Remedies for Itchy Ears

Ears can itch for a variety of reasons. This guide is about remedies for itchy ears.

November 11, 2014 Flag

I was finding that every time I came out of a shower, my ears would itch like crazy. They would even start to hurt after awhile. I had been getting ear aches for over 2 years now. I went to the doctor but they were no help; a bunch of pills and a empty wallet and still no help.

After reading hundreds of web pages and articles, I came across a site that kind of described my symptoms. I found out it was similar to summer ear. Then, after scouting around, I decided to try this.

I mix 1 part vinegar to 1 part isopropyl alcohol. With a eye dropper, I put 1 drop into each ear. I think the alcohol evaporates any water and the vinegar prevents bacteria from starting. I couldn't believe how fast it worked for me. I have no more ear aches! After, if I find my ear feel itchy, I put polysporin on a Q-tip to put inside my ears.

One more thing, I find that when I get that itchy ear feeling again if I plug my nose and blow. It usually helps. Don't blow so hard until your ear drums pop, that's not good. Just blow hard enough until you feel and hear the air in your ears. It doesn't last forever but it does give you relief for awhile.

I believe most of all of these symptoms are all cause from allergies and all the pollution out there. No wonder there are so many people coming down with allergies and lung problems. I don't see it getting better any day soon either. I hope this helps someone. Good luck!

Hi- I had the same problem with itchy ears every time I came out of the shower until I change my shampoo!

I've had allergies & itchy ears and ear infections to the point the bones in my left ear eroded and now I'm hard of hearing. So I know what you're going through. My ears itch a lot too. One thing I've learned is to keep my ear canal dry. I don't shower or swim without an ear plug. Prevents soap or chemicals from getting in there too. I blow dry my hair and ear canal too & never sleep with wet hair. Cortisone helps with the itch if it is really bad. Also I try to use a natural beauty bar that is not soap. It's available at a health food store and is a yellow bar in a blue box.

Vinegar is used for yeast or fungus infections, not bacteria.

September 2, 2009 Flag

I felt an annoying tickling in my right ear. My dermatologist diagnosed it as psoriasis and suggested I try T-Gel, a shampoo I had been using for itching of my scalp and dandruff in mustache and eyebrows.

December 15, 2009 Flag

I have a terrible itch deep inside my ear canal and ear drum. I went to the ENT but he insisted my ears were fine. What can I do about this itch? I've tried peroxide with no results.

By Chelz from IL

Sounds like allergies to me. I have the same thing and take Zyrtec when the allergies act up. It's the only thing that would do the trick for me. Grandma Jan

Absolute cure! After years of hell, I have an absolute cure. Intense ear itching, wetness, smelly wax, onion skin tearing off. Tried everything on blog including Zymox, dog ear mite, cortizones, 4 doctors. Serious ear and facial infections. Temp relief from Vicks Vapo Rub in ears. Permanent cure from triamcinolone acetonide ointment usp, 0.5% distributed by Perrigo of Allegan, MI, USA 49010. Hallelujah I'm saved!

I have pinpointed my itchy ears to an intollerance to legumes. Beans, peas and sometimes corn--especially corn starch. Also if I eat too much peanut butter. I tried to go veg once and replace my meat protein with beans but, my ears ended up so weepy, itchy and crusty that I had to stop. My mother also suffered from weepy, itchy ears all her life and never figured it out. She came from a large southern family that ate losts of beans and peas daily. Try eliminating them from your diet for a week and see if things improve then, add them back in and see what happens. Check bread for soy ingredients as well. I can still eat them but, not everyday, just a few times a week--spaced out. Good luck.

July 21, 2013 Flag

My ears are itching and now secreting water and blood. What should I do?

By Shalene

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

On the off chance that the 'water' is spinal fluid, go to the doctor without delay.

Go to a doctor at once.

Go. To. The. Doctor! Blood from the ears is NOT a good sign.

If you have no insurance, most US emergency rooms (and blood from the ears is a genuine emergency) will treat you and help you get on Medicaid.

April 13, 2011 Flag

The outside of my ears is red and very itchy. I have never had this before and am not sure what to treat them with. Any ideas?

By Viv from UK

Or if you have been in the sun a lot it could be from that. In that case apply some aloe juice.

I was also going to mention using over the counter hydrocortizone but just in case it might be that you're allergic to nickel you really should be tested for it.

