Removing a Ring That is Stuck on Your Finger

Many of us have on occasion had the misfortune to have a ring stuck on our finger. It can be painful, cause swelling, and can be difficult to remove. This is a guide about removing a ring that is stuck on your finger.

March 16, 2016 Flag

The best thing I have found to loosen or remove rings from swollen fingers due to salt or altitude is creamy hair conditioner. It works better than soap or lotion. Just squirt a bit around the ring area and twist a bit to get underneath and around your knuckles, and it will usually slide right off.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 1 Comment

April 23, 2007 Flag

This works every time. If you can't get your ring off your finger, spray Windex all around the ring and off it will come. You'll never forget this tip after it works for you just once. Have a nice day.

By Gayl from Walpole

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 12 Comments

April 9, 2014 Flag

The subject of removing a ring from a swollen finger has previously been thoroughly covered in Thrifty Fun so I'm just adding some information about cutting into rings. Cutting a ring off your finger will not destroy the ring. Any ring can be repaired by a competent jeweler. The ring will probably have to be cut anyway in order to make it larger. Then you will still have all of your original ring, plus a little piece extra that makes it bigger. Even a diamond eternity band can be fixed but it will cost more than just having a normal ring sized. Be sure that you go to a jeweler who is really experienced in repairing jewelry.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 24, 2009 Flag

Tips for removing a ring that is stuck on your finger. Post your ideas.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Soap or cooking oil will help lubricate the ring and make it slip off easier. If your finger is swollen and the ring is firmly stuck the circulation to the finger can be restricted. If the above measures don't work most hospital emergency departments in Australia have ring cutting equipment to remove the ring before there is any lasting damage. The ring can be repaired afterwards.

Regards

Jo

Best Answer

I was given this tip by a jeweler who used this trick for pregnant women with swollen fingers before he resorted to cutting the ring off: use hemorrhoid cream! It reduces the swelling and greases up the finger so that the ring slides right off. Then just clean as usual.

Best Answer

Slide dental floss under the ring and wind the floss around tightly and evenly past the first knuckle. Move ring up as you wind.

Best Answer

Don't keep tugging, your finger swells. Try soap, oil, or washing up liquid. Failing all else I've seen one of the guys in the fire station cut a ring off a child's finger, and boy, did he like the attention! Marg from England.

July 12, 2009 Flag

I need to have my wedding ring repaired. However, I am unable to get it off of my finger. Any suggestions? I tried soaping it, but could only move it to the first joint. Short of having it cut off, I'm open for any ideas.

By Pat from Brookfield, WI

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Windex....crazy but true.

Toothpaste works for me, something semi cheap at least you can go to the dollar store and buy yourself a cheap brand.

Windex not worked; but dental floss worked for me. Thanks for posting the tips.

Warning: Be careful while using Dental floss; my entire finger turned blue; do it super fast, and during emergency, keep a ring cutter ready and prepared to call 911 or goto hospital. It was very scary situation, do not panic.

This worked for me: have someone else pull the ring for you, while twisting it.

October 19, 2011 Flag

What is the best way to remove a too-tight ring from my finger?

By CB

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Easy, liquid dish detergent or vaseline or even liquid soap.

Olive oil, cooking oil of any brand should work also. Just be sure, if you are trying to take it off over a sink, to make sure the drain is closed first.

Good Luck.

GG Vi

Lol grami948 is right! I couldn't get a ring off and tried everything. Finally I called a jeweler to ask if they could cut the ring off. The nice lady told me windex or any glass cleaner. My ring slipped right off! By this time it had become more stuck because of the many other things I'd tried!

Window cleaner, lotion, liquid soap; they all worked for me.

December 27, 2014 Flag

What do you do if a ring gets stuck on a finger? A ring got stuck on a child's finger and we wriggled and wriggled. The ring would not go past the knuckle, and if we tried to use slippery ointments, the child's finger turned blue. We are thinking of going to get the ring cut, but it might scare the child. Does anyone have other ideas that are not as painful as this? We do not want it to get serious. Do we need to go to the hospital? Thanks in advance.

By Mimi

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hospital Emergency Rooms and your doctor have experience in removing rings. Suggest to call your doctor or take the child to an ER immediately. Waiting may invite gangrene to set in, an extremely difficult and life threatening condition.

If you take your child to the emergency room, they will most probably cut the ring off. There is a wonderful tutorial on you tube on how to get a stuck ring off with dental floss! Check it out. The ring they used was really stuck and the finger very swollen, but the ring came right off using this method.

You could try to get his hand as cold as possible. Fingers tend to shrink a bit when they are cold, and you might be able to get it off that way. Another way is to try to take a long piece of waxed dental floss and get it between the ring and the finger. I can't remember the exact method of doing it with this, but I think you hold the top end of the floss, grab the bottom end and work it around and up the finger in a circular motion. Good luck!

Google or You Tube - removing ring from finger. There is an easy and quick surefire way to remove it with just a string!

February 16, 2015 Flag

How do I get a diamond ring off my finger?

By Helen

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Using lotion or Vaseline so you don't have to get your ring dirty will take a nickel size amount then massage on the area around your ring. Using butter can grease your ring but will easily come off. If you don't have those items in your house then using hot water and soap can lift it up a little.

September 24, 2009 Flag

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Health & Beauty Beauty AdviceFebruary 12, 2013
Homemade Finger Paint
Homemade Finger Paint
Pipe Cleaner Bunny Finger Puppets
Making Pipe Cleaner Bunny Finger Puppets
comtemperary wedding ring
Buying a Wedding Ring
Toilet Brush Head
Toilet Brush Head Stuck in Toilet
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 15, 2017 at 10:40:36 PM on 10.0.1.175 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.