Removing Hard Water Deposits from Glassware

The minerals in your water supply can leave hard water spots on your glasses. This is a guide about removing hard water deposits from glassware.

July 26, 2007 Flag

How do you get rid of hard water or mineral stains on glassware?

Gale from Vergas, MN

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Hi Gayle, Simple vinegar is what I use as we have such horrible water here in Greece. I fill a bucket or large container with water, add vinegar and leave overnight. You can also use hot water and it will work faster. I use vinegar in my electric hot water pot every week as well as in stainless steel pots and pans. I love vinegar and use it quite a lot around the house. I also squirt it on my balcony tiles to keep the ants away from the house!! Hope this helps.

If these are from washing in the dishwasher, add a cup of vinegar to the rinse cycle every time you wash the dishes. This helps to keep them shiny with some types of hard water. You should be able to remove the mineral build up with vinegar, or if that doesn't seem to work, use CLR, which is a stronger acid. Don't use the CLR in the dishwasher, though.

Use Lemi Shine! You just add it to your detergent and run the dishwasher as usual. I live in a VERY hard water area and I can tell you that it is the ONLY thing that works.

June 22, 2010 Flag

How do I get calcium deposits off my beer and wine glasses?

By Elsie

Vinegar will remove hard water deposits.

June 22, 2010 Flag

How do I remove hard water deposits from stemware?

By andyandotcanup from Independence, MO

Answers:

Remove Hard Water Deposits from Stemware

Put a few inches of water in a large bowl or kitchen sink. Add a few inches of distilled vinegar. Soak glasses for 10 minutes, remove, rinse immediately, then dry. If spots are not gone, you will know right away. In this case, place them back in water/vinegar a bit longer and repeat the ending steps, drying completely. This should help. (08/23/2009)

By dashman2002

I would use straight vinegar, or even CLR. CLR and vinegar do not hurt glass. I am not sure about lead crystal, so if these are very expensive crystal stemware, you might try googling for some cleaning info about that. However, I suspect if it is not, then vinegar or CLR will do the trick.

If this is a deposit that forms when they are in the dishwasher, you can pour a cup or so of vinegar in the last rinse load, and that should help prevent the problem. I had to do that in one house we lived in that had very hard water. (08/23/2009)

By louel53

Ahh, the hard water in Missouri! Well, I use distilled vinegar in the rinse-aid dispenser in the dishwasher and this prevents those stains. Try mixing a bit of baking soda and distilled vinegar to remove those spots. (08/29/2009)

By meoowmom

August 20, 2009 Flag

How do you remove hard water deposits from stemware?

Marilyn from Shell Knob, MO

Answers:

Remove Hard Water Deposits From Stemware

Try a paper towel and white vinegar. The vinegar smell will dissipate as it dries.

Good Luck!
Rebekah (11/01/2005)

By Madelynnsmama

Easier still; fill the glass to above the mark with plain vinegar, let stand overnight. If the mark hasn't dissolved fully, give it another day. I bought a gorgeous crystal vase at a thrift store for about 4 dollars that had a similar stain, overnight and the mark was gone! (11/01/2005)

Even easier, just fill the sink with water, pour in a glug of vinegar (maybe a quart or less?), put in the glassware and let it soak a bit. Then just wipe the scum off. We have incredibly hard water and I clean the film off our glasses every few months (well, maybe more often if company is coming and I want to impress them). (11/01/2005)

By Mary

First, I found that the dishwasher leaves a lot of hard water spots so I now wash all my glassware by hand.
When I do find hard water spots, I use Lime-Away in a spray bottle. A very small amount sprayed on the spot usually does a pretty good job. (11/02/2005)

By Doris

Fill the stemmed piece with vinegar diluted with a little water and let stand about 20 minutes. Wash and dry. (11/02/2005)

By Beth

I have hard water as well, when my dishwasher is on the rinse cycle I pour a little vinegar in it and I have no hard water spots. A lot easier than washing by hand! (11/04/2005)

By Jennie

Home and Garden Cleaning GlassNovember 17, 2016
Interior of a full dishwasher.
Removing Hard Water Stains Inside Dishwasher
Hard Water Stains
Removing Hard Water Stains
Water Softener
Buying a Water Softener
Water Heater
Removing Calcium Deposits in a Water Heater
🎉
🎄