Removing Mold from Shower Walls

When we moved into this house, the shower tiles had a lime buildup and mold. Each time I clean with a bleach cleaner, the tiles turn orange/brown which is then very difficult to remove. This doesn't happen in other areas where there is no build up. How can I clean the shower without this happening and kill the mold, too?

By Rhonda

If you have lime buildup then you need to use an acid cleaner to get rid of it. Probably full strength vinegar will do the trick, but if it doesn't, try CLR. That should also take care of the mold. If it doesn't, you can also use bleach on another occasion. Do not use these products together.

Don't use bleach. I know it's been used for decades in the belief it got rid of mold. Recent studies have shown all it does is 'bleach' the mold to white/clear. The spores are still alive therefore it will come back. Consider using full strength vinegar sprayed on to get rid of the calcium buildup.

If the mold is on the putty around the enclosure, take it off and put new putty on. If it's on a curtain, of course, replace it. I spray vinegar on the entire enclosure after each use of the tub/shower. I no longer have a problem with either buildup nor mold.