Remedies for Canker Sores

Canker sores in your mouth can be quite painful, but can be easily treated with household remedies. This is a guide about remedies for canker sores.

November 27, 2016 Flag

My wife has dentures. She's had them for quite some time. Recently she has gotten a sore the size of a Tic Tac on her bottom gum, between her lip and gum. She says it's very painful. What could that be? We are waiting for dentist appointment.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Dentures wear differently and gums shrink. It is not uncommon to have little sores from time to time. You must go to your denturist and have the dentures refitted.

It also might be a small abscess. If you go to www.webmd.com and put in dental sores or gum sores you can find what you need. I have had them and they make eating very hard. Good luck.

October 28, 2010 Flag

The best way to clear up a canker sore is truly putting baking soda directly on it. I went to the doctor with a mouthful of canker sores and they didn't have a clue. The sores were so bad I couldn't even eat or talk. I decided to burn those suckers off with baking soda and within two days they were gone! Love my baking soda. It does sting, but if you keep applying until it doesn't sting anymore, it will feel better.

By sweetshellzz from MI

Hi, the sign of canker sores in the mouth is candidas overgrowth, and an acidic diet. Baking soda changes your body ph, getting rid of acidity. Stop eating processed food, white flour, sugar and crackers. Drink lemon in water every morning. The sign of something is wrong (canker sores) will heal, your body too!

Sources of cankers can also be the whoops bite you took and nicked the inside of your mouth. A lesion. I had plenty when first getting braces. Many reasons for cankers.

Our mothers/grandmothers/great grandmothers applied alum. In the cupboard all the time. Use this when making dill pickles. Every household growing up had this mineral to apply. It is still in my cupboard as a first aid fix for any mouth issue. You stand over the sink, apply a pinch to the area, salivating as if you had the most bitter dill pickle. When you can't stand it any longer, rinse with warm water. Do this a couple times a day and most likely your need is gone by day 2.

Contraindication: Any mouth sore that lasts more than a couple days, see your dentist or doctor. Many mouth cancers begin quickly as sores that don't go away. That is why during an exam by either DDS or MD, they look in your mouth and under your tongue, as the questions. Ever tried to live without your tongue? Part of your mouth/jaw? It is not a pleasant view to look at nor something you want to endure yourself. We lost a friend who quickly died due to the mouth cancer. The sore was discovered shortly and seen for it. He was a tobacco chewer after he quit smoking. Thought is was safer. Not. Young children left without a father.

Another thing you might want to try is a peroxide wash. The directions should be on the side of the bottle. This is one thing all Doctors know about. Good Luck Dar.

I have found that if you dip a Q-Tip in Pepto-Bismol and place it on the cacker sore it will feel cool, and will heal the sore quickly. It does not hurt if you swallow some of the Pepto-Bismol because it is made for an upset stomach.

November 28, 2011 Flag

I have canker sores often and have used may different home remedies, over the counter medication without great success. A friend told me to rinse the area with lemon juice.

August 5, 2010 Flag

I have several little blisters on my top lip that are very tiny, as well as, what I think are ulcers or canker sores inside my cheek and bottom inside of my lip, like 4 or 5! I don't know what they are or what causes them.

I've had cold sores before and they usually disappear within a few days to a week, but this time it's been about a month on and off. I am really stressed. What do I do?

By Jose from Fresno, CA

Please, see a doctor or dentist first just to be sure it's harmless.

Marg from England.

Take L-Lysine for a week. They will disappear.

Check your toothpaste. Close-up 'gel' gives me and my daughter mouth ulcers, etc. We use 'paste' instead of 'gel'. Dissolve aspirin and put on the ulcers. It may burn but will help to clear them.

I too have a really bad sore in the inner part of my bottom lip, it's pretty big, hurts like hell no matter what I do (if I try to clean it, if I eat, or hell if I drink water!) I've had it a few days now. I thought it was just a Cold Sore, but this would be gone by now and not this bad. It's been bleeding every morning with green (so I figure infection) I've tried the stupid Salt Water trick but yeah, not working this time. And Mouth Wash doesn't seem to be healing it fast enough to keep up with it getting worse :( I can't go to a doctor or anything though, complicated >< So at that...What do I do?

Goodluck to you though, I hope yours at least heals :)

August 5, 2010 Flag

To cure a canker sore, dip a Q-Tip in Pepto Bismol. Place Q-Tip directly on sore. It is very cool and soothing and will heal the sore within a day or two. It is safe to swallow any excess Pepto or you can spit it out, but it's better to swallow it because chances are your stomach is or has been upset too and the Pepto will help it, too.

You can even use the Generic Pepto from Dollar General or Wal-mart. You may need to repeat this two to three times a day. Usually by the second day, it's not sore anymore.

Source: I am a retired nurse and one day I tried it because I have always used Pepto-Bismol for stomach upsets.

