Browsing: Removing Rust Stains from Toilets

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Removing Rust Stains from Toilets

It is nice to be able to keep your toilet clean and stain free. This guide is about removing rust stains from toilets.

Removing Rust Stains from Toilets
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

July 8, 2012 Flag

We have purchased an old building that sat empty for a couple years and the pipes are rusty. The toilets have rust in them even though they have been replaced and are used regularly. How do I clean the rust out? CLR doesn't work nor does any toilet bowl cleaners. Thanks.

By Trish

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If the toilet bowls are porcelain (and that's a big "if" - check with the manufacturers of your new toilets) a pumice stone works well in eliminating rust stains. They can be purchased at many hardware stores and usually come in small brick sizes at about 4" x 1" in size. Be aware that the use of pumice stone involves significant elbow grease, but again, they work wonders on porcelain toilet rust, lime, and calcium buildups. Good luck!

I have had this problem, not fun. Once I did this was amazing how easy turned out. I used olive oil (any cooking oil) and screen. You can buy this screen at hardware stores.Or you can cut larger squares of screen,cutting it into size squares you can easily use. Put oil on the screen (this prevents scratching) it removes rust,hard water stains etc.

I'm sure you can call the local stores ask about buying these packs of scouring screens. I found its cheaper, works just as well to buy larger replacement size (like for screen window/doors) cut into size I liked using. Good luck. Promise this always has always worked for me.

I have some rust in my water and I use white vinegar on my shower, shower curtain and my toilet. Just spray on full strength and let sit and it will take a swish with a brush in the toilet but will come clean. the shower I don't do anything with it but shower and before I get out or just after while wet I spray with the white vinegar. Good luck

October 22, 2008 Flag

In one of my bathrooms I have a commode that gets two rust spots in the same place, all the time, even on the very rare times that I have gotten rid of them. It is a brand new toilet. The really weird thing is that the new toilet gets the rust stains in exactly the same place as the old toilet did. How weird is that?

I've tried a lot of things: CLR, special rust free products, Comet, toilet wands, Greased Lightening. Anyone with a wonderful idea? Thanks so much!

Half a lemon is good on rust, but if the stain is in the bowl, oh well.

The Magig Eraser (or better yet the store brand) takes rust off of everything thing I have tried it on including the bathtub from the shaving cream can. Not sure how to keep it from coming back unless you try the bleach toilet drop ins. Good luck!

Make sure the two bolts holding the tank to the bowl are not steel. Brass ones will not rust or deposit a rust stain on the floor. That may be why the stains are always in the same place.

I have dealt with iron in my water for years and have found that SnoBol brand toilet cleaner will get rust off. The rust will come back though and you will have to clean again. I would not recommend that it be used on chrome fixtures. I will ruin the finish. I hope this helps.

Read More Answers...
Home and Garden Cleaning BathroomNovember 25, 2012
Removing rust stains from a sink.
Removing Rust Stains from a Sink
Rust stains around tub faucet.
Removing Rust Stains from a Bathtub
Rust and Peeling Blue Paint on Car
Removing Rust from a Car or Truck
Cleaning Rust off of Metal
Removing Rust from Metal
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 21, 2016 at 10:24:21 AM on 10.0.0.111 in 664 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.