Removing Soap Scum from a Bath Tub or Shower

How do you clean soap scum off of porcelain tub and fiberglass shower walls?

By Yvonne from KS

Answers:

They sell soap scum remover in the supermarkets. (11/03/2010)

By Lilac

Any household cleaner such as Mr. Clean should take off soap scum, unless it has been built up for years or if it also involves hard water residue. If you have years of build up from someone never cleaning the shower, you will see various things in the archives, oven cleaner, Kaboom, etc. If you have hard water residue as well you are going to need something acidic like full strength vinegar or CLR.

When you get the shower clean, use a squeegee or towel to dry off the shower after every shower. This will prevent the vast majority of buildup. And prevention is the best thing in this case. (11/03/2010)

By louel53

I remember reading that clarifying shampoo works. I breaks down all the built up yuck in our hair, it works on the shower walls too. Worth a try. If it doesn't work, you can still use it on your hair at least. (11/04/2010)

By Beth

For my fiberglass tub surround, this works great:
Wet paper towels with white vinegar and stick them to the shower walls then spray them with more vinegar, let them set for about half an hour. Remove paper towels and scrape off the "melted" hard water and scum with an old credit card. (11/19/2010)

By sbdifalco

I used a pumice stone (the type you buy for your feet). I wet the shower walls, and the stone. Then rubbed the stone on the soap scum. I was amazed/horrified at how much soap came up in big flakes! It was super easy.

It worked really well on the mold that I couldn't get out of my grout with bleach. Turns out the mold was in the soap scum. The only difficulty was getting in the corners in the shower. I'm going to see if I can find a pumice stone that has better angles than the one I have and use it in the corners. (12/18/2010)

By sunstsorm

I ran across this post when I was searching for help to clean my horrific tub and shower walls. After trying lots of options, I found that Lysol Disinfectant Bathroom Cleaner 4 in 1 works fantasticly! I sprayed it on my "stained" tub, thinking that it was all stain, since nothing scrubbed nor scraped it off, just for the heck of it. It all dissolved or softened quickly, enabling me to bring it up with a pancake flapper, easily. I was impatient, so I did not let it sit for long. A lot of it dissolved, immediately, so I am sure if someone who can't bend over used it and let it sit for a good length of time, that would help the problem. I just had to post this for anyone else that searched, as I did. (01/14/2011)

By AlsoSurprised

cleaning a tub
Removing Soap Scum from a Plastic Tub
Hand washing shower wall
Removing Soap Scum from Shower Doors
Toddler with bubbles on hair and end of nose.
Homemade Bubble Bath Recipes
Shower Enclosure
Cleaning a Shower Enclosure
Shower Power Cleaner
Buying Shower Power Cleaner
🎄