Using Nasal Spray

Woman using nasal spray.
Nasal spray can help with sinus congestion. However, proper usage will help achieve the best results and help prevent the rebound effect of overusage. This is a guide about using nasal spray.

Do you have allergies? Does your nose get dry? Do you ever use a saline moisturizing mist (nose spray)? Well, I've had a stuffy nose and of course, other times I had the crusty nose and the post nasal drip and such. I still do not know for sure what's going on but I am beginning to believe I've developed allergies. No one else in the family has these symptoms.

Well anyway, I had bought some Ziacam spray at a drug store and paid high for it ($10.99) and, although it seemed to really help me to breath better, after a couple days I developed a strange smell and taste in my mouth, even though the directions said it absolutely would not cause that and it was homeopathic. I stopped taking it.

Yesterday, while at Dollar General I happened to notice products like that, that they sell. I decided to buy a box of nose spray. It was only $2.50 and it is called 4-Way Saline Moisturizing Mist and is made by Bristol-Myers. It has eucalyptol and Menthol. You just squeeze the bottle and inhale at the same time. It says it is alcohol free, non-medicated, non-habit forming, soothes dry irritated nasal passages and makes nose feel clearer. It says the ingredients are recommended by ENT's.

So far I like it and no side effects. It seems I can breath better. I think this would be good to use in the winter when the house is drier. I just thought I'd mention because it is so much cheaper than some of those other products. The clerk told me she sells a lot of this and people rave about how well it works and such a good price.

When I try to lay down/sleep, my sinuses instantly clog up, and I can't breath through my nose. Are there any techniques or remedies to stop this? All I know is to sit straight up. Please help.

By Will from New York City, NY

I would try using a Neti pot to irrigate/cleanse your sinuses before you lay down. It is a simple, inexpensive thing to do, uses no drugs, and can be your first line of defense against sinus troubles. You can also use saline sprays, but they're more expensive.

If the sinus clogging is from being ill, a nasal spray like Afrin or Dristan (look at the ingredients and buy the store brand equivalent to save money) can be used for a couple of days (NOT longer, or you can run into more problems).

If the sinus clogging is from allergies, ask your doctor about daily-use nasal sprays that help stop the inflammation, or for a safe antihistamine to use to prevent you from "making" so much drainage material.

In either case, you may also benefit from an oral decongestant to help clear out your head. Talk to your doctor, or the store pharmacist before you start mixing medicines, though!

Good luck! Clogged sinuses are no fun.

Thank you so much! The neti pot worked well.

Oh, that's great news! I love mine; have not gotten my semi-annual sinus infection since I learned to use one! And I like that it is drug-free and can be used as often as I need it!

I was advised to give up drinking milk, eating ice cream (love both) and it took about 3-4 weeks to notice a big change, no more sinus congestion after lying down by the end of 2 months. Haven't had a problem since and that was 1.5 yrs ago. It was the dairy products that created post-nasal sinus drip.

There is also a product used on the outside of the nose called Breathe Right strips. They use a mild adhesive to stick to the outside of the nose and pull open your nasal openings. There are also cheaper generic alternatives. They really help.

Take a hot shower. Steam is the most natural way to open up your sinuses. You can hang a few sprigs of Eucalyptus in the shower with you as well. Get a humidifier for your room. Use vicks menthol rub, a dab right under your nose will clear it right up also. Try to back off the nasal sprays. They are ok for short term use, but can actually do damage if used on a regular basis. Someone mentioned milk. My son has this same allergy to milk; I couldn't believe it at first lol.

Neti pots are great - I use half the amount of buffered salt in the individual package. I used regular salt and it burned (and I do mean burned) the inside of my nose when I had a bad cold. Don't even think of doing that!

The only thing you want to look out for is if you have a sore in your nose! ow!