Cleaning Burnt Food on Glass Cookware

Category Glass
Cleaning burnt on food off of glass cookware, such as Pyrex baking dishes, does require products that will clean but not scratch. This is a guide about cleaning burnt food on glass cookware.

This is a guide about cleaning Pyrex pans. Pyrex pans are a popular cooking option. Following a few simple steps you can keep them clean and clear for years to come.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Does anybody know how to easily remove baked on stains from my clear Pyrex bake ware? I soak and scrub to no avail. We have well water, so I prefer solutions that work with that. Thanks - all replies appreciated!

Cathy from Delaware

Answers

Best Answer

Most burnt food will come off with some effort,
But once in awhile you get a really bad scoured in burn
that nothing works for it! NOTHING!
Threw a few out over the years until one I threw out, Or so I thought I did, A month later I came across it, it had totally dried out and the burn lifted, Just easily scraped away, Pan was like new, Wetting it only made it worse, So now when I have a pan that I just give up on, I Stuff it away somewhere and forget about it for a few weeks to a month, It has never failed me yet. Burned is always lifted, if you monitor it you'll notice once it's completely dried, it will slowly start lifting, to be easily scraped away

Best Answer

I am always recommending BarKeepers Friend but honestly, it really works for just about anything. Just wet it, sprinkle it on and wait a few minutes. I use a sponge with that nylon backing and it works wonders.

By marih820 (Guest Post)
Best Answer

If you will put a fabric softener sheet in your dish with some water and let it soak, every bit of the burned residue will wash out with very little rubbing. I have used this method on dishes and pots and pans and every time they have come clean. If it is really badly burned, let it soak over night.

Best Answer

If you have a self-cleaning oven, it will get the brownest dish totally white with a little ash to blow away.

By Chayil (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Soak the gunk in vinegar, scrub a little, and dump out (but don't rinse). Then soak in a baking soda paste, scrub a little, and dump out (but don't rinse). Keep doing that until the gunk is gone.

This works because both products will occasionally work on their own. But also, when switching back and forth without rinsing between the two, they interact in a chemical reaction that produces salt, water, and heat. This is almost always enough to get rid of any gunk.

If the gunk is cooked-on grease or oil, try Dawn Power Degreaser, but only if the above doesn't work. It's a good product in terms of effectiveness, but I'm sure we'd all prefer a less expensive and less chemically harsh solution.

How do you clean baked on food on a Pyrex casserole dish? I have tried the Oxy foam cleanser, Dawn Power Grease remover to no avail. It has settled into the glass.

Dragonfly from Indiana

Answers:

How do you clean baked on food on a pyrex casserole dish?

Try a Mr. Clean eraser. I use them all the time on my glass baking ware and it works great! I like my glass baking ware to stay clean and shiny like new and this does the job without a lot of work.
Hope this helps. (10/20/2006)

By Cheryl

I find if you soak with really hot water and dishwasher soap it will come right off. Also use this method to get off coffee and tea stains in the pots. (10/20/2006)

By MsBlue

I use steel wool pads with soap in them, or even those copper pot scrubbers. Unless your glass pans are coated with some kind of color (instead of being colored glass) there shouldn't be a problem. (10/20/2006)

By carla

My suggestion is to soak first, then with a scrub brush use Bon-Ami cleanser (it doesn't scratch). If you can find Bon-Ami at the store, it works great. It's sold at most big grocery stores. There is no bleach in it, it's just a good old fashioned scrubber for all your cookery. (10/20/2006)

By Mary

I use S.O.S. Pads. Works great! (10/20/2006)

By Ariela

Ketchup is cheap and really works. Just cover the cooked on crud and let it sit. I can't tell you how long to let it sit, by the time I get back to mine it's been at least an hour. May have to repeat, it's worth a try. Probably something you already have on hand. (10/20/2006)

By ellen

If you fill your dish with really hot water and a Bounce Sheet and leave it to set over night, it will wipe right out. I have used this method for the worst burnt on stuff imagined and it has come off. Good Luck! (10/20/2006)

By Heather

Soak it in baking soda. Always comes clean, then wash as always. (10/20/2006)

By eve. c

I have a lot of success with boiling water. I boil it in an electric hot pot, then carry it to whatever needs cleaning and pour it on the stain. Also works great on food spills on vinyl flooring. Just be careful that whatever surface you use it on can take the heat. Pyrex should be fine. Good luck. (10/21/2006)

By Christine Schuyler

A Mr. Clean Magic Eraser has worked for me. (10/21/2006)

By Debbie Dzurilla

Lots of ventilation and a single squirt of Easy Off oven cleaner works every time (except on aluminum, copper, iron, Teflon) on most dry glass or stainless metal unpainted surfaces to clean off baked-on foods. If very hard, black, thick food, leave on overnight and outside. If light food, leave only about 15 min. to one hour, and that should do it. Although we all avoid using
that chemical, if good ventilation is used, you will not die if you spray the item on the patio/porch on newspaper away from the door or pets, then time the food burn accordingly.

After a few minutes there is no odor or breathing danger from the fumes, and there is a low odor
low fume option in the brand, but it takes much longer to work. Do wash with cold water should you accidentally get any spray on your skin. Spray only the spot(s) at about 6-8", and when there is obviously no wind, just as when painting. Use vinegar to rinse off skin after cold water/soap should any drift. I use gloves and have never had a single accident externally or internally in 53 years of very infrequent use of Easy Off, and only for the tough food burns.

All cooks have burned pots/pans occasionally, not wanting to cook in the utensil until it is removed, so we need serious help once in a while, just not making it a habit. We can use caution as if using a match to light a candle or using alcohol indoors. God bless and give you wisdom.
(10/21/2006)

By Lynda

Chore Boy Golden Fleece scrubbing cloths. They work great and don't scratch. (10/22/2006)

By Patty Zion

How do you clean baked on food on a pyrex casserole dish

Put salt in, then water, and let it sit over night. This works great. (10/22/2006)

By Becky

How can I clean the burnt food off a glass cookware?

DJ from stockton, CA

Answers:

Burnt Food on Glass Cookware

There are 2 sure fire ways of doing this. If it isn't "too" baked on, you can soak in a good quality dish soap/water overnight and then use an SOS pad carefully (glass has a coating on it too). If that doesn't work, spray an oven cleaner on it and leave for a couple hours. If you haven't used oven cleaner before, be sure to wear gloves or wash your hands immediately afterwards because the cleaner will eat at your skin! Good Luck and happy cleaning. :o) (11/06/2006)

By Lorrie T

Burnt Food on Glass Cookware

Try detergent for dishwashers (machines). Coat the burned on area w/ the detergent (gel or make a paste w/ the powder). Allow to 'set' overnight. Gently scrub down in layers so as to not damage the glass cookware. Repeat if necessary. (11/06/2006)

By kidsNclutter

Burnt Food on Glass Cookware

Burnt Food in Pots and Pans:
Sprinkle pans liberally with baking soda, adding just enough water to moisten. Let stand for several hours. You can generally lift the burnt food right out of the pan. This was from the Queen of Clean website, don't know if it will work on glass cookware, don't see why not. (11/06/2006)

By kidsNclutter

Burnt Food on Glass Cookware

Arm & Hammer Washing Soda, sold in laundry aisle at the supermarket. Cheap, non-toxic, cleans EVERYTHING. Wear gloves though. It will dry out your hands like crazy. (11/07/2006)

By Mary

Burnt Food on Glass Cookware

I have also tried steel wool it actually worked (11/14/2006)

By Brenda