Toddler With Diarrhea

Category Health
Diarrhea is common in children. Finding the cause and best treatment is necessary to prevent side effects such as dehydration. This is a guide about toddler with diarrhea.

My 2 yr old daughter has pale diarrhea and has a really bad diaper rash. What can I do for her?

By mommiof22011 from Stillwater, OK

Answers

This onlly sounds gross to a non parent, but what does the diarreha smell like? If it smells really bad, like rotten eggs it could be roto virus. My boy had it twice when he was a toddler. Both times we had to take him to the hospital because he was dehydrated. As for the rash, go with Buttpaste made by beaudrox (sp). It comes in a yellow tube and is THE BEST stuff on the market. Her rash will be gone within a day. Good luck and I hope she feels better.

I would try taking her off any dairy for a few days. Both of my children developed temporary lactose intolerance after bouts with minor viruses when they were small. The diarrhea caused by their inability to handle milk caused terrible diaper rash! On the advice of a pediatrician I called (not ours, we were away the first time this happened), I stopped milk and all milk products for a few days, and it all cleared up. We used lactose-free milk and other products for a few months, then reintroduced regular milk to see if they could handle it. Both were fine after that.

Take her to the doctor ASAP. My son was like that when he was little and he needed a prescription cream to clean up the rash. I believe it was a fungal infection.

My 2 year old drank too much milk and now she has diarrhea, is there anything I can do? I gave her milk in the morning and then watered down juice. I just gave her water for the rest of the afternoon and she still had it. Are there any ideas that people have?

By Joannie

Answers

No more sugary stuff while her system is getting back to normal. Sugar is hydrophilic (water loving) and will pull more water into her intestines. My daughter would get constipated a lot, and we had to avoid rice because it would make the situation worse. I'd suggest feeding her some bland foods...toast, mashed potatoes, a plain chicken rice soup.

And, please, if you're very concerned you should give her pediatrician's office a call. I can always call and speak to the nurse. If she doesn't have answers for me, she'll check with the doctor and call me back. If they hear anything very worrisome, they'll recommend a visit (although sometimes a call is enough!).

I hope your daughter is feeling better soon. I know that upset tummies are no fun!

Give her a cookie with coconut in it. As an adult, I eat a few flakes of coconut or sprinkle it on my cereal but a toddler might not eat that as easily as a cookie like a macarron. A natural remedy.

My pediatrician had us use the <b>BRATY</b> diet: <b>B</b>ananas, <b>R</b>ice, <b>A</b>pplesauce, <b>T</b>oast, and <b>Y</b>ogurt. These foods are the best foods for diarrhea and vomiting. Of course, LOTS of water is important to avoid dehydration. Juice is absolutely out. Too much apple juice will give a kid diarrhea. You can also use Pediatlyte or Ensure if your child is sick for several days and you're worried about nutrients. The advice nurse at the doctors office will have more specific recommendations and there's typically no charge for the call.

Boil some rice with a lot of water, let cool, give her the liquid off the rice. This works.

One of my sons was sensitive to milk as an infant. We had to put him on soy milk until he was a toddler. Have you had the child checked for any allergy or sensitivity to dairy products?

Anonymous

I hope you have called your toddlers pediatrician! That is the very best person to ask advice because they know your little one!

When my kids were little and got diarrhea, I made some jello and before the jello gelled, I gave them a glass of "jello water". It always seemed to help, plus it got some liquids into them. They always liked it. I don't know if that is what the pediatrician would recommend, but it worked for us.

Try the BRAT diet, B-banana, R-rice, A-applesauce, T- toast, plain. This is a very old remedy, which was used for my mom, me, my kids, etc. Usually works. No more juice.

I feel your pain. My 13 month old has had diarrhea for 24 days. We did stool testing, today we did blood draw. She had diarrhea two months ago, also lasting about three weeks before it finally cleared up. She has no other symptoms except very mucusy stool. But when it lasts this long it is hard to tell what else may be impacting the problem. She has been teething some, also came down with another viral illness after about one week into the diarrhea, but that supposedly cleared up according to her pediatrician. I'm at a complete loss as well. We're going to wait for the blood workup to come back and then go from there to a ped GI specialist if no definite results. I hope your son gets better soon. I will post an update on our situation.

