Cleaning Pyrex Pans

Category Dishes
Pyrex pans are a popular cooking option. Following a few simple steps you can keep them clean and clear for years to come. This is a guide about cleaning Pyrex pans.

Do you have crusted stuff you want off the bottom of a Pyrex pan? Just fill it halfway full of water, put in about 1/4 cup baking soda, let come to a boil on the stove. Turn it off, forget about it for about 2 hours. Go back, and voila, it's clean!

Cathy in Wilmington, NC

I own several Pyrex, glass measuring cups that will not come clean. They all have a film on them. I have tried scouring by hand and running in the dishwasher. I have tried bleaching them, letting them sit overnight in various soaps and bleach, etc., but no luck. I specified they are made of glass, because I'm not sure if Pyrex makes only glass products.

I thank you for your help.

Mary

By collinsmom from NJ

Answers

Have you tried soaking them in straight white vinegar? If the film is hard water, the vinegar will take it off if soaked overnight. Learned this from my grandma--a total vinegar cheerleader!

I agree with the straight vinegar soak. However, if that doesn't remove the film, it's likely that the glass has been etched and nothing will remove that. Good luck.

Have you got a water softner? Years ago I remember talking to a lady and she asked if we had a water softener. She said something about the salt from the softner etches the dishes. We don't have a softenr anymore and my new measuring cups are fine.

How do you remove burned food from Pyrex? It is a sugary glaze that burned on to the Pyrex.

By gmadrum from Turlock, CA

Answers

Hot soapy water with a splash of bleach- let it soak and then scrub with an SOS pad - that ought to take care of it.

I agree with Jules -- use hot water (with a bit of dishwashing detergent) and let it soak for quite a while. I use the old fashioned green Scotch Brite pads instead of SOS. I've poured boiling water on some yucky cooked-on greasy spots, and that seemed to help. Even with the soaking, it may take a bit of elbow grease!

If the stain is in instead of on the glass, then you may be stuck with it.

I find that the easist way to clean baked on food is to use a dryer sheet and hot water. I let the dish soak with the softener sheet while I do the rest of the dishes. It usually comes clean without alot of effort.

"Barkeepers Friend", at any grocery store, near the Comet and Ajax cleansers. Works Great! Good Luck

Hot water, some dish soap & baking soda. Let of soak for a little while, add a little vhite vinegar, let sit another 10 min. Put a little x-tra baking soda on your sponge when cleaning, if needed.

Anonymous

Pretty much the same as other posters. I always simply fill with super hot water and some dish soap, soak overnight and then use a Scotch Bright pad. Rarely does it ever take any sort of elbow grease to get it all off on the first try ;-)

Soak it with automatic dishwasher detergent and water. That stuff dissolves everything. Before I had a dishwasher I always kept a small box on hand for such purposes.

My mother in-law worked in restaurant where they soaked pot and pans with baked on food using spic n span. Just sprinkle it on then add a little water to cover it and let it set.