By Laplob from Illinois

Answers:

Canker Sore Remedies

As a dietitian, I am a firm believer in that most of our health problems stem from what we ingest. I have always suffered from (what I thought) was sporadic flare-ups of canker sores. I have heard numerous theories about what causes them and so I never really tried to connect the dots with food until recently. I figured since everything else was out of my control (like viruses, genetics, etc) then maybe, just maybe, I had been doing it to myself, so I decided to keep a food diary for 1 year. Also, every time a canker sore began to appear, I noted it in the food diary. It actually didn't take very long before I noticed strong correlations between my flare-ups and certain thing I had eaten within the past few days!

There were 2 specific things that, if eaten/ingested, almost always seemed to be followed by canker sores: alcohol and anything tomato related. So I decided to test this correlation by first removing alcohol entirely from my diet for 3 months. Nothing changed. I still had flare-ups at least once a month like I had always had.

Here is where things got interesting. I turned my focus toward tomatoes and anything with tomatoes in it. This was very difficult for me because I love tomatoes, and I put ketchup on many things. However, I dedicated myself to this big task and began another 3 month test. No tomato slices, no ketchup, no red pasta sauce, etc. The difference was noticeable almost immediately. After just a couple of days, I noticed that my gums felt "less sensitive" to the touch. I never even knew this was abnormal because they had always felt sensitive, but suddenly they felt better!?

I knew I was on to something at this point and I have continued this difficult elimination even beyond the 3 months. I have now gone 7 months without anything tomato-related in my diet and I have since had just 1 canker sore! Also, I got the sore when I caught a nasty head cold about a month ago.

I never would have considered something as healthy for you as a tomato as the source of what had made my life miserable since childhood. Whether it is the acidity or something else that my body just has trouble with, I'm not entirely sure. It could be a weird food allergy, but all I know is that I found the trigger for my life-long problem with canker sores and eliminating it from my diet has helped me tremendously.

I can't guarantee that it will be the same for you, but I encourage everyone who has issues with these pesky sores to look into removing all things tomato from your diet for a while and see if your flare-ups reduce. It was very difficult to totally eliminate tomato since it is in so many products, but if you watch your diet closely it gets easier. It has helped me tremendously so I hope it helps you too. (02/16/2010)

By jtgambit33

Canker Sore Remedies

I find drinking pineapple juice is good for all mouth sores. (03/17/2010)

By Lady Bee

February 2, 2010 Flag

My 5 year old gets canker sores occasionally and when he does, brushing his teeth is horrible. He usually doesn't say anything until teeth time. I've tried putting some remedies on it and it's horrible for him.

He doesn't get them enough for us to change diet, it's occasionally. I am looking for something that he can rinse with to help speed up the healing process and take away some of the pain. Thanks.

By Mindy

Answers:

Canker Sore Remedies

Bless his little heart! I feel his pain, so, I recommend ABREVA. It's expensive, but it really works and only takes a small squirt 5 times a day and the sore goes away faster than anything I've tried in the past, (soda, etc. - ouch - Burning!). You didn't say what age, so ask pharmacist. Hope this helps the little one! Maw-Maw (01/09/2010)

By ellingtonl@bellsouth.net

Canker Sore Remedies

Gargle with a solution of baking soda and water, tastes awful but helps neutralize the acid. And you might want to check the sugar that he is getting, believe it or not, a lot of sugar in a diet can cause canker sores. Believe me, it's from experience! (01/12/2010)

By michawnpita

Canker Sore Remedies

Poor little guy. Canker sores are so painful!

But maybe there's something you can do to prevent them. I found out after many years of suffering. My dentist wasn't any help. Just told me that a lot of people suffer from them.

So I did my own research and discovered a simple explanation! Many people are sensitive to one of the chemicals found in most toothpastes! That chemical is a detergent called "sodium lauryl sulfate," also called "SLS." It's the ingredient that makes toothpaste (and soap and shampoo)"foamy."

It's extremely drying to mouths that are sensitive to it, and causes mouth ulcers and canker sores to form. Unfortunately most toothpastes include SLS in their formulas, even the "natural" brands. Just check the labels - it's almost always in there.

But during my research I found that there are a few toothpaste that have deliberately omitted SLS because of the canker sore issue. I tried a couple of them. The one I liked best was "SQUIGLE Enamel Saver." The downsides are that you have to order it online, and it's also more expensive than regular toothpastes (about $7 and a few more bucks for shipping).

Rembrandt also makes an SLS-free version (I think it's called "Gentle Formula," but I found that one was so dry that it was hard to squeeze out of the tube!

Squigle worked so fast and so well to eliminate my canker sore breakouts that I realize I will always have to "splurge" on my toothpaste, or suffer the consequences!

I've been using it for about two years, and in all that time I've had only two canker sores! I got them both at the same time and it was when I was getting over the flu, so I think they were just from the stress of being run down for a couple of weeks.

