Remedies for a Puppy With Diarrhea

Category Health
Sad looking english bulldog with owners hand petting him
Diarrhea can be a very serious condition for your puppy. It needs prompt attention to protect your pet's health. This is a guide about remedies for a puppy with diarrhea.

When giving Pepto Bismol for diarrhea in puppies do you give a dose each time they have diarrhea? The bottle says for humans to give a dose at onset and a dose each time you have diarrhea after that. I'm just checking. Thanks.

By Joseph from GA

Answer Was this helpful? 1

I found this when I looked it up:

http://www.veti  epto-bismol.html

Diarrhea is a symptom of Parvo so be careful. I would take it to the vet to have it tested and, if needed, treated. The longer you wait, the harder it is to treat. It can also be worms, which needs to be tested for and treated. You can often do more harm than good home treating an animal without knowing what you are doing.

I would first make a vet appt, and then start feeding it canned pumpkin, which helps with both constipation and diarrhea problems.

Blessings,

Robyn

Please go to the vet asap. this is an emergency

The person you should be talking to is a Veterinarian.

I have a 6-7 week old puppy, Lab X. She has really bad diarrhea. I have been giving her puppy dry food and a small splash of lactose free milk for breakfast, dry biscuits - a small hand full for lunch, and a tablespoon of wet food for dinner and another small hand full of biscuits for night time supper. I have cut her back to just dry biscuits and water at the moment, to start the process of elimination. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Take to the vet. A puppy of that age can dehydrate and die quickly. Most are not even weaned at that age, and should not be taking regular food yet

You should not be introducing any food until the puppy has no episodes of diarrhea or vomiting for 24 hours.

This could be a milder case of parvo or distemper.

It could also be just a case of not being mature enough to digest kibble yet. Most kibbles have many grain fillers like corn and soy. So do biscuits. Puppies' digestive systems are delicate and they sometimes reject food with too many allergens at this stage.

Puppy With Diarrhea

I have 2 mixed breed puppies; they are 3 months old. One has diarrhea and the other doesn't. They do not have worms and they are playful. They both eat and drink just fine. Is there anything I can give the puppy to stop the diarrhea? I have tried rice, but it does not work.

By Jennifer from PA

Answers:

Puppy With Diarrhea

Make sure he eats puppy food and deworm him. I bet he will be good as new in no time. (10/19/2009)

By marzanna

Puppy With Diarrhea

Take him to the doctor. It can be very dangerous when little animals get diarrhea. (10/20/2009)

By michawnpita

Puppy With Diarrhea

Both puppies should be seen by a vet, especially the one with diarrhea. (10/20/2009)

By Maryeileen

Puppy With Diarrhea

I go and get a bottle of Kaopectate (feedstore) and it works great, it is cheap and has no side effects. He might be allergic to rice, too. I have a dog that is and she gets it if I give her some. If everything else fails, use Imodium ID. It works! (10/20/2009)

By Margithelga

Puppy With Diarrhea

The vet told me once that Pepto Bismol is safe for dogs. Just be careful if you give them too much, it will constipate them. I give my 10 lb dog an eye drop full every time she has "an episode" (diarrhea or vomiting), it works. (10/21/2009)

By SophiaMia

Puppy With Diarrhea

Cottage cheese, that is what my vet had me feed my Great Dane when he had diarrhea. After the diarrhea stops only give him rice and boiled skinless chicken for 2 days so his digestive system can get back to normal. If the cottage cheese does not stop the diarrhea within 24 hours, take him to the vet; because it is something serious. (10/21/2009)

By speakeasy

My puppy is now 3 months old, and for the last 3-4 days he has had loose stools and I am getting worried about him. He is still eating and drinking, but it doesn't seem to be getting better. I have changed his food to dog food not puppy food. What do you think it could be?

By Elisha from Rochdale

Answers:

Puppy With Diarrhea

Some dogs have very sensitive tummies. Did puppy get any
thing like say a piece of chicken? Gives my big galoot loose bowels. Is he able to get into garbage, or find food on a plate on the floor, say a child might have left?

Has it had all it's shots? (08/25/2009)

By PIKKA

Puppy With Diarrhea

If you have changed his dog food then that alone can be the reason for the diarrhea. Gradually wean the dog on new food change by mixing with the old. This will help your dog's system make the adjustment and will be easier on him. (08/25/2009)

By Lorelei

Puppy With Diarrhea

Not sure why you changed from puppy food to dog food, but your dog is a puppy. Puppy food is very important for puppies because it has ingredients in it to help puppies grow healthy such as extra calories which puppies need for development. So you might want to slowly switch back to the puppy food and then leave the pup on it until around 1 year then adult food. Best of luck. (08/26/2009)

By S Singer

Puppy With Diarrhea

If you have not wormed your puppy that is probably the reason. Puppies are born with worms, which they ingest through the mother's milk. You need to worm three times, two weeks apart to rid them of the parasites. Then you need to keep it up once a month. Ask whoever you got the puppy from whether they already did the initial worming treatments.

