Removing Hair From a Gold Chain

How do you clean a gold necklace that has hair tangled in it. Gold chains get hair wrapped and twisted around them when you have long hair. Sitting there pulling it out is tedious. Is there a better way, perhaps soaking it in something?

KATHY from Philadelphia, PA

Answers:

Removing Hair From a Gold Chain

Take a lighter or match and burn the hair off. It really stinks, but the hair will be off in no time and if it is 14karat gold, the fire will not affect it. (01/27/2007)

By Kathy

Removing Hair From a Gold Chain

One idea that I have not tried myself is to get some cornstarch, keep it dry and gently twist the necklace in the cornstarch, I may be wrong but I think I have heard about this idea, to get kinks out of chains and jewelry. Another idea, is to use regular toothpaste and a soft brush or cloth, it will clean the jewelry and should take the hair away as well.

I am not sure how to prevent the problem, but if you think the necklace is rough in any way and catching your hair, you could take clear nail polish, tack it on a hook as you apply the clear polish and it should smooth out rough spots.The clear polish is also one way a person can wear earrings that are not expensive, just put the clear polish on the posts. I have seen a similar product at a jewelry counter at a store. (01/29/2007)

By Kersti

Removing Hair From a Gold Chain

Take a single edge razor blade and scrape it against the chain. It will cut the hair into tiny pieces that you will be able to pull off easily (03/09/2007)

Removing Hair From a Gold Chain

Wow. The cornstarch idea works. It takes a small amount of elbow grease to rub the hair out after the necklace is covered, but it is nothing compared to the time I have spent trying to pull it out with safety pins, etc. Thank you.

As for the match idea, be very careful with this. I have a Tiffany silver necklace that I tried this on (on the recommendation of a Tiffany staff person) and I ended up burning the chain (it actually caught on fire). I was finally able to clean it with silver polish. Go with the cornstarch. (03/23/2007)

By Kate

Removing Hair From a Gold Chain

Thank you. I got out the lighter, and in just a few minutes all that twisted hair was gone from my favorite chain. You are brilliant. I had tried everything. (04/04/2007)

By Gi-Gi

Removing Hair From a Gold Chain

I have always used a lighter to remove hair from my gold chains. Today though, the necklace briefly caught fire and is now blackened in some spots. It is 18k gold and I can not seem to get it clean. Be very careful with this approach. (09/21/2007)

By Kristine

Removing Hair From a Gold Chain

Try using a hair removal product i.e. Nair. Just soak the chain for about 5 minutes and the hair will dissolve. (03/23/2008)

By Francesca

I have the soulutiln I literally took a razor and shaved it cause it was so badly tangled

A gold chain.
Removing Tangled Hair from Jewelry
Woman holding a dog in arms.
Removing Pet Hair from Clothing
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
A shiny pile of gold chains, rings and other jewelry
Cleaning Gold Jewelry
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
🎉
🎄