Repairing Scratched Eyeglasses

I just read here that Armor Etch will remove scratches on eye wear. I have just a plain pair of glasses (no anti-glare coating). But they do have transition lenses. They're only three months old, but already have a couple scratches on one lens. Will Armor Etch work on these scratches, or is it just for lenses that have the anti-glare coating?

By jmju from MN

Answers:

Repairing Scratched Eyeglasses

Amour Etch is a cream to add frosting to glass, permanently. You may be thinking of Amour Coat that is for tires and dashboards, that is pretty oily. Don't take a chance, go to the place where you purchased your glasses to get them looked at, they can fix them. If you aren't near the original place you purchased your glasses, go to a near one, even a mall usually has a Lens Crafters or such. Replacing a lens that you ruined from trying something that can't be reversed is too expensive. (06/19/2009)

By OrahLee

Repairing Scratched Eyeglasses

Here's something you probably already have: rubbing compound. Remember when we used to do our own cars. The polishing compound (the white stuff) doesn't work as well, but the ocher colored rubbing compound with a little bit of rubbing takes it right off. I'm assuming we're talking plastic lenses, that the scratches are in the anti-reflective coating, and that you can get along without the coating. You can get along if you can now see again. (06/21/2009)

By H.L.Taylor

Repairing Scratched Eyeglasses

After reading many of the postings here and noting the reference to hydrofluoric acid as the active ingredient in Armour Etch, I remembered that automobile wheel cleaner had HF in it as well. I looked at the current ingredients in several bottles of wheel cleaner I had in the garage and did not find HF; the current active ingredient is ammonium bifluoride and/or ammonium fluoride, both of which are somewhat safer than HF. I removed both lenses and sprayed the wheel cleaner on them, using a plastic container lid to keep the liquid contained. I let it soak for about 5 minutes, rocking the lenses occasionally to maintain liquid on all of the surfaces, then rinsed them with water and dried them. It worked very nicely at removing the myriad of minor scratches I had. (09/11/2009)

By 68Bevr

Eyeglasses That Need Repair
Repairing Scratched Eyeglasses
Prescription Eyeglasses Sitting on Eye Chart
Saving Money on Prescription Eyeglasses
broken eyeglasses
Repairing Eyeglasses
Reusing An Eyeglasses Case, Empty Eyeglass Case
Reusing An Eyeglasses Case
Cleaning eyeglasses with a cloth.
Cleaning Eyeglasses
🎄