Removing Soap Scum from Shower Doors

Category Bathroom
Soap scum is a white film that builds up in showers and bathtubs. It can be extremely frustrating when your trying to have a sparkling clean bathroom and the soap scum just won't go away. This is a page about removing soap scum from shower doors.

Remove the ring of soap scum from your tub with liquid laundry detergent. For a really bad case mix dry laundry soap with water into a paste and apply to scum. Let it set for a while. It should come off very easily. Works on showers as well.

By Walton from Mesa, AZ

To remove heavy soap scum buildup on clear shower doors without the heavy cleaning fumes use Avon's original Skin-So-Soft bath oil. Be sure to rinse well as the shower floor gets slippery.

By Debi

We recently moved into a beautiful rental home. There is one problem, the shower door has so much build up that it looks like it is covered in white film. The owners obviously did not bother to clean it. I have tried everything. I am just concerned that the soap scum has actually etched the glass, what can I do?

By nan from CA

Answers

Best Answer

Try Zep Brand Tub and Shower. It is available at Home Depot and is very inexpensive. Often the soap scum is actually on a layer of mineral deposits. If they don't have a water softener it probably is minerals.
What you need is an acid. Vinegar with some baking soda also works well. If you clean this house every week keep at it with the vinegar or Zep and it will cut thru.
If and when you get it clean you can wipe on Armour-All. It makes the glass look better and helps prevent build up. I cleaned apartments and when someone has lived in an apartment for a long time and never cleaned...some times we scraped it off. Fiberglass showers and glass doors were easier to clean down the road when the apt. would turn over again. We kept a log to check our results.
However, it the glass is scored by the minerals and harsh things people try to use to clean with you are S.O.L.

Best Answer

The thing with blades and scrapers is to keep the blades at a 45 degree angle, no more or less, and never scrape with a dry surface. Always keep the glass wet while scraping, this will keep the blade from scratching. I used this while doing all my construction cleaning--cleaning homes and businesses after the contractors are all done. Good luck.

Best Answer

I have used liquid fabric softener.

Best Answer

Use Mineral Spirits (aka White Spirits aka Paint Thinners). Like magic, it dissolves the scum the instant it touches it.

How do you remove soap scum off glass shower doors?

Answers

Best Answer

Supplies you'll need:

White vinegar
Baking soda
Spoon + small container

Scotch Bite non scratch scrubbing sponges
A window squeegee
Paper towels
Rain - X (this is from an auto parts store) 2 in 1 glass cleaner + water repellent

1. In your container, add 1/2 cup of baking soda and pour just enough vinegar into the bowl to make a paste.
  2. When the fizzing stops, use your sponge to scoop up some of the paste and apply it to the shower door.
  3. Let this sit on the door for 10 to 15 minutes.
  4. Now take a window scrubber and scrap the door and rinse it with water. Be sure the window scrubber is for glass, otherwise it can damage your lass doors.
  5. Now to keep the scum off your bathroom door you'll need to use Rain - X. This is a great automative product that helps water bead off your windows. It will do the same for your shower doors.
Best Answer

Cleaning soap scum

Step 1
Spray the door

Step 2
Put Barkeepers Friend in the doors

Step 3
Wait a few minutes

Step 4
Use nylon net to scrub off

Step 5
A magic eraser works well, too

Step 6
Use a squeegee after each shower to prevent scum from forming again.

What is the best way to keep soap scum at bay on glass shower doors?

By StellaBell from Manchester, WA

Answers

Best Answer

My mom kept a small squeegee in the tub for this. It takes almost no time at all to quickly run it over the the doors.

Best Answer

Best thing I know is vinegar and baking soda. I use this for most of my cleaning. No chemicals so is good for me and the environment.

Best Answer

Try Magic Eraser (or generic equivalent). Once clean, my grandmother uses a squeegie once a day to keep it from building up again.

Can anybody please give me a phone number where I can buy 365 Scum Remover as Tasmania doesn't sell it anywhere? Cheers.

By Lori

Answers

Best Answer

365 is the Whole Food brand. I'm sure you can find a phone number or website online.

Best Answer

365 Spray Scum Remover is no longer sold at Whole Foods.

I'm trying to remove soap scum from glass. I made a huge mistake trying to clean it with Cascade, but it only made it 10 times worse.