It's possible that you are allergic to nickel, but more common would be hair styling products!! I don't know the length of your hair, but if it brushes against your ear at all, that could be the culprit. Anything from shampoo, conditioner, hair sprays or gels, hair color etc. Hydrocortisone cream will relieve the itch or you could use all natural Witch Hazel to the same effect.

February 24, 2010 Flag

My ear is always itchy. When I scratch it, the inside makes a squeaky noise. I've cleaned them with a Q-Tip and there is a lot of wax, and there is always more. I've cleaned them so much, that eventually what seems to be blood appears on the end of the Q-Tip. I have no health insurance, and was wondering if anyone knew what this was, or if it was dangerous?

By James from Niles, MI

Take a dropper or just stop the bottle top with your thumb, so it drips one or two drops at a time of pure Hydrogen peroxide,let it bubble for a minute or two, turn your head over and let it drain out. Keep doing it over and over,and the peroxide will bubble the ear wax out from way, way down in your ear.Dry your ear well and repeat on the other side. This worked with my kids, and stopped the earaches,too.

James,

You probably have allergies, these can make your ears itch - very annoying too.

We use an OTC chlortrimeton (WM has no name chlor tabs $3 for 100). It will take 12 hrs at most to get the pills into system (that would be 3 pills, 1 every 4 hrs). We have used these with high BP meds, numerous kinds of antidepressants, diabetes meds, anti psychotics etc = it was also the only thing I could take when I was pregnant.

Swimmers ear is from water getting in ear showers, swimming, rain etc.. Equal amounts of vinegar and alcohol, 3-4 drops in ear.

Wax build up (normal) perioxide is fine. Some one else already wrote about it & how to use.

Wax build up (heavy) this can also be because of irritation - Debrox this is an OTC wax softener.

Ear canal infection from irritation - ie: digging in there with Q tips, eventually you actually scratch the skin and abrade it. It can infect. (*My dd was horrible about this) This is where the allergy meds really helped - it reduced the itching which means less digging. Straight alcohol will burn like crazy, the vinegar/alcohol less so, little bit of olive oil will help the skin inside. Ria

Get a package of DEBROX at your drugstore. Drop the oil in your ear canal at bedtime. The next morning, flush the ear canal (bulb included). The wax should float out.

August 30, 2013 Flag

My right ear is itching so badly it is driving me crazy. It feels like in the middle of my ear all the way down my throat the side, but the back of my of my throat hurts really badly to swallow. It feels like I swallowed a briar patch. And my other ear is beginning to do the same thing. Before my ears and throat began itching I had a headache for over 2 weeks and it is trying to ease up, but still there. Can you please give me any advice to relieve the pain and especially the itch.

By Jennifer from Louisville, KY

Have your taken your temperature? Sounds like you may have an infection. If that's the case the only one that can help is a doctor who will prescribe an antibiotic. So many people don't have health insurance.

I'd call a walk in clinic and ask about seeing a doctor and ask if you can pay it out. Don't know if you'd have any luck but maybe worth a try. Don't know if your health dept could help you but it would probably take weeks or even months before you could be seen. Good Luck!

Go to a doctor. This is not something that you should be dealing with after two weeks. I know here in Canada, we can go for medical care when we need it, and money is not an issue. However, even if you are in the US, there must be some free clinics or low cost places that you can go, if money is an issue. If money is not an issue, get to the doctor today!

March 16, 2014 Flag

Can things from your ear leak into your eyes? I want to try the ear-cleaning hydrogen peroxide method, but am slightly freaked out that it might leak into my eyes. I know this sounds kind of dumb, but sometimes if I get a gum infection my eyes wind up getting it somehow too. So I'm wondering if the ears are connected as well since there are EENT doctors. Thanks.

By JayJay

When you get a gum infection, the the tooth's root goes up into the sinus cavity where the eye socket also is. I always have eye problems when I get a sinus infection. Your ear canal does not connect with your eyes in any way. The eustacion tube (in the ear) drains into your throat. Never use hydrogen peroxide in the ear if you have an ear infection. An ENT is a ear, nose, and throat specialist, not an eye doctor.

Load More
Health & Beauty Home RemediesJuly 22, 2013
Dog With Itchy Ears
Remedies for a Dog With Itchy Ears
Chihuahua puppy
Puppy's Ears Aren't Standing Up
child rubbing eyes
Remedies for Itchy Eyes
Arm With Hives
Remedies for Hives
🎄