Removing Sweat Stains and Odor from Clothing

My husband gets sweat stains on the armpits of his shirts. I have tried different detergents, soaking the shirts with many different "solutions" with no fix.

Also, some times the odor stays with the shirt and after the shirt has been worn for awhile there seems to be a deodorant residue that stays with the shirt and gets all crusty. Please help I am embarrassed for him.

By Alyssa from Casper, WY

Answers:

Take Clorox II powder and mix it with ammonia to make a thick paste and place on the armpits of the shirt and let it stay on there for 1/2 hour and then wash as usual. It the stains are really bad it may take more than one time. To get the bad smell out of your clothes toss in a cup of apple cider vinegar at the beginning of the wash and it will take out any smell. (03/03/2010)

By Deeshep

Add a cup of baking soda in addition to laundry soap to your regular washing cycle that should help. I do this on a regular basis for any smelly laundry and it always smells so clean afterward. (03/03/2010)

By wyomingal

I noticed when my husband bought a different deodorant/antiperspirant is when his shirts started to stain. I would suggest he try a different brand and make sure that he waits til it completely dries before dressing.

That said; to remove odors and most stains, I soak in white vinegar and it works for nearly everything.

What I did the first time I tried this method, I used warm water and about a cup of white vinegar in a prewash. I let the machine fill up and swished the clothes around until they were all wet, then I stopped the cycle and let them soak for 30 minutes. Then let it finish the prewash and wash as usual.

Now I add a little white vinegar to the rinse cycle every time, but just a splash.
White vinegar gets rid of odors and does not leave any adverse scent. (03/03/2010)

By dvg