Remedies for Post Nasal Drip

I have been suffering from post nasal drip for the last 3 weeks. I am currently using a nasal wash (saline), Vicks Vapour Rub, a decongestant cough syrup, garlic, C and horseradish tablets (Nature's Own), and I have also started drinking a lot more water.

The symptoms seem to have reduced a little, but I still have the lump in my throat which is very annoying and frustrating. I find it hard to sleep sometimes, although laying down seems to make it feel a lot better than sitting up. I was using a nasal spray as well which I used for approximately 2 weeks, but I found was making me feel worse.

I find talking a lot seems to make it a lot worse as well, which makes it hard considering I work as a customer service representative. Can anyone recommend anything else for me to try? Thanks.

By Mel585 from Australia

Answers:

Remedies for Post Nasal Drip

Try an over the counter antihistamine like Benadryl or it's generic equivalent. It dries up the secretions. (08/17/2009)

By OliveOyl

Remedies for Post Nasal Drip

Besides seeing and ear, nose, throat specialist, which should be at the top of your list. You can try Nasal Crom if it is avail where you live. It is a nasal spray avail over the counter. In USA it is $7-$14 at Walmart, 2 different sizes. It can be used every 4 hours, and has no rebound or "addictive" properties like Afrin type sprays do.

The active ingredient is cromolin sodium, which was used in breathing treatments for asthma.
Best of luck to you, but do try the doctor first if at all possible. There are many serious health problems that could be the cause of your condition. (08/17/2009)

By fatboyslimsmom

Remedies for Post Nasal Drip

With your mentioning of the lump in your throat (and the duration of this nasal drip) I really think you should see a doctor. (08/20/2009)

By Deeli

Remedies for Post Nasal Drip

My home remedy for post nasal drip is to stand in the shower with warm water running over the sinuses for as long as I can. This liquefies the drainage and when I step out of the shower, I blow my nose to clear my head. I do this as often as necessary, but since you work, in the AM and PM should keep the drainage reduced. This gets rid of the phlegm and reduces the infection risks because you get rid of the phlegm and as much doesn't drain into your stomach. When I feel "stuffy" I immediately start the regimen to prevent a serious issue. I have reduced the number of times I've been sick during the year. Good luck. (08/21/2009)

By mklema92658

Remedies for Post Nasal Drip

I'd see a doctor if I were you. In the meantime, here is a recipe for a drink that I really like when I have a sore throat:

Hot Lemonade

• 3 cups water
  • 2 tablespoons chopped sugared ginger*
  • 6 whole cloves
  • 1/3 cup lemon juice
  • 4 tablespoons honey

Bring water to a boil, add ginger and cloves, steep for 10 minutes. Pour into a glass quart jar. Add lemon juice, honey, and enough water to fill the quart jar. Strain and serve hot. May also be kept chilled in fridge and heat as needed. Leaving the ginger and cloves in the lemonade increases the strength. If the pieces of ginger are large, chop in a food processor along with a few tablespoons of sugar, store in an airtight container.

*Sometimes sold as crystallized ginger. (08/21/2009)

By Allison

Remedies for Post Nasal Drip

I get these all the time. My doctor gave me a full explanation about the drip and he told me what to do so I wouldn't waste my time coming in for the same thing. The drip causes the sore throat or lump in your throat. Usually occurs when you're sleeping or can occur throughout the day. You'll know if you wake up with a sore throat. This becomes a problem if the drip turns to a cough and later can cause fluid in the lungs, or spitting up phlem. If either of these occur you should see a doctor.

Green phelm means infection. However in the mean time he recommended taking over the counter items to stop the drip at night (which is when mine occurs most often), lozenges during the day so you don't feel drowsy or groggy at work. Read the box at the store to find what you need. You don't need a product that covers 50 ailments just the minimum. You can take something during the day too to open the sinuses to drain and stop clogging at night, but that depends on what your issues are during the day. Hope this helps. (09/03/2009)

By kimcar09

Remedies for Post Nasal Drip

I have suffered allergies for most of my 50 years and can tell you now, that other than finding out exactly what you are allergic or sensitive to and being treated for that problem, shots or allergy tablets, is the only real solution to post nasal drip. I myself use Alavert when the various pollens and molds are really high. I only use as needed, keep my nose blown (don't blow too hard or you will damage the linings of your sinuses), and when I get that "tickle" that makes me cough I sip at unsweetened lemon tea or water with lemon in it.

This usually keeps me from getting a sinus infection, which if not taken care of immediately, it then turns to bronchitis and then to pneumonia. It is very wise to go to the doc even when you just blow yellow from your nose as this means the start of a sinus upset and green simply means the infection is worse. I have also had the lump in my throat that is very annoying. Usually, once I took the antibiotics for the sinus infection, the lump also went away.

There are also a few medicines that I can't take because they cause a lump inside my throat. Most pharmacists, or their computer read-outs on a product, will tell you (under side effects) that if you feel a lump in your throat to contact your doctor immediately. Some long-term medicines can also cause this after being taken for a long time and the prescription has to be changed for a while. (09/08/2009)

By Juanita S.

Remedies for Post Nasal Drip

To all those who suffer from cold related problems, I want to say this. I was also some one who suffered a lot due to the frequent cold, post nasal drip, etc. I had tried many remedies some times desperately. I used to search on the internet for remedies. Some remedies used to give me partial cure and relief, but nothing was a permanent solution. Finally a couple of months ago I happened to read a news in the news paper about green tea and its capabilities to control cold related problems.

I tried this and can say now that this worked absolutely fine for me. I drink 7-8 glasses of green tea a day now, but without adding milk and sugar. I want you too to try this and I am confident that it will give you at least a major relief from your cold related problems. Please remember that it will be difficult to drink green tea without sugar and milk initially, but you will definitely get used to it and it will definitely bring you results. All the best. (03/17/2010)

By arafeek

A woman using nasal drops.
Remedies for Post Nasal Drip
Cat Scratching Sisal Post
Repairing a Sisal Wrapped Cat Scratching Post
Woman using nasal spray.
Using Nasal Spray
Drip Irrigation System Watering Flowers
Installing a Drip Irrigation System
Dirty drip pan and stove top.
Keeping Electric Range Drip Pans Clean
🎉
🎄