Removing Wallpaper Glue from Walls

When preparing a wall for painting or new wall paper, it's important to have it clean and smooth. This guide is about removing wallpaper glue from walls.

Removing Wallpaper Glue
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

August 20, 2015 Flag

What is the quickest way to remove wallpaper adhesive from plastered walls?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I used a commercial product to remove the wallpaper, and then sprayed the adhesive with water and scraped with a spatula that is used to apply plaster. Then I had to wash the remainder off the wall. It was a bit of a pain, but not difficult. I do not know if there is a better way, or if a steamer to remove the paper would take off more of the glue.

April 23, 2010 Flag

After spending three days using fabric softener, scrapers, vinegar and water to get wallpaper paste off of the dry wall, a lightbulb went off in my head. I got my bottle of Krudkutter and sprayed it on the glue full strength. Lo and behold, it washed right off with a wet washrag. I could have saved myself two whole days.

You can buy it at Lowe's for $12.99 a gallon. I also clean carpets with it, pre-soak my white lace valances in it (takes all of the gold out from the gas furnace), and just finished cleaning the grout in my tile floor with it. Hope I'm smart enough to think of it first the next time I go to do something

By Sally from Zanesville, Ohio

Hi , Does it take grease and smoke residue off walls?

thanks, nanareth Anchorage, AK

How about vinegar and water? Like half and half. Spray it on and let it set a few minutes. Use an old credit card to scrap away any residue left. Cover up wooden base boards, and floors so they don't get soaked. Good luck.

April 21, 2011 Flag

I would like to know what to use to get old wallpaper paste off a wall so I can paint and put up new wallpaper border. Thanks.

By Susan from Fort Scott, KS

Sander

Do you get sugar soap in the US?

I have had no problem with this if I use a scratchy pad. You can get them at the dollar store for approximately 5 in a pack. Use warm water with a lot of fabric softener in it. Then rinse with vinegar water.

July 4, 2013 Flag

How do I prepare walls prior to painting, after removing wallpaper?

By Kitty

Use sugar soap to clean your walls

January 12, 2011 Flag

My son has drywall with wall paper on it and whoever put it up got glue on it and it has dried and won't come off. How do we get the glue off the wallpaper? Thanks.

By opalI from Gallipolis, OH

Are you trying to remove wallpaper glue from the front of the wallpaper? Or are you trying to remove the wallpaper from the drywall? Or is this some other kind of glue on the wallpaper? Please clarify, and then you will likely get some advice.

March 1, 2010 Flag

I removed wallpaper from a raw plaster wall. I want to wash the old glue out of the pores of the plaster before I seal, prime, and paint. What solution is best to wash down the walls to ensure the glue is all gone?

By Mary from Norfolk, VA

Not sure why you are worried about getting the glue out of the pores of the plaster your sealer should take care of it. if the glue is rough and you want a smooth finish then it is a problem. Depending on the finish you are looking for, whether smooth or textured would determine your next step. If you are wanting a smooth finish you are going to need to either sand down what you have or apply a thin layer of mud to make a smooth or textured finish. Then seal, prime and paint.

February 26, 2010 Flag

To get the rest of the glue off the walls after removing wall paper try saturating wall with cheap liquid fabric softener; the cheaper the better. Let it soak in for at least 1/2 hour than scrape off with plastic spatula. It does the trick very well.

By Sandy from Nova Scotia

Home and Garden Home Improvement WallsFebruary 26, 2013
    Blue and white retro wallpaper.
    Cleaning Wallpaper
    Removing Wallpaper That Has Been Painted, Gloved hand scraping off wallpaper.
    Removing Wallpaper That Has Been Painted
    Painting Over Wallpaper, Vintage Peeling Wallaper
    Painting Over Wallpaper
    Wallpaper Glue
    Removing Painted Wallpaper Glue
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 19, 2016 at 5:03:39 PM on 10.0.0.214 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.