Not a very pleasant topic, but here goes anyways. My son is 20 months old and has had diarrhea for the last 4 weeks. Numerous trips to the doctor haven't helped. All tests have come back normal. He has lost 1 lb in the last month, and is still losing. He is also throwing up (usually only at night, in bed!), but the doctor still tells us to just wait it out. He is still eating and drinking, and acting normally for the most part.

I think something more is going on with him, but don't know what to do. Since it's already been a month, I don't want to wait it out any longer. I was told to try adding powdered acidophilus to his drinks, but this hasn't helped either. Any other suggestions that you have would be very much appreciated!

Melanie

Answers:

Toddler With Diarrhea

I would take him to see another doctor! I can't see how this is normal. I would be very careful about what you feed him. Sugary snacks and drinks and other junk foods will only make this worse. Good luck with your little one. I hope nothing major is wrong. (08/02/2007)

By tthompson

Toddler With Diarrhea

I would be concerned about the weight loss, too. Has your doctor checked for parasites and bacterial infections? Does your son drink a lot of milk (dairy products) or sugary juices (or with sorbitol)? There is something called "toddler's diarrhea". This is all talked about on this site:

www.pediatrics.about.com

I sure hope you find an answer soon. God bless you! (08/02/2007)

By Luvyabye

Toddler With Diarrhea

Lactose intolerance can cause diarrhea and vomiting. So can teething. Good luck with your little boy, hope it's nothing serious. (08/02/2007)

By perfume and powder

Toddler With Diarrhea

Get a 2nd opinion. Just because this Dr. didn't find anything doesn't mean there isn't something wrong. I don't think diarrhea and vomiting is normal. Not to scare you, but there is a disease where the person cannot tolerate any gluten. I think it's called Celiac's disease. Might very well be diary products, too. What type of Dr. has he seen? Good luck and let us know what happens. (08/03/2007)

By Debbie52

Toddler With Diarrhea

Some kids develop milk allergies which are similar, but not the same as lactose intolerance. Milk allergies can happen at any age. One of my daughters had it and it caused exactly what you describe. I had to switch her to soy only for one year, then slowly wean her back on to regular dairy items. She's fine now thank goodness, but they tested her too and nothing ever came up. I read up and took away all the dairy and she was suddenly okay. Goodluck. (08/03/2007)

By Celiessecond

Toddler With Diarrhea

My daughter used to get diarrhea from red dye #40. I guess it is probably an allergy thing. My doctor never figured it out; I did. It would also burn her little tush. We cut it out of her diet and viola no more! As long as she doesn't drink red Koolaid or punches she is okay. She can still eat red candy and such. Sure sounds like you should start eliminating one thing for a few days and then try another and see if it helps. (08/03/2007)

By Kathy

Toddler With Diarrhea

Do all the above and also take a look at the gums. I'd bet he is teething, too. That can also be a cause of the diarrhea. With it being this long, odds are it might be more than one reason. Keep the Pedialyte going, but most of all don't ignore it and don't depend on just the opinion of one doctor. Last, keep a food diary, notate when he gets ill or has a full diaper and see if there is a pattern you can detect.

Best of luck. The hardest job on the planet is being a mom. (08/03/2007)

By Ginger

Toddler With Diarrhea

Please make an appointment with an allergist, not just your regular pediatrician. Diarrhea can be caused by food allergies, especially a milk allergy. As an adult with a serious food allergy, I can attest to the fact that early recognition can make a world of difference. If other likely causes have already been investigated, a food allergy is a very likely cause for what you describe.

An allergist may do skin and/or blood tests to check for immune responses, but the primary test will probably involve eliminating common allergens from your son's diet (and yours, if you're still nursing at all) until you find what's causing the problem. For example, you may eliminate dairy products for a month, eggs for a month, etc. Or, since your child is still very young, you may be able to eliminate all the common allergens at once, reintroducing them one at a time, which gives you a better picture than the other way, because some people have multiple allergies, and which provides information and relief faster.

An ER doc's job is basically to stabilize and refer. So, if you go to the ER, they're probably going to give your son some electrolytes and make sure he's hydrated, then tell you to follow up with your pediatrician. The ER's job is not to provide the kind of research, guidance, and involved diagnosis you need. Instead, get your pediatrician to refer you (if your insurance requires referrals) to an allergist, and perhaps to a gastroenterologist as well. These kinds of doctors will be better able to investigate and discover the causes of your son's problem.