As a person who has had canker sores at least once a month most of my life, and in recent years getting them almost non-stop, the SLS-free toothpaste has been a miracle! I sure wish they'd figured this out a lot sooner.

Maybe you could ask your dentist's opinion about trying it. (Mine was clueless, but that was a few years ago.) Good luck to you and your little guy! (01/12/2010)

By mirador

Canker Sore Remedies

If you could talk him into telling you when they are coming on I use a prescription called Clioquinol 3% Hc1% that works wonderful. It is a cream that has to be applied several tims a day and if I catch the sore when it is coming on it won't go ahead and come by using this cream. I cannot drink orange juice over one glass a month or so and have to watch high acid tomatoes also. I have had cold and canker sores for 50 years and this is the best treatment I have found yet. Good luck. (01/13/2010)

By latrtatr

Canker Sore Remedies

When my dd immune system went down she got them. Put hydrogen peroxide on it. Do not double dip q tip in it. Get it super wet and gently let it drop onto the canker sore. Have him watch the bubbles. Ria (01/13/2010)

By HSLINKS

Canker Sore Remedies

Ora Gel will not cure the sore but it will numb it temporarily while he brushes his teeth. (01/13/2010)

By Ann Parker

Canker Sore Remedies

Yes, peroxide diluted with water. (01/13/2010)

By TXBetty

Canker Sore Remedies

My husband has suffered his whole life until he found out about "Listerine" it works! He rinses after he eats certain foods like tomatoes or chocolate and it prevents them and if he does get one rinse at the first sign it they go away or shortens the duration! (01/13/2010)

By jdsjkk

Canker Sore Remedies

If you have a doctor who will write a Rx for you, get it for kenalog in ora base. This stuff is amazing, just before bed, you dry the area and dap on a very small amount. Then go to sleep and the next morning the sore is gone, really gone. But the reason these things come in the first place is from digestion that's screwed up. It's probably from not enough hydrochloric acid production in the stomach. This was my problem. (01/13/2010)

By c t

Canker Sore Remedies

I got these all the time when I was growing up, sometimes two or three at a time and they were horrendous and very painful!

My grandma told my mom to have me put ALUM on them. It's a pickling agent used to make pickles, sold in the spice aisle. It comes in a little jar and is a white powder. It does sting when you first put in on (and doesn't taste good either, very sour) the canker sore, but within seconds it numbs the pain and won't numb the rest of your mouth the way other pain relieving oral cremes can. It also works to heal the sore faster by protecting it and helping it to dry out. It always, always worked for me, and I've used it on my son when he gets them (although he's only had a few).

Abreva won't work - canker sores inside the mouth are not the same as fever blisters or cold sores. Other pain cremes just numb the pain and the rest of your mouth too!

I'd give this a try, it's a very old remedy. Surprised, actually, to see that someone hadn't already mentioned it. That's why I had to... Hope this helps! (powdered alum if you need more clarification but on the label it just says "Alum", which I just looked up on wikipedia and it says it's a common home remedy for canker sores!)
Also the jar lasts a long time.

To use, just wet the tip of your (clean) finger, stick it in the jar to stick some of the powder to your finger, then stick it on your canker sore. I used it as often as I wanted to, whenever the numbing effect wore off (which was a few hours or more) ~Jaidamoon (01/13/2010)

By JaidaMoon

Canker Sore Remedies

The easiest and most painless way to cure canker sores is by dipping a Q-Tip in Pepto-Bismol the hold it on the canker sore for a few minutes. It will feel cool and soothing. Do this 1-3 times a day for 1-2 day's and the canker sore will go away. You can swallow any Pepto that will be in your mouth with your saliva or you can spit it out. It is better to swallow it because this is what cures a sour stomach by lining the wall of your stomach. I am a retired nurse and have used this remedy on myself and my children for many years. It works great!
Pat from Illinois (01/13/2010)

By laplob

Canker Sore Remedies

Try L-Lysine, in the Vitamin Aisle. My grandmother had me do this when I was younger. (01/14/2010)

By JSRP

Canker Sore Remedies

My son had this problem for years. Turns out it was the toothpaste he was using (the red and white-striped one). We switched to Biotene - problem solved. (01/15/2010)

By ccarnow

January 19, 2010 Flag

If you have a canker sore on your lip (or worse, on your tongue) you can help it heal within a day by putting a small bit of baking soda right on the sore.

January 8, 2010 Flag

I am 29 and have suffered since I was little. I get them once a month if I do not take preventative measures. The good bacteria found in natural yogurt is what works for me.

January 14, 2008 Flag

My 10 year old daughter has re-occuring canker sores. Anyone have a home remedy that actually works?

Health & Beauty Home RemediesFebruary 12, 2013
Knitted Myrrh Bag
Knitted Myrrh Bag Patterns
Remedies for Cold Sores
Remedies for Cold Sores
A Bandaid on a toe of a child.
Home Treatment of Infected Wounds
Campho-Phenique
Using Campho-Phenique
🎉
🎄