By Lynda

Remedies for Acne on My Back

I have the same problem. My dermatologist told me to use a ketoconazole, which is common in a dandruff shampoo. You have to apply this in an affected area, use it like a soap before you go to bed and do this for like two weeks. It's effective, you can take my word for it. (03/06/2007)

By lilbitchique

Remedies for Acne on My Back

I'd try Benzoyl Peroxide. It doesn't cost very much, and I'm sure it would work wonders for your back. But if you use it on your face, you have to be careful to dot it only on your pimples and do not use it on your whole face because it tends to really dry out your skin. Benzoyl Peroxide works by killing the germs that cause pimples. Rub it in well, or it could "bleach" out your clothes (it is peroxide, after all).

Give it a try on your back, along with a good diet & great vitamins plus Zinc. I've seen Benzoyl Peroxide work wonders clearing acne away from a friend's back, it cleared his acne up in less than a week.

PS. I had a fungus infection for 2 years that even the doctors couldn't cure with meds, I tried 4 different prescriptions. I don't know why, but I decided to try Benzoyl Peroxide on it and low & behold! The B.P. cured it in a few days! I think by actually drying out the fungus, or maybe by killing it? Who knows, I just know it worked & I'm grateful. (03/06/2007)

By Cyinda

Remedies for Acne on My Back

Regarding the Benzoyl Peroxide that Cyinda recommends; I used to wear an old white t-shirt to bed to avoid bleaching my good pajamas. Like Cyinda says, rub it in good, otherwise it will soak through the shirt onto your sheets!

Also, eliminating fast foods and reducing milk helped me. However, the acne on my face was significant so I went on Accutane. Result: Acne cured. That stuff is wonderful (if you can accept the side effects that is). (03/06/2007)

By Jean

Remedies for Acne on My Back

Try showering more often and actually washing your torso. I work full time in a dusty hot place and attend school full time. I sometimes find myself 'jumping in to rinse off the dirt' instead of taking the time to truly soap up.

Once I figured out this is what I was doing, I started taking the time to shower twice or even three times a day and made sure I was getting out of work clothes as soon as I got home. It has made a huge difference. (02/23/2008)

By Comish

Remedies for Acne on My Back

I remember when I was a kid my dad used to have acne on his back. He used to apply selsun shampoo (anti-dandruff shampoo) on his back and let it be there for an hour or two, and after a few weeks, his back was clear. (03/29/2008)

By guddi