Removing Rust Stains from Concrete

Tools and other metal objects can leave unsightly rust stains on your concrete driveway, patio, or walkways. This is a guide about removing rust stains from concrete.

August 15, 2006 Flag

Our daughter has a cement bird bath that somehow has rust marks in it. Does anyone know how she can get them out of the bird bath?

Thanks to all.
Karifl from Florida

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

i know this sounds crazy but if you rub a lot of dirt or scrape some sandstone into the cement (instead of trying to get the satin out) you will darken the bowl of the birdbath and it will actually attract more birds. it has a more natural appeal to the birds that way than a pristine new look. you can also add some stones or sand to the bowl.

lay a paper towel on the rust, soak with water, let sit, and 10 minutes later, wipe up the rust.

And if you still want to get rid of the rust stains, try the salt and lemon juice that took stains out of my bathroom sink where an un-named teenager dropped a metal framed mirror and left nicks in the the porcelain. Just cover with an old rag to prevent the paste from drying out too fast. I later used the same solution of lemon and salt on other rust stains to good effect. The stains on the bricks holding up my flower pot shelves came right out. Also very good other stains like those on old fabric items you just dont want to bleach, like my great grandmother's lace collars and handkerchiefs.

I use a cap full of bleach in the water and I no longer have that rust.If it does appear, I use a tire brush and it cleans right out. That small amount of bleach does not hurt the birds.

September 28, 2011 Flag

Anyone have a good solution for cleaning rust stains off of concrete? A car has leaked rust onto our concrete driveway. I tried mixing OxiClean with hot water and pouring it on top but no luck.

By Connie E.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The best thing I have found for any kind of rust stain is "Whink rust stain remover" I buy it at the ACE hardware stores. So far it has worked on every rust stain we have had on every kind of surface. It even works on clothing. Just squirt it on and you usually can watch it just disappear.fI hope you have good luck with it too!

September 18, 2011 Flag

I have looked and looked for a cleaner that will remove rust from concrete with no luck. Does anyone know of something to clean it off or of another options that will work to get rid of it? I want it to look like before.

By Debi

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

While I haven't had this experience myself, I would try using a power washer.

September 29, 2010 Flag

How do I get rust stains off of concrete?

By Sandra

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Muriatic acid, rubber gloves, and a good stiff brush.

September 23, 2010 Flag

How do I clean a battery rust stain off a concrete drive?

By Brenda from Springfield, MO

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try pouring full strength vinegar onto stain. The longer the stain the longer you leave vinegar on. This works for rust stains left behind by patio furniture on a concrete patio, so I wouldn't see why it wouldn't work in your case as well.

Home and Garden Cleaning RustSeptember 21, 2013
Removing rust stains from a sink.
Removing Rust Stains from a Sink
Old wooden ladder leaning against a concrete wall with painted designs.
Removing Paint from Concrete
Rust stains around tub faucet.
Removing Rust Stains from a Bathtub
Rust and Peeling Blue Paint on Car
Removing Rust from a Car or Truck
🎉
🎄