Burnt Food on Glass Cookware

Does anybody know how to easily remove baked on stains from my clear Pyrex bake ware? I soak and scrub to no avail. We have well water, so I prefer solutions that work with that. Thanks - all replies appreciated!

Cathy from Delaware

Best Answer

Most burnt food will come off with some effort,
But once in awhile you get a really bad scoured in burn
that nothing works for it! NOTHING!
Threw a few out over the years until one I threw out, Or so I thought I did, A month later I came across it, it had totally dried out and the burn lifted, Just easily scraped away, Pan was like new, Wetting it only made it worse, So now when I have a pan that I just give up on, I Stuff it away somewhere and forget about it for a few weeks to a month, It has never failed me yet. Burned is always lifted, if you monitor it you'll notice once it's completely dried, it will slowly start lifting, to be easily scraped away

Best Answer

I am always recommending BarKeepers Friend but honestly, it really works for just about anything. Just wet it, sprinkle it on and wait a few minutes. I use a sponge with that nylon backing and it works wonders.

Best Answer

If you will put a fabric softener sheet in your dish with some water and let it soak, every bit of the burned residue will wash out with very little rubbing. I have used this method on dishes and pots and pans and every time they have come clean. If it is really badly burned, let it soak over night.

Best Answer

If you have a self-cleaning oven, it will get the brownest dish totally white with a little ash to blow away.

Best Answer

Soak the gunk in vinegar, scrub a little, and dump out (but don't rinse). Then soak in a baking soda paste, scrub a little, and dump out (but don't rinse). Keep doing that until the gunk is gone.

This works because both products will occasionally work on their own. But also, when switching back and forth without rinsing between the two, they interact in a chemical reaction that produces salt, water, and heat. This is almost always enough to get rid of any gunk.

If the gunk is cooked-on grease or oil, try Dawn Power Degreaser, but only if the above doesn't work. It's a good product in terms of effectiveness, but I'm sure we'd all prefer a less expensive and less chemically harsh solution.

Oven cleaner.

I use dishwasher soap for soaking but I heard a new idea lately...put a dryer sheet in the soak water! I've heard the "gunk" comes right out!

Use an arm and hammer magic eraser.. they are amazing and will take care of anything. Just wipe VERY lightly as this is an abrasive... be sure to stop as soon as the food is off. =)

User a razor blade to scrap off the heavy stuff then clean with a special glass top cleaner called Cerama Bryte. Wipe on and then wipe off with a soft cloth. The product is sold at Home Depot and Lowes or call 1-800-578-HOME. I clean my glass top stove all the time this way and it looks great.

I have used new dryer softener sheets to clean mine before and it worked. Place cookware in a sink, run enough hot water to cover. Place a new dryer sheet in the water and swish it around a time or two. Leave in over night.

I"ve always used Comet cleanser to scour pyrex baking dishes. But I had a problem and my friend told me to try regular old baking soda to scour with. She told me that sometimes baking soda works better than scouring powder. I couldnt believe it, but she was right!

Barkeeper's Friend works well. It's like Comet, but works better for that purpose.