Removing Soot From Curtains

Category Fabric
Removing Soot From Curtains
Soot residue can collect on fabric from wood burning and candles. This guide is about removing soot from curtains.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get the soot out of my custom curtains? I hesitate to put them in the washing machine and possibly ruin them knowing that I have only found 1 grease cutting product able to remove this stuff from the other surfaces in my house.

By Russlyn

It looks like it will be hard to get the soot out without either washing or dry cleaning the curtains. One thing you could try is sprinkle the curtains with baking soda or table salt (or a mixture) and let sit a while. Then vacuum them well. The salt or soda will absorb the soot and vacuuming will remove the surface soot.

If this doesn't get them clean, launder washable garments using powdered laundry detergent and the hottest water suitable for the garments. Soak them first for 30 minutes. Continue laundering garments until soot and/or odor are removed. You may have to launder as many as five times.

If you are afraid to launder the curtains, take them to a reputable dry cleaner.

Susan

Baking soda gets soot out of curtains and every thing else.

Theresa