Remedies for a Puppy With Diarrhea

Category Health
Diarrhea can be a very serious condition for your puppy. It needs prompt attention to protect your pet's health. This is a guide about remedies for a puppy with diarrhea.

When giving Pepto Bismol for diarrhea in puppies do you give a dose each time they have diarrhea? The bottle says for humans to give a dose at onset and a dose each time you have diarrhea after that. I'm just checking. Thanks.

By Joseph Crews from GA

Answers

I found this when I looked it up:
http://www.veti  epto-bismol.html

Diarrhea is a symptom of Parvo so be careful. I would take it to the vet to have it tested and, if needed, treated. The longer you wait, the harder it is to treat. It can also be worms, which needs to be tested for and treated. You can often do more harm than good home treating an animal without knowing what you are doing.

I would first make a vet appt, and then start feeding it canned pumpkin, which helps with both constipation and diarrhea problems.

Blessings,
Robyn

Please go to the vet asap. this is an emergency

The person you should be talking to is a Veterinarian.

Yesterday my puppy of 8 weeks had thrown up everywhere and had diarrhea (yellow, watery), as well. She did not want to eat and was really tired. She also was on pain medication and some medication for worms. I called the vet immediately and they told me to bring her in as quick as possible.

The vet tested for parvo and it came back negative. I also had her on a barf diet (raw food) which I had my previous dog on it as well and she loved it and was really healthy. I had started my puppy with some raw chicken wings and she ate them perfectly fine. The vet told me to begin with raw when she is older because she is so young.

Though the test was negative for parvo the vet said there is a big chance of her having parvo. I had a blood count done, the results being mild and some fluids run into her. We left her at the vet for a bit and when we returned to pick her up the vet was worried because she was really depressed and still had diarrhea.

We brought home some fluids (a home kit) to keep fluids inside her system. As soon as we were home she was happy and wanted to play. She can drink water on her own and we gave her tiny amounts of boiled chicken with no skin and some rice (no flavorings to both). She ate it all. She still has diarrhea, but she is active. We are giving her some Pedialyte and water at all times. She has a bit of a runny nose and a little bit of sneezing. I was wondering whether the raw food was too early to give her or she has a cold of some sort. Or maybe the full effects of parvo have not hit. The vet also said there could be a chance of having distemper. Please help.

Answers

Have the vet clarify for you what he thinks is going on. If you don't feel your baby is getting good care, seek a second opinion on what is happening. A good vet is the key to keeping your pup on the right track...right treatment for the right situation.

If things get worse, take the pup to an emergency hospital ASAP. Ask for a payment plan or sliding scale if you can't afford it. Keep us posted on the pup. Sending up healing thoughts and prayers!

Diarrhea is a symptom, not a disease. There can be many causes. You need to contact the vet.

You will need to stay in touch with your Vet as your puppies symptoms change. Distemper is very dangerous and needs to be treated aggressively asap. If your dogs symptoms change again, call your Vet again. You will most likely have to take your dog in again. Both parvo and distemper are very aggressive and need to be treated quickly if you want to save your baby.

Update: The possibility for distemper has increased. She now has eye discharge (yellow/ green looking). Still has a runny nose, sneezing and yesterday night she began to cough and still has diarrhea. She is still playing and eating (but not as excited as before when food would be brought to her) and drinking water and chicken broth. This morning as soon as possible we brought her in and a nurse examined her they said that she still active and that's a good sign, but the nurse also seems to believe that distemper is a possibility.

Around 2:10 today we have an appointment with the doctor to check her out and see whats going on. I have read a lot of articles of distemper and honestly, it is scary to think that my baby is/might be going through that. I have also watched videos and it was just so sad. I really don't want my baby to suffer in any way. Many scientific article state that puppies have an 80% of death, that's really high. And I don't know if I can put her through all of that. Shes rather young as well (8 weeks old and only weighs around 4 and 1/2 pounds ) which also plays a role.

Prayers continue! Surround the pup with positive thoughts and be sure to follow the vet instructions to a "T". Keeping the faith that the pup will make a full and complete recovery!

I have a 6-7 week old puppy, Lab X. She has really bad diarrhea. I have been giving her puppy dry food and a small splash of lactose free milk for breakfast, dry biscuits - a small hand full for lunch, and a tablespoon of wet food for dinner and another small hand full of biscuits for night time supper.

