Removing Rust from Metal

Category Rust
Whether it's tools that got left out in the rain or just general clean up, there are a lot of reasons to clean rust off of metal. Your metal items will last longer and loot nicer if you keep them free of rust. This is a guide about removing rust from metal.

I have an old milk can that is pretty rusty inside. I want to turn it into a fountain. How do I get the rust out and then reseal it to hold water?

The easiest woudl be to get out most of the flakey rust with a wire brush, then Rustoleum the whole thing.

To make it watertight simply get this marvelous product called Enviro Tex, and pour it in the can. Wait 3 or 4 days to make sure it is REALLY dry, or put a hair dryer in there. https://www.mic … h/M10178984.html

You can ball up a piece of foil, wet it, and rub. I have tried this on a rusted bicycle and it works.

How do you clean rust from a glass chandelier?

By Roberta B.

I would try Lime Away as it removes rust from porcelain tubs. Just soak it in it for a little while and see if it lifts the rust or rub over the area until the rust is lifted. If it's on the metal part of the glass chandelier; that's another matter. I think I'd be tempted to paint over the metal at that point.

How do I remove rust from metal items?

By Robin from Tobyhanna, PA

Hello, Try WD-40.

Depending on the size of the item & how severely rusted: a pencil eraser (or old-time ink or typewriter eraser, the kind with the abrasive in it); rub with various grades of emery cloth; wipe with WD-40; grind off with Dremel tool. Large tools and garden tools (wrenches, shovels, etc.) can be plunged into a pail of sand mixed with new or used motor oil; work the item in and out of the sand several times to remove rust & wipe off excess oil. Leave a light coat of oil on garden tools over the winter to protect from new rust.

Getting a wire brush from the hardware store is for starters. Some sanding paper meant for metal is another.

I was going to say WD-40 also. But the post from Pixiedust7 covers it all!

I have a metal box grater that has some rust on it. Can it still be used and if so, how can I clean the rust off of it?

By Maryeileen from Brooklyn, OH

Anonymous

Fine steel wool is pretty good at removing rust from metal. To avoid rust in the future, don't leave it sitting in water, and wash it as soon as you are finished using it, be sure to dry it well. Then if your oven is hot or warm, place it in there a few minutes so any water can evaporate.

This always happens to mine too. I finally got tired of replacing them and use my food processor. They make plastic ones. I don't know why the box ones rust and the food processor ones don't.

Maryeileen, try using "Barkeepers" cleanser. Just be real careful not to grate your fingers. I have yet to see one of those metal graters NOT rust.

Good Luck. GG Vi

I've bought some antique, not valuable but great looking, metal shelves that are quite rusty. The shelves were originally red and I'd like to keep them in their original condition, but just tidy them up a bit. I don't mind if some of the rust stays. They look like they need some rust removed and then some sort of shining product. I don't know if this possibility exists! Any advice would be very gratefully received.

By Kate D

I have a Peg Perego stroller and the front wheels are stuck. The bolts have rusted. Any suggestions for unrusting so I can change the bolts?

Thanks

cola poured on will eat at the rust. WD-40 may help too.

cj in dallas

You can buy a product called naval jelly that removes rust.

I've heard of using cola but I think it has to be Coke. Makes me glad I don't drink the stuff !

WD-40 reapeat if necessarry....

Kroil will work too....

How can I remove light rust from a gun barrel?

By Johnny from Tyler, TX

How do I remove rust marks from a gold metal table? It could be chrome, but it is gold colored.

By T from Bergen County, NJ

Have you used sandpaper? Do you just want to get rid of the rust without painting? If you want to paint, I read of a tip long ago that my dad used to keep rust from coming through. My dad found a wrought iron plant stand with shelves that was covered with rust at the city dump. He sanded the worst spots and then I told him about the tip, to cover it with vinegar. He repainted and never had a bit of the rust come through again.

If you do not want to paint, there are products at home improvement stores that you put on to get rid of rust.

My canning pot has rust on the bottom. What's the best way to remove it?

By Marilyn

My teapot boiled dry, the bottom was red when I remembered it, and now it's rusted on the inside. Is it ruined? If not, what can I use to get the rust out? Bon Ami isn't working too well.

By Beam