Removing Soap Scum from a Dishwasher

Category Appliances
Removing the built up residue in your dishwasher from detergents can seem daunting. This is a guide about removing soap scum from a dishwasher.

I have a new Frigidaire dishwasher. I use Cascade liquid detergent and liquid Finish rinse additive. After every single load, there is scum build up on the metal filter on the dishwasher floor. Is the detergent the problem?

Answers

Food and grease leave debris. Rinse the filter out periodically

Hi,
I would clean the dishwasher by placing a coffee mug on the top rack of the dishwasher. Fill the mug 2/3 full with white vinegar. Run this through a cycle. This should get rid of the scum and disinfect the whole dishwasher.

---Robyn

You may want to check the book and see what brand they recommend using. You could also try a small container of another brand (do not use the Finish) and see if you still have the issue.

Different soaps work different in different machines so you may need to figure out what works best with your new machine.

Did they send a sample of a product? If so, that is probably what works best with it.

Post back what you learn!

I say that possibly avoid the second product and make sure to try other soaps. Maybe powdered soaps would work better on this machine

also like someone said the idea of cleaning the trap out is a good one, as is to run a vinegar solution

also make sure your plumbing is doing well and that there's not a weird inability of the machine to not eliminate all the water after the cycle. maybe there's a weird backup somewhere

How do I get rid of soap scum residue in my dishwasher. It is not even cleaning the dishes any longer and it leaves soap scum all over everything.

By wanda from Tampa, FL

Answers

First, you should check the drain trap at the bottom of the dishwasher. Then, using some white vinegar, scrub down all surfaces, including the baskets, etc, and the soap dispenser. Afterwards, do this at least every six months. I rehabbed a monster dishwasher doing this, and so far so good.

More info here: http://www.wiki  rom-a-Dishwasher

Dee

Our water softener went bad and the hard water made a mess of our new dishwasher and dishes before we realized the problem. We got the water softener repaired, then used the Finish dishwashing product that cleans dishwashers.

It did a great job. Our dishwasher looks like new again. It is a one-time use product and is rather expensive, so look for a coupon. We were so happy to get this product since neither of us can stoop to clean the inside as suggested by Spacecadette.

You have got to use "Lemi-Shine" in your dish washer. This stuff works miracles with our hard water in Florida. My dishes come out squeaky now and no film. You can buy it at Walmart and Publics by the dish washer detergent or the dish washer cleaner.

We were having this problem too. I switched to the hot water option on the washer and now our dishes look great!

No added chemicals on my dishes, just hot water. Yay.