Removing Porcupine Quills

Category Health
Woods scene with porcupine focused in the foreground and interested white dog out of focus in the back ground.
Care must be taken when removing barbed porcupine quills to lessen damage and further pain to your pet or yourself. This is a guide about removing porcupine quills.

If you ever have the bad luck to remove porcupine quills from your dog (or yourself), don't just rip the quills out. The barb will cause more damage going out than going in. If you snip off the quill, the hollow walls will collapse, allowing you to remove the barbed quill with less damage.

I never knew. You should have entered this in a contest. It is super. We members wouldn't mind if staff won occasionally, too. Thanks!

I thought it was a good tip too. Hope it can help someone!

I have pulled many thousand quills from dogs in my thirty years in the Yukon, and I know, that is the only way that works. Snip a bunch with the tiny scissors on a Swiss Army knife, then use the pliers on it to pull the snipped ones. You can't quite pull them with just your fingers, even when snipped, but with pliers they come out fast.