By Dulce

Answers

Best Answer

If it's very thick and on a shower door the quickest and easiest way to get rid of it is to put a straight razor blade in a holder and scrap it off. Work very gently.

I've done this on bathtub tile while the tub is dry. The scum falls in the tub and get it out with the vacuum cleaner attachment. I quit using bar soap for this reason. Liquid cost more but it doesn't form soap scum.

I have a septic tank. Our water is hard and very metallic smelling. It wreaks havoc on our showers. What product can I use to get rid of the soap scum that is also safe for a septic tank?
Thank you.

I want to find a way to remove soap scum from my glass sliding shower doors. I want something I can make from regular household chemicals.

Answers

The best thing is the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. You can get the knock-offs at the Dollar Store. So easy and fast!

How do you clean soap scum off shower doors?

By Marilee from Bakersfield, CA

Answers

The best way to clean shower doors is with used dryer sheets! Just scrub them with the used sheet, and the scum comes right off, and stays off longer, too. Also, it smells great!

I use a product called Bartenders Friend from Home Depot with a bit of vinegar and a non scratch sponge. Once my shower is clean I wipe it down with a towel after every use.

Then once a month I clean the shower and it is a snap because using the towel after every use it picks up most of the soap scum.

I just purchased a home. Two bathrooms have shower doors in very good shape, but on the bottom of the doors is a huge build up of water gunk. It almost looks liked dried on cement. I think it is old water build up. How can I remove this?

By Debbie f. from Mission Viejo, CA

Answers

I have used oven cleaner on shower doors. Works wonders.

Can a steam cleaner be used to clean plastic shower doors?

By Moosexquisite from Ramsgate

Answers

I adore my steam cleaner. However, I think you need to clean the doors first and then use the steamer after to keep the doors clean. The best product I've ever found is Don Aslett's Showers 'N Stuff. I buy a gallon at a time and use it in a spray bottle. Nothing even comes close to this stuff. I used it on a fiberglass tub that was stained brown that nothing would clean; this cleaned it in no time. Great, great product, and I wouldn't use anything else. No affiliation, just a huge fan.

Does anyone have a miracle cleaner for soap scum on a shower door? I have tried everything on the market. Nothing works on it.

Thanks,
Tena from Champaign, IL

Answers:

Cleaning Soap Scum on Shower Doors

I use Mr. Clean Magic Erasers. They always work very well for me. I use them all over my shower and tub! (06/01/2007)

By Robin

Cleaning Soap Scum on Shower Doors

Elbow grease and vinegar has worked magic for me! (06/01/2007)

By Sarah

Cleaning Soap Scum on Shower Doors

I was told to use Bounce static things those dryer sheets and wash the shower doors with that.And that's all I use to get the soap scum off my shower doors and my children love to clean the shower all the time.Try it it worked for me. (06/01/2007)

By Bridget-Marie

Cleaning Soap Scum on Shower Doors

Lots of good ideas, I clean really, really well, and then put Rain-X on - the water repels off, and then keep a squeegee and use that daily. It really helps. And then more Rain-X (06/15/2007)

By PolishPrincess

Nasty Rings in toilet...GONE!

We recently bought a home that has a well. The water was VERY hard, and the toilets were absolutely terrible! Other than the bowl itself being able to be cleaned relatively easy, there was still a harsh ring left behind even after the bowl was clean.

To remove the ring on the inside of the toilet bowl at the water level line: get a pumice stone that you buy in the beauty department for rubbing on your feet or rough skin. They are pretty cheap and it is the ONLY thing I have found to do a bang up job. Wet the pumice stone and rub it back and forth on the ring. It will develop a greyish paste, but that only helps you. Clean as a whistle! (08/16/2007)

By LoneWolf1038

Nasty Rings in toilet...GONE!

Cleaning Soap Scum on Shower Doors

I use cerama-bryte smooth stove top cleaner. Works great but is a chore to remove once dried. Guess I need to try rain-x once the doors are clean :) (08/30/2007)

By Jean

Cleaning Soap Scum on Shower Doors

I have found that using rubbing alcohol works terrific for removing soap scum. Sometimes a soap scum will prevent hard mineral cleaner from working properly. Remove the soap scum first and then use a mineral cleaner if needed.

