Removing Moss Growing on Bricks

Category Home Safety
A walkway with moss growing between the bricks.
This is a guide about removing moss growing on bricks. Moss can make brick paths and driveways very slippery. They need to be cleaned for safety.

I am looking for ideas on how to clean moss and mold off an outdoor paved area. They are clay and every winter they get mossy. It is a back-breaking job to scrub them clean.

Kat from Australia

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Answers

Best Answer

Try renting a powerwasher. It uses just plain water from your hose so it's safe and gets the job done with minimal effort.

I unfortunately am stuck with a brick pathway that goes some distance around and about my backyard. It gets covered in what I presume is a moss or mossy substance, making the walkway slick and dangerous. Can anyone provide a way to keep the moss from growing on the bricks, short of a blowtorch? I'm worried about slipping down myself, and certainly if I have guests or even the bug guy walking around.

Thanks!
Tripleb from Greenville, AL

Answers:

Moss Growing on Bricks

I read somewhere in the past that you can kill the moss w/a solution of bleach water. That is not much information. But you might try that. (03/06/2006)

By COOKIEPOM

Moss Growing on Bricks

We use a power water sprayer or a steamer to clean the bricks. If you only have a garage broom, use bleach and elbow grease.

Check with your paint store for the appropriate cover for this brick. (03/06/2006)

By the Oracle

Moss Growing on Bricks

I had the same problem on my front steps. I was also afraid that I would fall because the green moss makes the bricks very slick especially after a rain. I read on the net about pouring bleach water on the moss and BOOM! It worked great. The moss was gone and after a year hasn't returned. I am not sure what the measurements were but you can research it out and see. It does work, I promise! (03/06/2006)

By Connie A.

Moss Growing on Bricks

I've read that too, a bleach solution should do the trick. (03/06/2006)

By kris474

Moss Growing on Bricks

I would try boiling water. Also a good dose of salt. Good luck. (03/06/2006)

By Kinga