Browsing: Remedies for Knotted and Tangled Hair

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Remedies for Knotted and Tangled Hair

Depending on the kind of hair you are dealing with, there are a ways to get it untangled. This guide is about remedies for knotted and tangled hair.

Knotted and Tangled Hair
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

July 22, 2016 Flag

Remedy for tangled hair.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 29, 2014 Flag

Please need help. I have a 5year old mixed race daughter (she has more of African hair). Her hair is stressing me out and don't know what to do. I am thinking of using texturiser, but really don't want to because of the chemicals.

I have tried almost all hair products to soften hair, but she keeps crying. I bought a hot comb to try stretch it out, but she still cried.

I am currently using Tresemme Mositure plus both shampoo and conditioner as I use them for my own natural hair as well, but don't think it is helping her. I am still using Dark and Lovely detangled spray, but she is still crying.

Please need help because my only option now is to cut her hair really short or use a kid's hair softener (Just for Me, Beautiful Beginnings).

Thanks.

By Emma B

My advice as a woman of color: love your daughter's hair! Please please love her hair. It can be a struggle to take care of until she can by herself, but it'll do wonders for her self-image when she can be proud of her natural hair!

Thanks guys.

I have tried conrows and braids. Its great but have to loose the braids one at a time and comb each one because it tangles quickly.

I make her hair into big braids about 10 myself because I have tried at least 3 hair stylist for her hair type and the front of her hair started breaking so I decided to make her hair myself. I will try all that advised and see if it helps.

Hey Emma,

Being mixed, I've been through it myself with not knowing what to do with my hair. My mom relaxed my hair when younger to better deal with it's thickness (she relaxed her hair too, so she knew how to style it better when straight). I recently chopped off my hair almost a year ago to get back to being naturally curly and learning to love my hair as-is. Please do NOT relax her hair or use chemicals. You both will appreciate it in the long run as it'll only cause more breakage. There are many curly girls out there who support each other and many tips/tricks on curly blogs and youtube for sure for visuals. You can check my blog for some tips @ nattycurls.blogspot.ca.

One tip, before attempting to work with her hair, try spritzing with water (moisture) then adding oils (olive oil, coconut oil, etc) to soften. Leave that in until you can almost run your fingers through her hair without hurting her. Then wash it out with SULFATE-FREE shampoo or use a cleansing cream. You could also just rinse with conditioner (aka co-washing). Detangle her hair when wet, after adding lots of leave-in conditioner, trust me if her hair is thick it will soak it all up! Try giving her about 4 braids or so (more if her hair is shorter), leave it overnight, then when dry, undo the braids. This will give her a wavy look and her hair will be more manageable.

Hope this helps as a starter, but start googling and checking youtube/blogs. There is SO much information out there to help you out :) Goodluck on your/her hair journey!

Use a au natural line free of sulfates I use the Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Shine line by Shea Moisture in my daughters hair! It's free of all chemicals, completely natural and it can be found at Walmart and Walgreens. The line has detangling spray, shampoo, conditioner, co-wash, a hold and shine moisture mist, milk, smoothie, and a soufflé gel for staying in place hair styles!! We regularly buy the complete line!!! It's absolutely awesome!! It also comes in different types for different hair types, but I suggested that once since my daughter has very curly hair as well!!!

Read More Answers...

December 18, 2013 Flag

My husband and I are in our 60s. He loves my hair, and has requested that I grow it long for him. So I thought I should at least give it a try. For some strange reason, I didn't remember that it can get matted if it is not brushed out often. I have tried detangler sprays. I even found a special brush for tangles at a local store. It is really a mess. I spent about 3 hours on it yesterday. My arms hurt, and my scalp hurts. Any ideas? Help.

By Lois

Maybe it would be a nice idea to head to your local cosmetology school, maybe once a month or so, to get a nice shampoo and set or blow dry. Just having that done for you would make your hair easier to maintain in between. Always comb your hair or use a detangling brush at night before bed to keep it untangled.

Do something protective, such as a satin pillowcase or cap, or a nice braid or even tie it into a ponytail with an elastic loop or satiny scarf at bedtime; that would help. Always start at the ends when detangling, the process goes faster when you work your way up instead of starting where the tangles are.

When you wear a sweater or other rough or highly textured fabric, wear your hair up (an up-do/bun or ponytail), because that kind of fabric grabs and tangles the hair. If you need to use something to detangle with, a little moisturizing conditioner (about a tablespoon) mixed well in a spray bottle filled with water will help a lot-mist the offending area, wait a minute or so, then start detangling.

Use fairly large teeth or bristles on your styling tools, and use your fingers to check for snags on your styling tools before you buy them. Make sure you get trims regularly-once every 2-3 months, either get a trim at a salon, or trim off a small amount of the ends yourself. If you have regular trims you won't need to have a lot trimmed off each time.

Over time you will begin to be able to feel when you need a trim-your comb will drag through your ends and the ends will tangle or break more easily. It seems like a lot, but once you get your routine all sorted out, it will be effortless.