You can do a fecal test very inexpensively at the vet's to determine the type of worms you are dealing with and use the wormer that they recommend (either buy it from them or from 1800 Pet-Meds or similar). Never use grocery store wormers as the can do your pet a lot of damage.
(09/01/2009)

By Alice2009

Puppy With Diarrhea
I recently, 1/25/08, adopted another poodle which just happened to be the brother of the one I own. Max came from an elderly woman who couldn't handle the wants and needs of a puppy. Both are approx 9 months old, my problem is Max, the one I just adopted, has a bout of diarrhea and a frequent need to urinate.

I figured this was due to nerves being in a new home. After 2 days the frequent need to urinate has subsided, but the diarrhea has continued. On 1/27, Peppy, his brother, started having diarrhea. He was fine before his brother arrived. I have been feeding them Pedigree brand moist pouches, Peppy's normal food which he loves and also which Max seems to like.

Peppy never had this diarrhea problem from this food. The stool is moist and sometimes stringy. Both seem to have a hard time to defecate so the stools are spread out over a small area. Now today, 1/28, Peppy vomited a little. Both seem happy, are very active, and love playing with each other. Peppy is a bit larger than his brother, he weighs about 13 pounds while his brother is a smaller build and weighs about 9 pounds. Both look healthy .

Will the diarrhea stop on its own, or is there a problem that Peppy may have contracted from Max? Should I give this a few more days and see what happens? I am getting a little concerned. Thanks for your help.

Norm from Woonsocket, Rhode Isalnd

Answers:

Both Puppies Have Diarrhea

Have you taken the puppies to the vet? Diarrhea can be deadly, especially in puppies. (01/30/2008)

By luvmygingerkids

Both Puppies Have Diarrhea

You at least need a stool check on the pups. Of course they should have had their puppy shots and be on monthly heart worm prevention now, but if not they need that when they are better too. Make an appointment today before they get dehydrated. (01/30/2008)

By junebug_000

Puppies With Diarrhea

I would say they need worming. A simple test at the vets office can tell you what kind of worms they have, and get the appropriate meds. (02/01/2008)

By glinda

Puppies With Diarrhea

Sounds like a trip to the vet is necessary asap. (02/01/2008)

By daisy

Puppies With Diarrhea

I switched my dog's food ONE time suddenly back with the dog food scare, and she had very runny poo with mucus in it. The vet told me to keep her on the same food and slowly wean her off onto a new food. She was fine once back on her regular food and I've never switched again. Is there any blood in the stool? My friend's dog had a bacterial infection once but there was mucus and blood. Hope this helps! (02/01/2008)

By katjax36

Puppies With Diarrhea

It sounds like it could be giardiasis. It's an infection that causes the body not to take in nutrients. Some symptoms are diarrhea, vomit, lack of appetite. It is not always easy to realize. It can be spread between dogs- which would make sense while your other dog now has the symptoms. Be very cautious as people can get it as well. Disinfect everything, even where they go potty outside or they will keep contracting it. It's usually gotten from bad water, could have been rain water when they were outside. The vet can do a test for it. (02/01/2008)

By Monica Starr

Puppies With Diarrhea

Puppies can dehydrate very quickly. Take both, along with stool samples, to the vet ASAP. Could be parvo which can be fatal. (02/01/2008)

Puppies With Diarrhea

Hello, sorry to hear about your problem. We had something like this but worse. Go to a farm store, that carries meds for cattle, horses, etc. Buy the powder Electrolytes. All you do is mix in with their water. A lot of times you can get it with vitamins. Cook them some rice, add some can pumpkin, just plain, not the pumpkin pie mix. Pumpkin is suppose to stop it. Or you can add a little cooked chicken to the rice, or cooked hamburger. Worms will cause Diarrhea too.

If they have not been given a treatment, give them one. We gave ours some of the pink stomach medicine humans take. Only a Tablespoon. Keep the liquids going in until they stop. We kept this up, and ours stopped the diarrhea. Don't give up. When it stops, introduce their food a little at a time with the rice. God Bless. (02/02/2008)

By Vickie

Puppies With Diarrhea

Cooked rice is good to clear this for dogs. Also call your vet if this keeps up. (02/02/2008)

By Pat

Puppies With Diarrhea

You know one dog has given the other dog some sort of virus or bacterial infection. This could be any number of things from benign to serious. Keep them well hydrated and get them to a vet today! (02/04/2008)

By D