Removing Moss Growing on Bricks

Category Home Safety
This is a guide about removing moss growing on bricks. Moss can make brick paths and driveways very slippery. They need to be cleaned for safety.

I am looking for ideas on how to clean moss and mold off an outdoor paved area. They are clay and every winter they get mossy. It is a back-breaking job to scrub them clean.

Kat from Australia

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

Try renting a powerwasher. It uses just plain water from your hose so it's safe and gets the job done with minimal effort.

30 second outdoor cleaner. They sell it at Home depot and hardware stores it works like a charm!

Use copper sulphate sold as Bluestone at your garden supplies.Cheap and effective.

Go to the Dollar Tree or any other places to by cheap laundry detergent. Sprinkle it liberally on the moss and mold, and in three to five days, it will start to turn brown. At that point, you can brush it off with a stiff push broom or a strong spray nozzle. I have done this for years, and it works. Also good for soaking up oil spills in garages, and smells better than cat litter.

Bleach is your best option . I pour straight bleach on mine , let it stand for at least 30 mins. and lightly rinse down. The run off won't harm plants that are close. Salt will KILL plants (I killed a 40 yr. old bush with salt water).

Yes, definitely a power washer. It's more ENVIRONMENTAL, uses only your house water, you decide amount of pressure and at the same time it cleans the brick or stone, whichever stuff you have moss growing on/in. You can rent power washers, or ask a neighbor. Heck, he may even come over to show you how to use it, and have him clean it all while he's at it, if he has the time. It's worth the try! DEFINITELY A POWER WASHER! EARTH FRIENDLY! Oh before I forget again, it does a wonderful clean up on any grill! Gas, electric, charcoal. Almost as good as new when done. Anyone that doesn't have a Power Washer, should buy one. They are cheap enough now to afford one.

Thankyou to everyone for the great tips. I will try them out on the weekend!

I unfortunately am stuck with a brick pathway that goes some distance around and about my backyard. It gets covered in what I presume is a moss or mossy substance, making the walkway slick and dangerous. Can anyone provide a way to keep the moss from growing on the bricks, short of a blowtorch? I'm worried about slipping down myself, and certainly if I have guests or even the bug guy walking around.

Thanks!
Tripleb from Greenville, AL

Answers:

Moss Growing on Bricks

I read somewhere in the past that you can kill the moss w/a solution of bleach water. That is not much information. But you might try that. (03/06/2006)

By COOKIEPOM

Moss Growing on Bricks

We use a power water sprayer or a steamer to clean the bricks. If you only have a garage broom, use bleach and elbow grease.

Check with your paint store for the appropriate cover for this brick. (03/06/2006)

By the Oracle

Moss Growing on Bricks

I had the same problem on my front steps. I was also afraid that I would fall because the green moss makes the bricks very slick especially after a rain. I read on the net about pouring bleach water on the moss and BOOM! It worked great. The moss was gone and after a year hasn't returned. I am not sure what the measurements were but you can research it out and see. It does work, I promise! (03/06/2006)

By Connie A.

Moss Growing on Bricks

I've read that too, a bleach solution should do the trick. (03/06/2006)

By kris474

Moss Growing on Bricks

I would try boiling water. Also a good dose of salt. Good luck. (03/06/2006)

By Kinga