Removing the Tint from Prescription Sunglasses

Category Eye Glasses
Sometimes the tint color of your glasses is not the way you want it. This guide is about removing the tint from prescription sunglasses.

How do I untint a pair of eyeglasses? I broke my regular glasses and need to untint my prescription sunglasses.

By steve from Newburgh, IN

Answers

Best Answer

I worked for an optometrist and we dyed some of our own lenses. Please beware that some tint will probably remain. I agree with OliveOyl, contact whoever made your glasses. Or SOME optical shop. I suspect you'll have better luck with a local-type shop, rather than a national chain.

Best Answer

My lenses are polycarbonite. The opticians put a tint on that was too dark. I soaked my glasses (lenses down) in a shallow container containing a 50/50 ratio of household bleach and hot water. I continued to check them approximately every 15 - 20 minutes. The diluted bleach solution removed all of the tint from my lenses with absolutely no apparent harm to the glasses or lenses at all. To completely remove the tint took approximately 1 hour.

My glasses are tinted just a little too dark. Does anyone have any ideas to lighten them a little?

By Melissa from Cullman, AL

Answers

If you just had them tinted and aren't satisfied, try taking them back.

Did you get them from an optometrist, opthalmologist, or optical shop (were they made-to-order), or did you buy over-the-counter sunglasses? If they were tinted for you, you can take them back and have them remove some of the color. If they are Transitions lenses, they cannot be lightened (although I don't think Transitions get very dark). I used to work for optometrists who had opticals, and it wasn't a big deal to remove a little color from the lenses that we had tinted.

Tinted glasses too dark

Is there a home remedy to remove eyeglass tint?

By black from MD

Answers

Anonymous

If these are prescription glasses I certainly wouldn't mess with them by using homemade recipes we might suggest to you here but you could ask the professional place where you had the prescription filled if there is any safe way to do it.

I had my glasses for 2 years already it has a very light tint which its coming off already & I can't see try to scratch it of bt nt working plz any home remedies plz help...

I have eyeglasses that I had tinted about 1 year ago. The tint has started disappearing. Does anyone know what I can do to remove this tint and take them back to regular sunglasses? They have glass lenses.

By Barbara from Troy, MO

Answers:

How Do I Remove the Tint from Eyeglasses?

In my experience, the tint does fade over time. You can have them dyed darker to serve as sunglasses, but that will fade, too, over several years. Ask about doing this at any eyeglass store. (06/26/2010)

By OliveOyl