Cleaning Soap Scum Out of a Washing Machine

Category Appliances
Some detergents can leave a layer of soap scum inside your washing machine. This is a page about cleaning soap scum out of a washing machine.

What should I do/use to remove soap film build-up in a top loading washing machine?

By David from Menomonee Falls, WI

Answers

By thunderbabe (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Hi i use vinigar and baking soda works wonders

By Denise (Guest Post)
Best Answer

CLR works great also with the soap scum, mineral build up and smelly washer smell.

Best Answer

Use the powdered HE (stands for high efficiency) detergent for front loaders. Mine did the same thing until I switched. I use Tide.

I have a fairly new washing machine. The white plastic agitator and fabric softener dispenser are getting caked with soap scum. HELP! How can I get this goop off?

Sue A

Answers

Best Answer

Fill them both with vinegar and let it sit for a while. Then run an empty load (or throw in some rags or old towels.) It should dissolve the soap scum.

What is the best method to remove soap/softener build up from the tub of a washing machine?

By David P.

Answers

Best Answer

I've always cleaned mine by running it through the cycles empty (no soap, no clothes), set on hottest water and heavy duty setting. You can also add a cup or two of vinegar the first time to break any 'suds lock'.

It's a good idea to do this as a habit at least twice a year (more if you do a lot of laundry, and especially if you tend to use too much soap) to clean the excess or build-up out of the washer and hoses.

Make sure you pull the hoses and check the wire filters at each end of the hoses for build-up, too, before running the machine through the cycles-no point cleaning the tub. Make sure you reseat the filters and hoses properly to avoid leaks.

What cleaner can I use to remove soap scum from around the seal and the window of my front load washer?

By Kathy

Answers

Have you tried baking soda, and/or scrubbing with a used dryer sheet? That might work.

Home and Garden Cleaning AppliancesJanuary 28, 2013
🍀
💘

Generated 2020-01-13 09:56:58 in 2 secs. ⛅️️ ⚡️