Cleaning Burned Caramel from a Pan

Category Dishes
Making candy or caramel can easily result in some burned sugar in the bottom of your pan. Cleaning burned caramel from a pan can be a bit of a challenge.

While making caramel corn, I burned the bottom of my saucepan while making the syrup. I used hot water and Dawn to remove it. Put water and soap in the pan and boil on the stove for 10 minutes. The burned stuff came right off.

By Pam from Milwaukee, WI

Top Comment

I do the boiling to clean the custard cups when I make flan for the family.

We have no baking soda or bicarb either. How else can we remove burned caramel from a pan?

By Becca

Answers

Best Answer

I left a pan of sugar water boiling to make hummingbird food - It boiled dry - what a mess and the smoke was horrible. My husband found the answer - boil peroxide in the pan!

Just bring it to a boil, cover and turn off the heat. Let it set until cool and just use a paper towel to wipe away the black crust! I was amazed!