Removing Nicotine Stains on Clothing

Nicotine can leave ugly yellow stains on clothing. This is a guide about removing nicotine stains on clothing.

How do you remove nicotine stains from clothing?

By IQD2

I dated & lived with a guy who smoked 2 packs a day in the bedroom..all my whites & colored clothes were ruined..I thought... I bought a big container of Oxy Clean. ( I found name brand worked better in this case during this ordeal) I grabbed a bunch of buckets & the soaking process started. Depending on color & type of fabric I started soaking overnight..then running thru wash with detergent & another scoop of oxygen clean. I swear by this!! Some clothes were orange in spots it was so bad. Even mom was shaking her head saying it was a lost cause before the oxyclean..Well, it saved my entire wardrobe!! Thousands of dollars in clothes!!

How do I remove yellow nicotine stains from white cotton pants?

How do I get 15 years of nicotine out of this sweater? My uncle said my aunt wanted me to have it; she passed away 15 years ago. The sweater has been on the top shelf in a closet in the room where my uncle sat, watched TV, and smoked 4 packs a day. Is there any chance of saving my aunt's sweater?

By Debra

Have you laundered it? Or, taken it to the drycleaners if it is dryclean only? I would try that first.

You don't say what it's made of, what color it is, if it's machine washable, hand wash only, or what. So it's hard to know what to tell you.

As long as it's not a delicate hand washable, or something in a bright color that could run, you might be able to soak it in Boraxo & warm (not hot)water to get it clean. I've never had a problem with Boraxo taking colors out, but you have to decide if you want to take that risk.

I have a white cotton blouse that I tried to get nicotine stains out of. A lot of the stain was removed, but you can still see yellow. Can I dye the blouse black to cover it?

By Michele R

How do you get old nicotine stains out of clothes? I smoke in my house and the nicotine has stained some of my clothes I had hanging in my closet for a long time. So the nicotine stains are probably really set in the fabrics. I wanted to know the best thing to try to get the stains out of whites and colors. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

By Renea A

I bought towels like that from Goodwill. I soaked them in Biz, cold water overnight, and added detergent also. Then washed as usual. Or try rust remover from Rit in cold water.

How do you remove nicotine stains from faux fur white jacket?

Evelyn from Westland, MI

I have found a not so well known cleaner that will take the place of all your other cleaning solutions. I had pet stains on my carpet and nothing would remove them. So I bought this cleaning solution and diluted it, put it in a spray bottle, and the pet stains are gone. I have white and color dress shirts that hung on the hangers for years. I had been a heavy smoker and the shoulders and cuffs were nicotine stained. I sprayed this one the stains and presoaked and then washed as usual. The stains are gone.

I found this solution at Lowes and Home Depot. A gallon of concentrated solution is about $9.00. It's called Greased Lightning. The number of uses for this will eliminate many different cleaning products and can be used for a variety of different stains.

I would like some kind of way to remove many years of nicotine stain from linen curtains, please help.

Melissa

I have tried Castro heavy duty degreaser. You can find it in a local car parts store.From what I understand nicotine is an oil- grease base. I have washed my husbands work clothes with it many of times. You do not need much of it and do a double rinse. I hope that helps.

I am looking for tips for getting nasty nicotine stains from years of cigarette smoke on an old cotton doll dress. The dress is in good condition except for the browning from nicotine. It has, what was once, white cotton lace trim. The dress is supposed to be a pale pink. Thanks so much!

Sandy Joy from Maine

Answers:

Cleaning Nicotine Stains Off Old Doll Dress

I don't know if this will help or not but I used to smoke in the house untill I got married and my wife used 409 the orginial and that just cut the nicotine off the walls. Maybe you can soak it overnight in it but I would call the 800 number on the back B/4 doing something like I suggested. Good Luck (03/29/2005)

By mrmoose71943

You didn't mention how old the doll dress is. I use two products from Twin Pines for cleaning my Vintage Barbie doll clothing. They are Formula 9-1-1 and Perk! and can be ordered online. Do a google search for Twin Pines. They are very gentle and specifically made for this purpose.

You can also try soaking the dress in a denture tablet solution, which I have done with whites, but not with colors.

In any case, do not despair, the dress is not lost to you. :-) (05/20/2005)

By Gail C

You also might try soaking the doll dress in a gallon of water with 2 scoops of OxyClean overnight. This stuff works *wonders* - I've used this method on almost every collectible in my house, and have never had a problem with bleeding colors - test an inconspicuous spot before dunking though, just to be on the safe side. Good luck with it :) (06/02/2005)

By Beaker

I tried the Oxyclean on some white sheers. It removed some of the nicotine stains but not all. I soaked them overnight, then put in the washer on a regular cycle with detergent, more Oxiclean and just a small amount of Clorox.