Remedies for Sweaty Hands

Sweaty palms or palmoplantar hyperhidrosis often begins around 13 and continues throughout life. While embarrassing, medical treatment and self care can help alleviate the symptoms. This is a guide about remedies for sweaty hands.

May 26, 2006 Flag

My 12-year-old has a problem with sweaty palms and feet. This has been a problem since she was a baby. At 12 she is embarrassed by the problem. She constantly has to wipe her hands while writing, drawing, using the computer, etc. She is unable to wear most sandals and some styles of shoes because of the build up of moisture on her soles. Does anyone have a solution to her problem?

ddavisgray from Texas

I have sweaty palms to ever since I was younger. Now I'm 15 and it became more of a serious problem. I can't write as consistently due to my sweaty palms. I have trouble giving hand shakes. In tennis i have problems gripping my racket since my hands sweated so much. When I swung at the ball, I lost the grip of my racket and it dropped to the floor. It was embarrassing :/ .

Hi! I have a problem with my twins, their hands & feet are sweating excessively. I'm afraid it will get worse when they grow up they are only 5 months old now, please. Can anyone help me with this? Thanks.

I have the same problem. I'm almost 30 now and have dealt with it my whole life. I used to get really down about it. It's all I thought about for a long time. But I've started to come to a better place with it, and I think once you realize it is a part of you that is not going to change. It makes it a little easier. From what I understand it is some kind of anxiety disorder, and although it is so hard to try and not think about it. I swear its the only thing that seems to work. I know when I dwelling on it, just makes it happen much more.

Same here! I've had this for a long time. I always have to wipe my sandals thoroughly with a damp cloth after wearing them. WHILE wearing them, when the sweat dries up under my feet, it can get real itchy too. Even as I'm sitting here typing this, I have a handkerchief over the mouse so that my sweaty hands don't dirty or leave marks on it, and a house mat under my feet - without it the floor starts to feel sort of dusty from the dried sweat.

It can be really embarrassing during PE when the warm ups aren't even over yet, and you're already drenched in sweat. One weird thing though, they say that excessive sweating = hyperhidrosis, runs in the family, but throughout my whole family, even my extended one, NO ONE has excessive sweating. Huh?

Hi I have googled it and the best 2 products to try are drysol and driclor. This is annoying, and hearing these statements from people are like hearing myself speak. I hate this sweaty palm thing allot.

The only way to cure the overactive sweat gland is through surgery. No chemicals worked for me. After nearly crashing my car and slipping off work out equipments at the gym, I had enough. I couldn't do anything without carrying a roll of paper towels or a hand towel. I was frustrated because I couldn't type continuously without stopping and my keyboard was filthy dirty. Interviews were the worse. Summers were unbearable. Anyways, after doing careful research I found a doctor who has performed thousands of surgery on people who suffer from hyperhidrosis. Before the surgery, I spoke to several of his patience and they were so happy, that they said that if they had to do it again, they would. They were right! It's hereditary, so it's passed down in the family. My operation was performed in 2002 and my cousin in 2008. The doctor has been on several talk shows and magazines. It may not be for every one, but it wouldn't hurt to consult with the doctor to determine what your best options are. Go to website below.

Good luck! http://www.sweaty-palms.com/

Try acupuncture. I was going weekly (I forget if I was getting Chinese Herbs as well) but the sweaty palms improved greatly over time. When I stopped getting acupuncture a few weeks went by and they started getting bad again. Now I'm in school to become an acupuncturist and I have to touch my classmates all the time :-/ I'm running back to the clinic to try and get rid of this problem; its awful. My boyfriend is great; when we got together and I warned him he said "whatever, its just salt and water!" He says ew sometimes, but joking, he's a great guy and doesn't care about that stupid stuff. Its embarressing with people who have never heard of this sort of thing tho.

