Removing a Ring That is Stuck on Your Finger

Many of us have on occasion had the misfortune to have a ring stuck on our finger. It can be painful, cause swelling, and can be difficult to remove. This is a guide about removing a ring that is stuck on your finger.

removing a ring
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Tips for removing a ring that is stuck on your finger. Post your ideas.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I was given this tip by a jeweler who used this trick for pregnant women with swollen fingers before he resorted to cutting the ring off: use hemorrhoid cream! It reduces the swelling and greases up the finger so that the ring slides right off. Then just clean as usual.

Best Answer

Slide dental floss under the ring and wind the floss around tightly and evenly past the first knuckle. Move ring up as you wind.

Best Answer

Don't keep tugging, your finger swells. Try soap, oil, or washing up liquid. Failing all else I've seen one of the guys in the fire station cut a ring off a child's finger, and boy, did he like the attention! Marg from England.

Best Answer

When I was a kid my Mother washed a washateria. One time we were there a lady got her hand caught in a wringer. Her fingers were swelling fast, and she could not get her ring off. One of the ladies ran grabbed a bottle of bleach and poured in on her hand. The ring came off. With out the bleach she would have probably lost her finger, we were about 30 miles to the hospital. Since then when I have a ring that hard to get off I use bleach. It has never hurt any ring. If your finger is swollen you might do as Danialle said and soak your hand in ice water first to bring down the swelling.

Read More Answers...

The best thing I have found to loosen or remove rings from swollen fingers due to salt or altitude is creamy hair conditioner. It works better than soap or lotion. Just squirt a bit around the ring area and twist a bit to get underneath and around your knuckles, and it will usually slide right off.

Removing Too Tight Rings
    CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I need to have my wedding ring repaired. However, I am unable to get it off of my finger. Any suggestions? I tried soaping it, but could only move it to the first joint. Short of having it cut off, I'm open for any ideas.

By Pat from Brookfield, WI

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try taking a water pill, it may help. Also if you spin the ring while pulling it off sometimes they will come off that way when they wont pulling it straight off.

Read More Answers...

What is the best way to remove a too-tight ring from my finger?

By CB

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Window cleaner, lotion, liquid soap; they all worked for me.

Read More Answers...

What do you do if a ring gets stuck on a finger? A ring got stuck on a child's finger and we wriggled and wriggled. The ring would not go past the knuckle, and if we tried to use slippery ointments, the child's finger turned blue. We are thinking of going to get the ring cut, but it might scare the child. Does anyone have other ideas that are not as painful as this? We do not want it to get serious. Do we need to go to the hospital? Thanks in advance.

By Mimi

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Google or You Tube - removing ring from finger. There is an easy and quick surefire way to remove it with just a string!

Read More Answers...

This works every time. If you can't get your ring off your finger, spray Windex all around the ring and off it will come. You'll never forget this tip after it works for you just once. Have a nice day.

By Gayl from Walpole

How do I get a diamond ring off my finger?

By Helen

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Using lotion or Vaseline so you don't have to get your ring dirty will take a nickel size amount then massage on the area around your ring. Using butter can grease your ring but will easily come off. If you don't have those items in your house then using hot water and soap can lift it up a little.

The subject of removing a ring from a swollen finger has previously been thoroughly covered in Thrifty Fun so I'm just adding some information about cutting into rings. Cutting a ring off your finger will not destroy the ring. Any ring can be repaired by a competent jeweler. The ring will probably have to be cut anyway in order to make it larger. Then you will still have all of your original ring, plus a little piece extra that makes it bigger. Even a diamond eternity band can be fixed but it will cost more than just having a normal ring sized. Be sure that you go to a jeweler who is really experienced in repairing jewelry.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
      Health & Beauty Beauty AdviceFebruary 12, 2013
      Homemade Finger Paint
      Homemade Finger Paint
      Pipe Cleaner Bunny Finger Puppets
      Making Pipe Cleaner Bunny Finger Puppets
      comtemperary wedding ring
      Buying a Wedding Ring
      Toilet Brush Head
      Toilet Brush Head Stuck in Toilet
      © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 19, 2016 at 8:07:38 AM on 10.0.0.209 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.