Removing Nicotine Stains on Clothing

Nicotine can leave ugly yellow stains on clothing. This is a guide about removing nicotine stains on clothing.

November 21, 2011 Flag

How do I get 15 years of nicotine out of this sweater? My uncle said my aunt wanted me to have it; she passed away 15 years ago. The sweater has been on the top shelf in a closet in the room where my uncle sat, watched TV, and smoked 4 packs a day. Is there any chance of saving my aunt's sweater?

By Debra

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Have you laundered it? Or, taken it to the drycleaners if it is dryclean only? I would try that first.

You don't say what it's made of, what color it is, if it's machine washable, hand wash only, or what. So it's hard to know what to tell you.

As long as it's not a delicate hand washable, or something in a bright color that could run, you might be able to soak it in Boraxo & warm (not hot)water to get it clean. I've never had a problem with Boraxo taking colors out, but you have to decide if you want to take that risk.

March 31, 2012 Flag

How do you get old nicotine stains out of clothes? I smoke in my house and the nicotine has stained some of my clothes I had hanging in my closet for a long time. So the nicotine stains are probably really set in the fabrics. I wanted to know the best thing to try to get the stains out of whites and colors. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

By Renea A

I bought towels like that from goodwill. I soaked them in Biz, cold water overnight, and added detergent also. Then washed as usual. Or try rust remover from Rit cold water.

June 21, 2004 Flag

I would like some kind of way to remove many years of nicotine stain from linen curtains, please help.

Melissa

I have tried Castro heavy duty degreaser. You can find it in a local car parts store.From what I understand nicotine is an oil- grease base. I have washed my husbands work clothes with it many of times. You do not need much of it and do a double rinse. I hope that helps.

Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing StainsNovember 7, 2012
Hand holding a smoking cigarette.
Cleaning Nicotine Stains
Cleaning Blinds
Cleaning Nicotine Stains on Blinds
girl smoking
Removing Nicotine Stains from Linoleum and Vinyl Flooring
Hand holding a smoking cigarette.
Cleaning Nicotine from Wood Furniture
🎉
🎄