Removing Soap Scum from Shower Doors

Remove the ring of soap scum from your tub with liquid laundry detergent. For a really bad case mix dry laundry soap with water into a paste and apply to scum. Let it set for a while. It should come off very easily. Works on showers as well.

By Walton from Mesa, AZ

30 More Solutions

To remove heavy soap scum buildup on clear shower doors without the heavy cleaning fumes use Avon's original Skin-So-Soft bath oil. Be sure to rinse well as the shower floor gets slippery. By Debi

We recently moved into a beautiful rental home. There is one problem, the shower door has so much build up that it looks like it is covered in white film. The owners obviously did not bother to clean it. I have tried everything. I am just concerned that the soap scum has actually etched the glass, what can I do?

By nan from CA

Answers

Best Answer

Try Zep Brand Tub and Shower. It is available at Home Depot and is very inexpensive. Often the soap scum is actually on a layer of mineral deposits. If they don't have a water softener it probably is minerals.
What you need is an acid. Vinegar with some baking soda also works well. If you clean this house every week keep at it with the vinegar or Zep and it will cut thru.
If and when you get it clean you can wipe on Armour-All. It makes the glass look better and helps prevent build up. I cleaned apartments and when someone has lived in an apartment for a long time and never cleaned...some times we scraped it off. Fiberglass showers and glass doors were easier to clean down the road when the apt. would turn over again. We kept a log to check our results.

However, it the glass is scored by the minerals and harsh things people try to use to clean with you are S.O.L.

Best Answer

The thing with blades and scrapers is to keep the blades at a 45 degree angle, no more or less, and never scrape with a dry surface. Always keep the glass wet while scraping, this will keep the blade from scratching. I used this while doing all my construction cleaning--cleaning homes and businesses after the contractors are all done. Good luck.

Best Answer

I have used liquid fabric softener.

Best Answer

Use Mineral Spirits (aka White Spirits aka Paint Thinners). Like magic, it dissolves the scum the instant it touches it.

Answer this Question

What are some good ways to get rid of shower scum on the glass doors? I have tried everything and anything I could possibly find, but they're still just ugly.

I'm about to throw them at the front door.

Answers

Best Answer

In one home I lived in I had glass shower doors and commercial products just did not work and I hated the soap scum on them. I used pure vinegar on mine. You will need to soak a sponge in pure vinegar and apply to the door. You need to keep doing this for 5 minutes and keep the door wet at the same time. Then allow it to dry. It will be easy to get them off after this. I did it all the time and it worked for me.

Best Answer

Use Brasso, it's a mlld abrasive , just follow directions . Do when dry with soft cloth . Then just rinse really well. Works really good on stainless Steel too. On those places that won't come off with these

S S cleaner.

Best Answer

The best thing that I have ever used for this is a magic eraser. It doesn't harm glass and takes all sorts of stains and sticky off of most surfaces.

Answer this Question

How do you remove soap scum off glass shower doors?

Answers

Best Answer

Supplies you'll need:

White vinegar
Baking soda
Spoon + small container
Scotch Bite non scratch scrubbing sponges
A window squeegee
Paper towels
Rain - X (this is from an auto parts store) 2 in 1 glass cleaner + water repellent

1. In your container, add 1/2 cup of baking soda and pour just enough vinegar into the bowl to make a paste.
  2. When the fizzing stops, use your sponge to scoop up some of the paste and apply it to the shower door.
  3. Let this sit on the door for 10 to 15 minutes.
  4. Now take a window scrubber and scrap the door and rinse it with water. Be sure the window scrubber is for glass, otherwise it can damage your lass doors.
  5. Now to keep the scum off your bathroom door you'll need to use Rain - X. This is a great automative product that helps water bead off your windows. It will do the same for your shower doors.
Best Answer

Cleaning soap scum

Step 1
Spray the door

Step 2
Put Barkeepers Friend in the doors

Step 3
Wait a few minutes

Step 4
Use nylon net to scrub off

Step 5
A magic eraser works well, too

Step 6
Use a squeegee after each shower to prevent scum from forming again.

Answer this Question

What is the best way to keep soap scum at bay on glass shower doors?

By StellaBell from Manchester, WA

Answers

Best Answer

My mom kept a small squeegee in the tub for this. It takes almost no time at all to quickly run it over the the doors.

Best Answer

Best thing I know is vinegar and baking soda. I use this for most of my cleaning. No chemicals so is good for me and the environment.

Best Answer

Try Magic Eraser (or generic equivalent). Once clean, my grandmother uses a squeegie once a day to keep it from building up again.

Answer this Question

Can anybody please give me a phone number where I can buy 365 Scum Remover as Tasmania doesn't sell it anywhere? Cheers.

By Lori

Answers

Best Answer

365 is the Whole Food brand. I'm sure you can find a phone number or website online.

Best Answer

365 Spray Scum Remover is no longer sold at Whole Foods.

Answer this Question

I'm trying to remove soap scum from glass. I made a huge mistake trying to clean it with Cascade, but it only made it 10 times worse.

By Dulce

Answers

Best Answer

If it's very thick and on a shower door the quickest and easiest way to get rid of it is to put a straight razor blade in a holder and scrap it off. Work very gently. I've done this on bathtub tile while the tub is dry. The scum falls in the tub and get it out with the vacuum cleaner attachment. I quit using bar soap for this reason. Liquid cost more but it doesn't form soap scum.

Answer this Question

I have a septic tank. Our water is hard and very metallic smelling. It wreaks havoc on our showers. What product can I use to get rid of the soap scum that is also safe for a septic tank?
Thank you.

I want to find a way to remove soap scum from my glass sliding shower doors. I want something I can make from regular household chemicals.

I'm a girl and I want to have a birthday party where I will invite boys and girls and where everyone would want to go. I may not be able to celebrate it at home so I need more ideas :)

How do you clean soap scum off shower doors?

By Marilee from Bakersfield, CA

I just purchased a home. Two bathrooms have shower doors in very good shape, but on the bottom of the doors is a huge build up of water gunk. It almost looks liked dried on cement. I think it is old water build up. How can I remove this?

By Debbie f. from Mission Viejo, CA

Can a steam cleaner be used to clean plastic shower doors?

By Moosexquisite from Ramsgate

Answers

I adore my steam cleaner. However, I think you need to clean the doors first and then use the steamer after to keep the doors clean. The best product I've ever found is Don Aslett's Showers 'N Stuff. I buy a gallon at a time and use it in a spray bottle. Nothing even comes close to this stuff. I used it on a fiberglass tub that was stained brown that nothing would clean; this cleaned it in no time. Great, great product, and I wouldn't use anything else. No affiliation, just a huge fan.

Answer this Question

Does anyone have a miracle cleaner for soap scum on a shower door? I have tried everything on the market. Nothing works on it.

How can I get my soap scum covered transparent sliding bathroom shower doors sparkling clean, like new, without scratching the glass? Are there any home remedies? Thank you!

What is an easy way to remove soap scum from shower and doors?

Load More

Home and Garden Cleaning BathroomAugust 18, 2011
🐛
🌻
📓
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf000286.tip.html