Hope that helps. (09/10/2007)

By _Basser_

Cleaning Soap Scum on Shower Doors

I never expected to see so many great ideas. Can't wait to try some of them. This is a relatively new house, but the shower door is just as messed up as in our other house, where we removed it and put in a curtain. This shower stall is 3 sides of glass, so I can't remove it. I am going to get the doors clean and put on rain x. My husband uses it on the cars all the time. Thanks to all. (09/13/2007)

By Joan McKinley

Cleaning Soap Scum on Shower Doors

Ok so I am sitting here reading this thinking these are really inventive ideas. Being the lazy person that I am I chose the easiest suggestion using the Dawn on the shower door. WOW, IT WORKS! I just stood there in amazement with my jaw on the floor! How easy! Thanks for a wonderful suggestion! (01/01/2008)

By Bob McMillen

Cleaning Soap Scum on Shower Doors

I just tried the Mr. Clean Magic Sponge. Amazing! Thanks. (01/31/2008)

By Lisa

Cleaning Soap Scum on Shower Doors

Thanks so much for the advice! After scrubbing and scrubbing and even scraping with a glass scraper, I still couldn't get the scum off. I'm so glad I found this site- the Magic Eraser was really magic! I never would have thought of using it, but that's all I'll be using from now on! (02/01/2008)

By Cindi

Cleaning Soap Scum on Shower Doors

Kaboom works, I promise. I tried a bunch of different things people posted before I found Kaboom. Your shower doors will sparkle. (02/22/2008)

By Alison

Cleaning Soap Scum on Shower Doors

Having read the site, today I tested most of these ideas. None worked for me. I tried Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, Dawn dish detergent, lemon oil, white vinegar and even Goo Gone on different sections of my shower door, and none got rid of the soap scum film. I thought the goo gone and lemon oil were going to work, as the glass looked great. then I washed the oily stuff off. When the glass dried, soap scum film! if i wasn't renting this place, I'd buy new shower doors!

Any other ideas? I didn't try kaboom, but with what I've tried, I don't have much confidence in it.

Previously, I had tried Zuds and the Barkeepers Friend using a nylon scrub brush. No luck. (03/19/2008)

By Lee

Cleaning Soap Scum on Shower Doors

I tried the shampoo method and it didn't work - actually tried several times. I am going to try the Mr Clean magic sponge and let you know. If that fails, I will try the bounce sheets. Thanks everyone for all your ideas. I'm sure one of these will work. (03/25/2008)

By Barb, Ohio

Cleaning Soap Scum on Shower Doors

I've tried Lime Away, vinegar and water with lots of elbow grease and glass plus. It looks nice until it dries, then the fog is back. I'm going to try Mr. Clean's eraser since most of the comment recommend it. (04/06/2008)

By decboomer

Cleaning Soap Scum on Shower Doors

Ok, I finally got it after I tried everyone's suggestions. I bought Kaboom shower, tub and sink spray. It said to leave on 1-3 minutes. I got in the shower with the scrub pad, thinking I would have to have to use some more of my elbow grease. I turned the shower on, and all the soap scum and mineral deposits trickled down the doors. Didn't even have to use the scrub pad. FINALLY! (04/11/2008)

By Decboomer

Cleaning Soap Scum on Shower Doors

*** You have to read this ***

I've tried almost everything: kaboom, shout, water/vinegar mix, Mr. Clean eraser, dryer sheet (which left a small scratch in the glass), etc. I finally came across a suggestion: Mr. Clean eraser + a little dishwashing detergent. I thought 'what the heck'. I had already tried Mr. Clean eraser by itself, why not. Tried it. It was awesome. This is how i did it.

1. Applied a little bit of dishwashing detergent to the center of a Mr. Clean eraser.

2. Applied to my glass doors.

3. Used a wet towel to wipe the soap off (in case you're wondering, the towel was white, although I don't think that matters.)

4. Used another towel to wipe dry.
It left the doors sparkling clean! No soap scum, no residue, no streaks. They looked exactly the way they did when we first installed them. (06/26/2008)

By Shalymar413

Cleaning Soap Scum on Shower Doors

Sno bowl is great. Cleans all kinds of toilet rings. Kicks but with out the harmful smells. Check it out, cheap at Kmart.