I have cut her back to just dry biscuits and water at the moment, to start the process of elimination. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Answers

Take to the vet. A puppy of that age can dehydrate and die quickly. Most are not even weaned at that age, and should not be taking regular food yet

You should not be introducing any food until the puppy has no episodes of diarrhea or vomiting for 24 hours.

This could be a milder case of parvo or distemper.
It could also be just a case of not being mature enough to digest kibble yet. Most kibbles have many grain fillers like corn and soy. So do biscuits. Puppies' digestive systems are delicate and they sometimes reject food with too many allergens at this stage.

Puppy With Diarrhea

I have 2 mixed breed puppies; they are 3 months old. One has diarrhea and the other doesn't. They do not have worms and they are playful. They both eat and drink just fine. Is there anything I can give the puppy to stop the diarrhea? I have tried rice, but it does not work.

By Jennifer from PA

Answers:

Puppy With Diarrhea

Make sure he eats puppy food and deworm him. I bet he will be good as new in no time. (10/19/2009)

By Johnny C.

Puppy With Diarrhea

Take him to the doctor. It can be very dangerous when little animals get diarrhea. (10/20/2009)

By Michawn

Puppy With Diarrhea

Both puppies should be seen by a vet, especially the one with diarrhea. (10/20/2009)

By Maryeileen

Puppy With Diarrhea

I go and get a bottle of Kaopectate (feedstore) and it works great, it is cheap and has no side effects. He might be allergic to rice, too. I have a dog that is and she gets it if I give her some. If everything else fails, use Imodium ID. It works! (10/20/2009)

By Margit

Puppy With Diarrhea

The vet told me once that Pepto Bismol is safe for dogs. Just be careful if you give them too much, it will constipate them. I give my 10 lb dog an eye drop full every time she has "an episode" (diarrhea or vomiting), it works. (10/21/2009)

By Tina

Puppy With Diarrhea

Cottage cheese, that is what my vet had me feed my Great Dane when he had diarrhea. After the diarrhea stops only give him rice and boiled skinless chicken for 2 days so his digestive system can get back to normal. If the cottage cheese does not stop the diarrhea within 24 hours, take him to the vet; because it is something serious. (10/21/2009)

By Ginger Yazak

My puppy is now 3 months old, and for the last 3-4 days he has had loose stools and I am getting worried about him. He is still eating and drinking, but it doesn't seem to be getting better. I have changed his food to dog food not puppy food. What do you think it could be?

By elisha from Rochdale

Answers:

Puppy With Diarrhea

Some dogs have very sensitive tummies. Did puppy get any
thing like say a piece of chicken? Gives my big galoot loose bowels. Is he able to get into garbage, or find food on a plate on the floor, say a child might have left?

Has it had all it's shots? (08/25/2009)

By PENNY K

Puppy With Diarrhea

If you have changed his dog food then that alone can be the reason for the diarrhea. Gradually wean the dog on new food change by mixing with the old. This will help your dog's system make the adjustment and will be easier on him. (08/25/2009)

By Myrna

Puppy With Diarrhea

Not sure why you changed from puppy food to dog food, but your dog is a puppy. Puppy food is very important for puppies because it has ingredients in it to help puppies grow healthy such as extra calories which puppies need for development. So you might want to slowly switch back to the puppy food and then leave the pup on it until around 1 year then adult food. Best of luck. (08/26/2009)

By Terri

Puppy With Diarrhea

If you have not wormed your puppy that is probably the reason. Puppies are born with worms, which they ingest through the mother's milk. You need to worm three times, two weeks apart to rid them of the parasites. Then you need to keep it up once a month. Ask whoever you got the puppy from whether they already did the initial worming treatments.

You can do a fecal test very inexpensively at the vet's to determine the type of worms you are dealing with and use the wormer that they recommend (either buy it from them or from 1800 Pet-Meds or similar). Never use grocery store wormers as the can do your pet a lot of damage.
(09/01/2009)

By Alice von Simson

I recently, 1/25/08, adopted another poodle which just happened to be the brother of the one I own. Max came from an elderly woman who couldn't handle the wants and needs of a puppy. Both are approx 9 months old, my problem is Max, the one I just adopted, has a bout of diarrhea and a frequent need to urinate.