Repairing Eyeglasses

Category Eye Glasses
Minor repairs to your eyeglasses can be done at home. This is a guide about repairing eyeglasses.

Did you lose the screw from your eyeglasses? Here is a temporary solution to give you time to get to the optical store. Use a toothpick to hold the arm of your glasses on, so you can still wear them. Just poke the pick in the hole and break of ends of pick showing. It works great. In fact, I used it on my sunglasses and forgot for a while that it was there. :)

Glasses, reading glasses, sun glasses - I have lots and something always goes wrong with one of them. Of course, you can replace the screws (I save old broken glasses for the screws), but you can also reshape them gently.

I look at how they are out of alignment and then gently push them back into shape (easier if they have metal in the wings of the glasses). Real Simple magazine suggests softening them in hot water or by heating with a hair dryer first. That would be good for the really bad cases.

By pamphyila from LA, CA

I am hard on my reading glasses. I have 6 pairs that have one side or the other of the ear piece broken off. I keep the pieces, hoping one day to fix them somehow, but on each one a part of the top where the tiny screw holds them together had broken off. My husband remembered seeing tiny screws and bolts at the hardware store. They were the type used for model train pieces. We brought some home and it worked great! The glasses no longer have only one ear piece. We fixed all 6 pair the same way.

By Monica from Cortez, CO

It's so easy to replace screws in those eye glasses. I keep a repair kit in an old Altoids tin. Remember you need different sizes of screws, it's not one size fits all. You can save old sun glasses for the screws and, if you lack a little screw driver, you can use the wing of a brass paper brad!

This morning my glasses were so loose they were sliding down my nose. I keep a package of assorted rubber bands, and I selected two of the tiniest.

I doubled them and slipped them onto the ends of the glasses legs, then looped them once more, to make them as tight as possible. Then I slid them up the legs and into the hinges holding the glasses together. Voila! Now my glasses fit tightly again.

By Janet45101

How do I tighten up my glasses; they fall off my face?

By CW from NC

Answers

The eyeglass place where you bought the glasses should be willing to repair them for free. If you don't want to go that route, you can buy tiny repair kits at most stores, even some dollar stores.

Most eyeglass places fix glasses for free, or for a very low price. They will make sure they fit your face too.

Anonymous

Same answer, go to the place you purchased them and they will for sure adjust them for free. I have the place where I bought mine adjust them a couple of times a year and they were purchased three years ago. They actually even adjust another pair I have and I didn't even buy that pair from them.

How can I tighten my eyeglasses? They keep sliding down my nose and I have to keep going to the Optical Center to get them tightened up. Is there a kit or something similar I can buy to do this?

Onesummer

Answers

You can buy pads that adhere to the little pads that rest on your nose. That may help. You should be able to buy them at a Wal Mart or drug store where they sell eye glass cleaners and such.

Anonymous

Tightening up the screws, and then painting with clear fingernail polish, glue, or some other clear adhesive is supposed to work. The adhesive is supposed to prevent the screw from turning, causing it not to be able to work itself loose. What I do is remove the screw altogether; thread a thin sewing needle with HEAVY-DUTY thread or dental floss, and run it through the screw-holes, and tie it off very tightly. I got to the point where being able to use my glasses was more important to me than what it would look like, but if you use a thread color that closest matches the color of your glasses, then it really is not that noticeable. Just clip the ends of the thread closely after making sure that you have tied it so that you won't have to worry about it coming undone. And a dab of glue on the thread ends makes it even better. Now, I realize that not everyone is going to be able to live with this solution, but it's the best solution that has worked for me.