I also have hyperhidrosis. I've lived with it all of my life. I've had the ETS surgery twice, first time was unsuccessful and the second time only corrected my left hand (right hand still sweats). I now have uncontrollable compensatory sweating (sweating of the back, torso, thighs, and butt.) The compensatory sweating is sometimes more embarrassing than the sweaty hands, especially if you live in a hot climate, as I do. There are many websites you can check this out at to get more informed. Hope this helps someone. Hyperhidrosis is a very embarrassing thing to live with. People don't understand unless they have it and deal with all that comes along with it.

I sweat very badly through my palms and feet. I swear this problem is so embarrassing and I have been going through this since childhood, and feel really bad about it. My friends make fun of me all the time. Whenever I go to socialize with people I think of this problem and wouldn't dare to even shake hands with them. I am scared to try new things and even touch some stuff. Please help me out.

I also have this problem, I've had it ever since I was really young, I'm 15 now. It's so embarrassing and people make fun of me for it. I asked my doctor and she said the only way she knows is surgery, or botox. I'm scared that neither of those will work. I hate it though! I always am wiping my hands off, and I cant even shake someones hand! I also can't wear sandals... I hate it!

May 10, 2013 Flag

My hands sweat way too much and no one understands the problem unless they go through it. I would really appreciate it if you guys could give me some helpful suggestions that stop sweaty hands permanently. I know a lot of you guys ask questions like this, so please reply asap. Thanks!

By Maria

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I found the following information on this:

Here is what earthclinic.com has to say:

http://www.earthclinic.com/CURES/sweat2.html

Here is an overall informational article about sweaty palms:

http://www.ehow.com/about_5379901_causes-sweaty-palms.html

Hope any of this helps you a bit!

My son has the same problem. His doctor put him on a hand cream called Drysol. Hopefully this helps.

I would also suggest Drysol. Ask your pharmacist to get it for you if it is not in the store. It should be in the antiperspirant section.

April 24, 2010 Flag

What are the best solutions to help an 8 year old with excessively sweaty hands?

By Karin from FL

There are a few good tips in the ThriftyFun archives below :-)

If you feel this is a problem I would take my child to the doctor, either a pediatrician or a dermatologist. In the mean time try using an antiperspirant. one that doesn't have a deodorant. One brand name would be Certin-Dri. I don't think there is a deodorant in that. Ask the pharmacist they will gladly give you free advice.

I would take the child to their pediatrician.

Baby powder helps. I know someone that had an operation done for that problem.

There is a treatment that helps with sweaty hands & feet. My son (now 15) suffers from hyperhidrosis & has since a baby, just not diagnosed until around age 10. Some insurance companies consider it experimental, but will consider paying for it after trying clinical strength antiperspirant, then Drysol (Rx). It's called "iontophoresis". The dermatologist & rheumatologist both recommended this as the next step but neither could tell me how to get the treatment. I searched for several months & finally found a connection to it with physical therapists. Apparently they use it for arthritis, etc. I checked with a local PT & she agreed to help us.

There are 2 different types of iontophoresis treatments, one using patches with a solution & the other uses tap water...submerge your hands/feet in the water & it runs electrical currents, using the minerals in the water to control the sweating. We tried the patches with the PT, 3x's a week & gradually reduced to 1x per week. The only problem w/ the patch is it only worked where the patch was. Since this is a lifetime treatment (just reduces amount of treatments needed), we eventually purchased the water machine to use at home. It covers the entire areas & has worked great (when we actually get my son to sit long enough to do the treatment...lol). I really hope this information will help others with this horrible problem!

April 18, 2005 Flag

If you have trouble with sweaty palms, a squirt of antiperspirant deodorant to them will help alleviate the problem.

By Robin

Health & Beauty AdviceMay 13, 2013
Pregnant woman with morning sickness near bathroom sink
Morning Sickness Remedies
Young woman scratching her head furiously.
Dandruff Remedies
A girl sticking out her tongue.
Remedies for a Sore Tongue
Sweating Feet
Remedies for Sweating Feet
🎉
🎄