Removing Old Caulking

The first step in recaulking around fixtures, countertops, and other areas is to remove the existing caulking. This is a guide about removing old caulking.

September 11, 2012 Flag

I needed to remove the old caulking between the backsplash and the counter. I found a really neat tool at Lowe's that made this task very quick and easy! Originally I had tried a razor blade, but without much success. All you do is slide the tool along the surface and it scrapes up the caulking without damaging the surfaces.

There is also a tool that is used to smooth down the bead of caulk that you just applied to replace what you scraped off.

Tool works fine for latex caulk but silicone is another story. Even a tool like this took me forever and didn't get it off in a nice strip, but left lots behind which even with the liquid remover specifically for silicone it did not completely come off!

October 1, 2008 Flag

How do I remove old caulk from a bathtub? I have a tool but the caulk is so hard I can't remove it.

Wanda from Dayton, OH

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Caulk-B-Gone. You can purchase it at Home Depot for under $5 a tube. It is in the same section as the caulk. Squeeze it on the old caulk and let it sit for a short time and it will soften the old hard stuff and make it easy to remove.

Have you tried using your hair dryer to soften it? Good Luck!

If you're a "Penny-pincher" as I am, use a hammer & chisel to remove the hard stuff. Just be careful not to use a lot of muscle when hammering- tap the chisel.

This should remove most of the caulk. Finish by using a putty knife or scraper. Be sure to thoroughly clean the area with alcohol. This removes the 'oily' residue and helps the caulk adhere.

August 26, 2008 Flag

How do I remove caulking from my shower?

NC from CA

There is a remover you can purchase at your local hardware store, goo gone is also an option. In addition they actually make a triangle type scraper that will remove the remainder of the goo.

June 29, 2007 Flag

How do I remove rubberized caulk from chrome faucet?

Cissy from Tulsa, OK

Hi Cissy,

have you tried to carefully cut it away with a razor scrapping tool? That's what my dad (a licensed plumber) does and my son, (a card carrying plumbing apprentice) when they reset my fixtures.

Here's a tip too, bleach products are apparently very bad to use on Chalk sealants. I know because I loved my bleach pen in the bathroom, but it didn't love me, LOL. Both explained (repeatedly) how it should NEVER be used on sealant as they replaced it all cause the bleach made it come off all the places it wasn't supposed to, including the seal around the bottom of the toilet.

Good luck

Home and Garden Home Improvement AdviceNovember 14, 2012
Shelf Scarf from Hankies
Crafts Using Old Handkerchiefs
Old Encyclopedias on Shelf
Finding the Value of Old Reference Books
Old wooden ladder leaning against a concrete wall with painted designs.
Removing Paint from Concrete
Ring of old keys.
Uses for Old Keys