Scratch Resistant Coating is Peeling Off Lenses

How can I clean and remove the color coating and anti-scratch clear coat from my eyeglasses? Right now the coating is peeling off. It is so bad that I have difficulty seeing through the lenses.

By Nelson Rodriguez from Puerto Rico

Answers

Best Answer

Did you get the glasses from Wal-Mart? (I'm assuming they have stores in PR.) Their glasses are notorious for doing this. If you have the receipt from when you got them, and they're still under the guarantee period, just take them back to the store. They'll have to replace the lenses for you.

If you didn't get them from Wal-Mart, check the policy for the place that did make the glasses. They might have a similar policy.

Good luck!

Best Answer

I successfully removed the coating from my glasses. They are hi-index plastic. I don't know what kind of coating it was.

I read that tire cleaner containing hydrofluric acid was successfully used on plastic lenses. I grabbed an old bottle of tire cleaner having sodium metasilicate and sodium orthosilicate and put just a couple mililiters of it in a small ceramic bowl and submerged just the outer lense in the solution for about an hour. The coating dissolved completely.

I just rinsed it off and it was like new (except for scratches that had gone all the way into the plastic substrate). They look beautiful and I will get another year of use out of the lenses.

You can see my photos in posts below. Before microscopic picture of damaged coating is shown in red lighting. Green dish with lense half submerged in solution. Dislodged lense coating hanging from my gloved finger. Final condition of glasses. Only real damage to lenses is on one where I used my fingernail to try and remove the coating.

Best Answer

Soaking outer side of lense in ceramic bowl for about an hour.

Best Answer

Dislodged coating from one lens hanging off finger.

Best Answer

Before condition of lens. Microscopic photo in red lighting.

Best Answer

Bleche-Wite tire cleaner.

Best Answer

Back of container.

Best Answer

Final product. Great condition.

Best Answer

+1,000,000 for Armour Etch!
My glasses (polycarbonate lenses with anti-glare coating, no other coatings) were ruined when I got brake cleaner on them. They looked like they had tiny scratches and dots all over the lenses (like shiny spiderwebs), to the point that I couldn't drive at night with them. I found out about ARMOUR ETCH, printed out a 50% off coupon, and went to Michael's craft store for a 3oz bottle - $6.50 total.

After removing the lenses from the frame, put a nice thick layer on both sides of each lens (just gently dab with a q-tip, the goo is abrasive, don't rub and scratch your lenses). It took 2 times at 5 minutes each. I don't see why you couldn't leave it on for an hour or more. After washing them off, they are like new, other than a couple deep scratches. This will not magically get rid of deep scratches. It only gets rid of the scratched/crazed coating on the surface.

Best Answer

I took Fred's advice and tried my deodorant which is Right Guard and it contains Aluminum Chlorohydrate 8.2%, I sprayed it right on the lens and rubed it in for about 3 minutes on each lens and the coating came off. So there you have it. Thank you

Answer this Question

I've just read almost every article on this site for repairing scratches on eyeglasses, and can't find one problem that sounds like mine. I'm hoping someone has an answer.

My glasses have the scratch resistant coating on them which has slowly been peeling

Home and Garden Repair Other Eye GlassesJanuary 29, 2017
💘
🍀
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf88350448.tip.html