Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

My 2 year old has ink all over her. Her sister left out the black ink gel pen and our dog chewed it up and she attempted to bring it to me and in return got ink all over her. My question is this, does anyone have any suggestions of how to remove this from her skin. I immediately bathed her and all that did was lighten it very little.

Chasity

Answers:

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

I've found that using grape jelly (any kind- my husband's a seller) eliminates the ink instantly. Our printer breaks all the time, I've got two messy children who like to draw on each other with permanent markers, and I work in an office. A little jar of jelly does the trick like nothing can! (04/12/2006)

By Lynds

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

The baby wipes worked instantly and seemed the most "safe" to me! My daughter drew all over herself w/ red and green sharpies. I just got the really wet ones from the bottom of the tub and it worked. Try this before those other harsh suggestions. (09/01/2006)

By Heather

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

I just dumped a whole printer cartridge on my lap wearing shorts and the only thing that worked was toothpaste and an electric toothbrush. I swear by it!(05/10/2007)

By Haley

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

Thank you all so much for all of your posts and suggestions. I, too, had a wedding to go to when I got lots of black ink from a printer cartridge all over my hands. I tried many of the suggestions from what I had handy without much success except some fading from toothpaste and pumice soap. What worked the best for me was Spray 'n Wash Stain Stick and Permatek Fast Orange Hand Cleaner and a nail brush. Thanks for all the tips! (05/31/2007)

By Kathy

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

No Bleach! Especially on a child's skin - it can leave burns. Put a dab of Aquaphor (or other greasy cream or lotion) on the ink and rub. Then use a baby wipe to wipe it off. It comes off easy, and it's good for their skin. (06/12/2007)

By Bill M

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

Try washing your hands with a little bit of Comet scrub. Worked for me like a charm!--put lotion on afterward.
(06/13/2007)

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

My 18 month old daughter got a hold of a ball point pen and got it all over herself. I used the creamy baby oil and baby wipes. All the ink came off so fast. Wish I'd known about this years ago. Thanks for the help. (06/13/2007)

By Anne M

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

Most magic markers are alcohol based, as are many hairsprays. Simple Isopropyl Alcohol will remove most magic marker ink from most surfaces, and I suspect that it is the alcohol in the hairspray that is actually doing the removing. I use Isopropyl Alcohol everyday in cleaning and repairing consumer electronics. (kids + computers + magic markers make for an interesting looking PC).

(07/03/2007)

By Raven

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

My son got a hold of a pen and there was ink on his hands and mouth. I was lucky because I caught it so quickly and I don't think he swallowed any. I used olive oil on a rag. The ink came right off! That's it, just olive oil. I didn't want to use any chemicals and this worked! (07/07/2007)

By Mother of 9 month old

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

I got printer ink all over my hands filling a cartridge. I tried waterless soap, Goo Gone, nail polish remover, gas, hairspray, paint remover, nothing worked. Then I found this site and lo and behold bleach did the trick in about 10 seconds. Thanks.

Editor's Note: Bleach may work fine but please dilute it 1 to 10 parts water. Diluted bleach should work just as well and it won't be as hard on your skin. (07/24/2007)

By Jerry

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

Try Clorox 2 (not as dangerous as bleach) and scrub lightly with the backside of one of those sponges with a scruffy side. Worked great on ink from an ink jet cartridge. (08/21/2007)

By Richard

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

I had my ink jet printer black ink explode in my hands yesterday. Couldn't clean it for about 5 hours until I got home. I tried the alcohol diluted, nothing. Tried Olive Oil, nothing. Tried that Orange hand cleaner stuff that mechanics use, it worked a little bit. I even tried acetone, but nothing. Worked out, took a shower, still there. I washed my face with Clinique foaming masque cleanser and when I when I was does, the ink was gone! So, I recommend Clinque. (09/06/2007)

By Tracy

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

My co-worker was working with a permanent marker and got red ink all over her hands and desk. I used a baby wipe and Colgate toothpaste, along with rubbing with a little pressure. Ink was removed within minutes. (11/01/2007)

By Deborah

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

You know what really works, Windex. I never could of imagined but it really worked, really good. (12/07/2007)

By Haley Y

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

Hairspray works - just spray, wait for 5 minutes, then rub off. (12/11/2007)

By Alex

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

I got ink on my hands tonight, black printer ink at that. I tried everything I had that people said to us, it only faded it a little. So I used Palmolive gel dishwasher detergent it took it off immediately just barely scrubbed it in and it was gone. Make sure to rinse your hands well with water and use a moisturizer it can be a little drying. (01/12/2008)

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

I think using Bath and Body Works hand sanitizer is absolutely great. It leaves your hands smelling fruity fresh. (05/31/2008)

By Herbo

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

Ever try hot water and soap? (06/18/2008)

By Robert

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

The good old baking soda (sodium bicarbondate) that's in almost every kitchen will be far more gentle to your skin and the environment. Eco-friendly laundry booster will also do the trick. (01/11/2009)

By huhugrub

Removing Permanent Ink from Skin

I have suggested this before here. This works on permanent markers, ink, whatever. There is a product, used for gluing Plexiglas. It's called Weld-On #3 or #4. Put a little on a piece of cotton or something, wipe with this and presto, marks all gone. Wash well after. I keep it in the house just for this reason. By the way, it needs to be kept in a glass bottle, with a really tight fitting concave lid, otherwise it will just go away. (03/14/2009)

By C T

Removing Sharpie from Skin, Closeup of Sharpie Pen
Removing Sharpie from Skin
A Sharpie marker with its lid off.
Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from a CD or DVD
A Sharpie marker with its lid off.
Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from a Computer Screen
A Sharpie marker with its lid off.
Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from Plastic
An ink pen in a blue leather purse.
Removing Ink from Leather
🎉
🎄