(06/30/2008)

By Becky

Cleaning Soap Scum on Shower Doors

I tried Magic Eraser and dishwashing detergent and it worked!! It was so much easier than any other method I've tried and it looks great! I've used a squeegee on my shower doors after every shower since to keep it looking clean. Thanks for the great tip! (07/09/2008)

By sspiceo

Cleaning Soap Scum on Shower Doors

For those of you who have tried EVERYTHING and it still won't come off I can help! I also did everything listed about 10 different products when I realized its not soap scum its HARD WATER stain on my glass. Use Weiman's Stovetop Cleaner for glass top stoves. I used this with the scratch free scratch side of a 3m sponge a little moist barely scrubbed, wiped off with a towel and my glass is new again. this is after years of not cleaning the glass. (08/20/2008)

By Syd

Cleaning Soap Scum on Shower Doors

I clean vacationer homes, and I've found that oven cleaner works great on the glass at cleaning the soap scum. But, to not get the scum on there, DON'T USE BAR SOAP! In my home, we only use shower gel, and there is never soap scum on my shower walls, or even a ring in the bottom! (09/18/2008)

By Chrissy

Cleaning Soap Scum on Shower Doors

I was tired of the scum in the shower. I've always liked 409 but it just didn't cut it. Neither did bleach or ajax. I looked at this website and tried SHOUT for laundry spots. Oh MY! I sprayed the shower, used newspapers as suggested (they left black ink) I wiped it with a wet rag and voila, clean, sparkly shower. For the base I used some elbow grease with the scrub brush. It's white again. Forget the newspaper, use the rag! I've been telling everyone! Thanks all for your suggestions. (12/30/2008)

By Mona

Cleaning Soap Scum on Shower Doors

Soap scum on clear glass shower doors.Nothing is working on here at all, honestly tried it all and nothing is working not the Bounce sheets, Dawn, Comet, rubbing alcohol, CLR, dish washing detergent, hot vinegar, nail polish remover, Vim, Windex, or magic pad. Maybe I have different shower doors than all of yous but really I don't know. The idea that soap is a fat, you would think dawn soap would work or grease cutter would work but well nothing works so far Help. (01/23/2009)

By I tried everything here

Cleaning Soap Scum on Shower Doors

I tried the Magic Sponge and shout. It did not work. My husband gave me pure chlorine and 200 grit sand paper. That worked with no scratches. You have to keep the chlorine off the frame. Rinse often. Make sure you have gloves on. (01/24/2009)

By April, Lakeland, FL

Editor's Note Be careful when using chlorine (bleach) as it can mix with other cleaners and make toxic fumes.

Cleaning Soap Scum on Shower Doors

I have NEVER been able to clean soap scum off my shower doors. Until now, I just used Bar Keeper's Friend and a 3m green pot scrubber and it came off with no effort at all. This is amazing. All I did was apply, scrub and rinse and it was gone! (02/08/2009)

By Amy

Cleaning Soap Scum on Shower Doors

Kaboom works great, after the doors are clean, wipe the doors down with Rain-ex, yes rain-ex it keeps the water and soap off for weeks for less cleaning =)( (02/25/2009)

By Jaci

Cleaning Soap Scum on Shower Doors

Ok, listen up kids I'm only going to tell this once. I found the answer by mistake, just like all great finds. I was told to use newspaper and the glass cleaner in the can, which we have but could not find it. Looking around for something else I tried windshield wiper fluid and it didn't work. As I was walking back into the house low and behold there was the the answer to all this scum. "SIMPLE GREEN". I swear it works. I just sprayed it on straight and used a green wiennie (For anyone that has not been in the Navy, it's the green part of the sponge.) Then rinse and wipe dry. (03/21/2009)

By randy

Cleaning Soap Scum on Shower Doors

It works! I read a lot of your tips and wanted to use what I already had in the house. I had Dawn dish soap. All I did was add some water to the soap in a bowl and washed with sponge and wiped the scum away, then followed up with dry towel. It flippen worked. I then just used some Windex for good measure. (06/06/2009)

By Laural

How can I get my soap scum covered transparent sliding bathroom shower doors sparkling clean, like new, without scratching the glass? Are there any home remedies? Thank you!

What is an easy way to remove soap scum from shower and doors?

An easy way to remove soap scum from glass shower doors, is to clean them with a wet cloth that has a large amount of shampoo (any kind) on it then rinse. No scrubbing is needed. It is also a cheap way to clean.

How do I get rid of soap scum on a shower door?

I read that lemon oil can be used to clean Plexiglas shower doors. Is Old English lemon oil for wood surfaces OK to use on the doors?

Load More
Home and Garden Cleaning BathroomAugust 18, 2011
🌻
🎂
📓