Don't worry about offending your pediatrician, by the way. Your general pediatrician's primary job is to treat the ordinary issues that accompany childhood, provide regular checkups and evaluations, and make sure you get to see the appropriate specialists for anything that isn't readily treated in the pediatrician's office. An allergist and gastroenterologist are completely reasonable next steps in your case.
(08/04/2007)

By sterghe

Toddler With Diarrhea

Think B.R.A.T. diet: bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast. Also, look at the fiber content on the breads and cereals. Increasing his fiber content might help. Make sure his electrolytes don't deplete, keep pushing the Pedialyte. Also, see another pediatrician! Your child's health is more important than offending the doctor. (08/04/2007)

Toddler With Diarrhea

My son had diarrhea for over a year, what we have learned is that since he was a premature baby there is the possibility that he could not digest everything the way he should. We needed to take away from him some of his favorite foods like chicken nuggets, cheese, anything with oil involved. It did eventually stop and he is fine, but thin now. He's 11 years old now. Good luck and don't stop looking for an answer, your child deserves to feel better! (08/21/2007)

By Judy

Toddler With Diarrhea

If you have pets, you might look into the possibility of intestinal parasites. They cause vomiting and foul smelling diarrhea. (05/19/2008)

By Andrea

Toddler With Diarrhea

Our doctor said no milk until firm bowels for 24 hours. We're trying soy. Also, Triple Paste is a life saver! It is expensive, but worth it. (05/23/2008)

By Kay

Toddler With Diarrhea

Alright, my two children have the same thing. 8 weeks now of diarrhea for two kids. My son is 3 and my daughter is 14 months old. They have done a week of stool tests and countless blood tests all to have everything come back normal. We are set to see the GI doc next week. I located info on toddler diarrhea before finding this site and think I am going to take the advice about the diet given. My kids fit the profile, they consume lots of juice. But both of my kids are still gaining weight and growing normally. So no more juice for now and hopefully it will clear things up. Here is the link for toddler poop that I found most helpful.

drhull.com

Hope this helps someone. (06/12/2008)

By Denise

RE: Toddler With Diarrhea

Toddler With Diarrhea

If your child has a bad rash, make sure you are using alcohol free wipes, or just use tissue with Vaseline on it. If your wipes have alcohol in them it is going to burn the rash and hurt bad. (07/04/2008)

By Jill R

Toddler With Diarrhea

I know this post was 3 years ago, but I'm so glad to hear other parents talk about "toddler bowel syndrome". My son will randomly get bouts of diarrhea for two or three days. The poop is bright yellow, smells awful, and is so acidic it will make his butt bleed. This most recent bout ran down his legs and has caused a small rash on the back of his legs.

Diarrhrea: I realized that any time he ate birthday or shower cake then he'd have diarrhea for days. I'm assuming that's caused by the high amount of sugar in the icing. The way that the body breaks down sugar puts more liquid in your stool. We try to watch his sugar intake, give the BRAT diet when needed (bananas, rice, applesauce, toast), and watch his diet. The BRAT diet consists of foods that are bland and low in fiber. He loves cheese and other dairy. If he has too much then he gets constipated and just one or two days without a bowel movement will result in a bout of horrible diarrhea of 6-7 very acidic poops a day.

Diaper rash: Because his skin is also so sensitive, he's had many diaper rashes with or without diarrhea. After trying nearly every diaper rash cream on the market, we found that 100% Vaseline works better than anything else. It provides a protection between his skin and the poo without adding chemicals such as zinc oxide to the mix. Ive come to the conclusion he's allergic to zinc because all creams make it worse. He had a second degree bleeding burn from the time he was one week to 6 weeks old.

Also, plain cornstarch (very cheap) or baby powder with cornstarch helps to soak up that liquid (poop or urine) as soon as it comes out. My sons butt was bleeding from an almost 5 week long diaper rash until the first time I used cornstarch. After two changes, his butt was 50% better. I put this on my son at every diaper change until he was one and a half.

Also, my doctor suggested Huggies Supreme or cloth diapers for awhile until the diaper rash heals because they also will soak up the liquid. Now that he's in pull-ups we use Pampers Night-time Extra Absorbency pull-ups.

I know that having a little one with a hurting belly and butt can be heart breaking. I hope my post helps other parents (and their babies' butts)! (02/07/2010)

By Todd Mom