My source for my suggestions is personal experiences-I once had waist length curly hair, and for 10 years I was a cosmetologist with a lot of long-hair clients of all ages, from all sorts of cultures and nationalities. Once you learn your hair detangling will take maybe 2 or 3 minutes.

First of all, when you wash your hair, use a conditioner. I have found that if you dillute it in warm water before you put it on it works better and you don't use as much. I like Alberto VO5 shampoos because they seem to immediately disperse in the water.

After shampooing and rinsing, pour the dilluted conditioner over all your hair. Use a big tooth comb and comb any tangles out then rinse. After towel drying your hair, again, use the big toothed comb and comb out any tangles, then dry or dry and set your hair.

Before you go to bed, again use the big toothed comb and get rid of any tangles. then brush. If our hair is long enough you can lightly braid it. Then upon waking use the comb again and brush. It does help to comb and brush your hair every day. My hair does not seem to tangle as much when it is permed.

Hi Lois,

I am in my sixties and have had long hair most of my life. Braid your hair at night before going to bed. I have fine hair and never suffer from tangles. Another suggestion is to use a different shampoo and conditioner each time.

Dear Lois,

I send my best wishes to you with growing your hair, it can really be a "crowning glory", but it can be a real pain and a lot of work and care. It sounds like you might have dry hair, as I do sometimes. Like the posts recommend, keep it conditioned, and I even will put a little jojoba or almond oil on it while wearing between shampoos - just a little till you see if you like it. This has helped me with lessening tangles.

But the most important thing I always say, is to prevent them in the first place! Control your hair with a braid, one of those lace up things for a long ponytail, or in a bun with plastic hair pins. Watch out that your metal barettes and clamps don't break your hair, and don't ever let it "fly in the breeze" it snaps off the ends-making split ends, and tangles like crazy.

Care for your hair like fine cashmere, it will look good on you!

OrahLee

P.S. Read on the internet about long hair too.

January 22, 2006 Flag

I remember seeing a recipe for a leave in conditioner for your hair in a magazine many years ago, however I don't recall what it was. Does anyone know of a recipe for leave in conditioner? I think it had fabric softener in it, but I'm not 100% positive.

AC from Minnesota

I need a homemade recipe recipe for science fair for my horse what recipes should I use??

Thank you SO much for the conditioner recipes. My dd3 has been bedridden for 3 days. It is too painful to get her up to wash her hair and laying so much was making her hair a dry tangled mess! The leave in conditioner recipe did the trick, for no money at all. Thank you from a grateful Mama.

I mixed 1/2 oz jojoba oil, 1/2 oz sweet almond oil, 1/4 oz vegetable glycerin, 10 drops rosemary oil. In spray bottle combine ingredients, add water to fill, shake well and spray on wet hair. Leaves it silky, shiny, and gets rid of frizz.

One tablespoon of Epsom salts with warm distilled water (last longer without water going funky). Put in a old spray bottle about 22-24 oz. Shake well to dissolve salts. Shake before using. Spray until hair is wet and comb through. Will make your hair curly if its magnesium depleted. Hair will be incredibly soft and easily combed through. Can add a 1/2 tsp of conditioner or fabric softener if your hair is really thick. I would try more epsom before putting more chemicals on your hair first though.

Should use a wooden wide tooth comb. Best for your hair wet or dry. Boar bristle brush for your 100 strokes per night to move oil down to ends of hair. Prevents split ends and stimulates blood circulation for hair growth and healthy hair. Eat well and take biotin. My hair, nails, skin were dry brittle and hair falling out due to meds. Ate more veges and take biotin. My hair is almost to my waist, really stretchy. My hair grows extremely slow.

Read More Answers...

August 5, 2010 Flag

For hair detangler, fill a spray bottle with one third hair conditioner and two thirds water. Spray on hair and comb out. This not only detangles your hair, but also stretches your hair conditioner.

Source: The Dollar Stretcher

By duckie-do from Cortez, CO

December 6, 2014 Flag

I am having trouble with my daughter's thick tangled hair. Dealing with her hair is a pain and it hurts her when I have to comb her tangles out. Help. I do use conditioner in a bottle, but it seems like it makes her hair look oily or like too much conditioner is in it? She won't let me cut her hair haha.

December 5, 2012 Flag

I had washed my hair and it got really tangled and knotted up. I've tried conditioner, mayo, olive oil, washing it again with conditioner in it, detangler shampoo, and Vaseline and none of it helped. Does anyone know what I an use for my hair?

August 5, 2010 Flag

I need to make "hair detangler". It is for a small girl who swims every night in her bath, the cost of buying hair detangler is getting too high.

Health & Beauty Beauty Hair Tips TipsDecember 10, 2012
A gold chain.
Removing Tangled Hair from Jewelry
Beautiful woman with frizzy hair looking at her comb, with a pained expression
Remedies for Frizzy Hair
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 21, 2016 at 8:24:51 PM on 10.0.1.53 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.