How to Tint Eyeglasses at Home

Category Eye Glasses
You may not want to risk damaging expensive prescription eyeglasses by attempting to tint them yourself. However, Rit dye has been used successfully by some to tint eyeglasses into sunglasses. This is a guide about how to tint eyeglasses at home.

I have a pair of eyeglasses I would like to tint. Sears wants $200+. Is there something that I can use to tint them? Thank you for any help you can give.

By SHERYL from Mercer, PA

Answers

Best Answer

I'm assuming that they are prescription glasses and you want to keep the frame. Take the glasses to a local discount Optometrist and tell them you want tinted lens inserted in your frame. From the adverts I've seen there are plenty of Optometrists about that offer huge discounts.

Best Answer

If the lens are plastic, you can tint them with clothing dye (Rit). Just follow the directions on the box or bottle. I did this with a pair of prescription safety glasses that I needed for work. The flourescent lights hurt my eyes, so I dyed my lens light brown!

Best Answer

The Rit dye works wonderful. Here is the recipe: 2 quarts water brought to a simmer, 1 oz. Dye, 5 drops of vinegar and stir. Keep the heat very low, between low and 1. Put glasses in and keep checking them every 10 minutes. I dyed one pair of glasses for an hour and they are dark.

Another pair of glasses for 15 minutes and i can wear them in the house too. Remember it will only dye the plastic ones. And oh, by the way it will dye the frames too. I used dark brown and everything is the same color. They look wonderful no streaks or anything.

Best Answer

For those of you looking for a cheap way to make your prescription glasses into sunglasses. All you need is iced tea mix. Soak them in the iced tea mix for an hour or so. This will dye them.

I know the basic stuff for dyeing glasses with RIT dye. I can't seem to get my plastic lenses dark enough. I wear prescription eye glasses with over sunglasses. My goal is to get the sunglasses so dark that no one knows or sees my spectacles. I would like to still be able to see though.

Thanks for the help.

Answers

I would not do this. The lenses should be UV protective. I got a pair like that at Dollar Tree over the summer. They fit over my glasses and I keep them in the car for driving.

While I would not do this, some one else wrote an ehow on doing this...see link at end of this message. If these are expensive glasses, I would not recommend trying this. If you have a disposable pair that you won't miss, you would just be out your time and the cost of items, then try it:

www.ehow.com/how_8496477_tint-eyeglasses-using...

I appreciate your speedy reply! The article you linked to is the exact one i followed in the 1st place. The overglasses are only cheap plastic so im not too fussed about replacing them.

I used this method of dying the lenses already. My issue is i cant get the plastic dark enough. I barley noticed a change. I followed the directions except for the distilled part. is that a big deal?
Thanks very much!

It clearly says that you should use distilled water because the minerals in other water may react and not work the same.

"mix it with distilled water rather than tap water to avoid discoloration due to mineral deposits"

Here is another link so maybe this might help. You may have to try a different lens as some plastic may not take the dye.

www.leaf.tv/.../